Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help please - random spotting

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I swapped over to a van mount last month and I've had two or three minor complaints since I switched from my back pack setup. I'm a little baffled and wondered if there's an explanation?

I don't know whether it's just a coincidence but it seems to be my first job of the day where I'm getting some spotting on odd windows. They dry almost like hard water. I use the same method and flow of water every job day in and day out so I can't work it out. I even changed my RO filters yesterday so today's complaint was on new cartridges. I also took a TDS reading last night, this morning and after I recleaned the two problem windows. All 000ppm.

I've now run back to check all the work I've done today and all are spot free.

Should I let my system 'run' for a few minutes before I start the day? Obviously the stored water has already been filtered with exception of going through the resin vessel so I can't see what difference this would make.

Any help, advice or explanation would be appreciated cos it's got me stumped.

Cheers.

Don't know if this is related but I find that the first window of the day I have to rinse longer as any water left in the hose overnight comes out like it's got soap in it, bubbles etc. I work with a trolley and work with the shortest hose I need. If I switch to another hose during the day I get the same thing again. It only happens when flushing out water that has sat in the hose overnight. As to whether it leaves marks I couldn't say as I've never taken the chance. My longest hose is only 25mtrs, so if you're working with a reel and say 100mtrs of hose it will take longer for this water to flush out

Don't know if this is related but I find that the first window of the day I have to rinse longer as any water left in the hose overnight comes out like it's got soap in it, bubbles etc. I work with a trolley and work with the shortest hose I need. If I switch to another hose during the day I get the same thing again. It only happens when flushing out water that has sat in the hose overnight. As to whether it leaves marks I couldn't say as I've never taken the chance. My longest hose is only 25mtrs, so if you're working with a reel and say 100mtrs of hose it will take longer for this water to flush out
I think you've help me figure it out with that though pal. It makes sense now!

I use the same hose to fill my system up which is running from the tap. When the system shuts off I turn it off my end and don't drain the hose.

Hilarious how I didn't think that was an issue. I'll now run the water for a few mins whilst I'm setting up at my first job to clear the hose.

Mystery solved. Cheers!

I remember someone once saying that they use a releasing agent on the former when extruding the hose during manufacture. Pure water sitting in the hose overnight will leach this out and absorb it into the water. Sometimes it can take months before it isn't noticed any longer.

Seemed like a logical response at the time so I thought I would repeat it.

Back