Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner brushes lifespan

Matty H

So, is it me or do the bristles on the Gardiner brushes (medium mixed dual trim esp) lose their shape quicker now? I was speaking to a windie yesterday he still has the same MM on it from the day he got pole 2 years ago! I tend to find the corner bristles splay outwards and lose their shape within a few months? Comments / experience?

I find the longevity of Gardiners brushes to be poor especially the xtreme versions. They are bringing out a new range of brushes next year which may have new bristles so hopefully they will last longer.

If you want a brush that will last longer then get a aerial brush they will out live a gardiner brush many times over

If bristles loose their shape then put the brush in a bucket or sink etc on it's side with very hot / boiling water and leave it a while. The bristles will start to straighten again.

If bristles loose their shape then put the brush in a bucket or sink etc on it's side with very hot / boiling water and leave it a while. The bristles will start to straighten again.
Does this actually work?

So, is it me or do the bristles on the Gardiner brushes (medium mixed dual trim esp) lose their shape quicker now? I was speaking to a windie yesterday he still has the same MM on it from the day he got pole 2 years ago! I tend to find the corner bristles splay outwards and lose their shape within a few months? Comments / experience?

You should expect the brush to wear, and then start to lose some performance. Factor in the cost for brushes that you will need over the year, to maintain your performance and earnings.

If you do this the cost may average out to £0.01p - £0.03p per customer visit, with an average size round. Or you could use the same brush for years, and save a few pence per visit; this would be at the expense of performance and earnings.

To be fair whatever you spend on a window cleaning brush, it’s probably going to earn you between 50 – 150 times what you paid for it in the first month alone, so a few months use with a window cleaning brush is about the right time to think about replacing it, or as soon as your performance and earnings are affected because of brush wear.

if u want a good long lasting brush get a tecbuk hibrid its the best out there £50 well spent my old one lasted nearly 1 year b for it lost its edg dogger has still got his tecbuk brush its over 2 years old lol:cool:

A year, 2 years! That’s to long tench, lol. The brush heads have been made to last longer than that. But I will have to start doing deals for customers with brush packages to encourage more frequent brush change so speed is maintained.

The main point smurf, is if you buy my brush for £50 and do 1500 cleans with it; the cost per clean is about £0.03p, you could keep using it for another 6 months or even a year, but is it worth it if you start to take even a bit longer cleaning each job, just for the sake of saving £0.03p per clean.

If my (Tecbuk) brushes cost £50 and a cheaper alternative that’s slower to use, but does cost less at £35, the cost difference per clean between the two brushes will be about £0.01p, that’s nothing, most people might see a penny on the floor and not bother to pick it up.

As my brushes appear to last longer, and can be used for longer (I don’t recommend this, if this starts to increase your cleaning time) its just about understanding the difference between price and value.

I tend to agree with Richard. Because the brush deteriorates very gradually you tend not to notice the performance going downhill until it's dropped off the cliff!! When you replace it, it's like......Wow!!/emoticons/biggrin.png

must say gardiner brushes started of great really quick, but some only lasted one to two months knackered

so switched to the tecbuk hibrid

was,int keen to part with £50, been using it three weeks now

straught away surprised how light it was

great scrubbing power

quite short in length spreads and hugs the window great

no wear on the brush so far

really pleased with the tebuk hibrid brush

recommended by

Mr Tench

The Red Polyester Hybrid brushes can be used extremely fast for maintenance cleans, if you are confident enough; Hybrid brushes easily removes most of the more stubborn marks/dirt quickly with the Boars hair.

But still it’s worth giving the brush a clean every now and again with warm soapy water to remove any oily deposit that may have been picked up on the bristles. This will eliminate any chances of spotting whilst maintaining your speed of cleaning.

Just common sense and good working practice to start each days work with a clean brush. It also raises or keeps your working hourly rate at its peak. If you can keep winprocleans feeling of ‘Wow’ when you first use a new brush, but do it with a brush that’s already been used, you will be better motivated, more confident of the results and possibly earn more each day as you fly through your work.

A mate of mine had his brush for 20years.

maxresdefault.jpg

Does this actually work?
It does for me. I have used this trick a few times. I have used it with Gardiner and Tecbuk brushes. It helps bring back the shape, but if a brush is past its best, and the ends are knackered, then the only thing will work is a new brush.

As WWC (Paul) mentions, if the brush is damaged replacing is the best option, but if it is the memory of the bristles splay, and that isn’t to bad, then that is possible to get it back, or close to its original splay. By manipulating the brush bristles with hot water, you may get another month or even a few months use from the brush, depending how much the memory of the bristles have altered.

wow i have had a Gardiner brush for over two years and i use it every day (apart from weekends) /emoticons/smile.png

I do keep it in the van as opposed to storing my pole on the roof rack like some people do, maybe this is a contributing factor to the wear of the bristles in some peoples cases?

wow i have had a Gardiner brush for over two years and i use it every day (apart from weekends) /emoticons/smile.png
I do keep it in the van as opposed to storing my pole on the roof rack like some people do, maybe this is a contributing factor to the wear of the bristles in some peoples cases?
Nope, all my poles are inside my van mate. I'm lucky if I get more than 4 months out of a medium mixed /emoticons/sad.png

Back