What van?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by neil_09, Mar 9, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. neil_09

neil_09 Guest

Riteo people.
    Astras sold.
    Got around £2000
    What van is good for size and for a large van mount. Around 5/600ltrs.

2. Paul

Paul Guest

I would say no smaller than a vw transporter type, as a vw with 600L tank full, driver and passenger that's at it's legal limit.

Maby fit a 500L legally in a mid size pegeout think they are called partners.
  3. mark m

mark m Hero

Feb 22, 2012
    I have a Renault traffic lbw great van would be more than big enough but if you have only got £2000 you might get a early one 02 -03 problems with gear box
  4. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

That is a very tall order neil, a decent van, of any size for 2k?. Yes there are ones out there, but can you find one?!. The vast majority of 2k vans are going to be a bit older, mega miles, not looked after, rusty, beat up, etc etc!.
    A 500l system is going to need a payload of at least 850kg, but preferably 900kg+, so that rules out anything in the citroen berlingo/peugeot partner/renault kangoo/fiat doblo class, certainly at 2k (the current berlingo and partner can be had with 850kg payload, the current doblo can be had with a 1000kg option).
    So, your problem really is going to be finding a van for that budget worth buying, condition is going to be far more important than what the van actually is, but here are some options.

Old shape citroen dispatch/fiat scudo/peugeot expert, these will fall into your budget, and turbo diesel versions have 900kg payload.

Ford transit connect can be had with a 900kg payload in lwb 230 form (like mine), but i'm not sure how likely it is that you would get one for 2k.

Ford transit (standard sized) are 10 a penny, and any swb transit will manage a 500l system, but a 280 or bigger would probably be best for a 600l system.

Vauxhall vivaro/renault traffic are available at this money, but have a reputation for gearbox problems.

Toyota hiace's are extremely reliable, but at this price will probably have mega mileage and probably be the older 2.4 engine. Swb 280 version is a very handy size, being quite small and manoeuvrable, but have a payload of over 1100kg, and 3 seats.

Ldv maxus are cheap and have a good engine, a swb 2.8t version will fall into your price range.

Ldv pilots are a throwback to a bygone era(!) being very primative and basic, but they are cheap, sturdy, uncomplicated (i.e, cheap to fix!) and reliable (1.9 peugeot diesel engine). They are more compact that a standard transit sized van, so more manoeuvrable. Payload wise, they come as 2.2t, 2.4t, 2.6t and 2.8t, for a 500l system you would want 2.4t upwards, for a 600l system, 2.6t upwards.

Vw transporters can be had at this money, but will be older, and probably mega miles, plus, remeber they are not as reliable as vw would have you believe!.

You could also look at a hyundai h100, or a mazda e2200. Both are very reliable and, esp the mazda (being longer) absolutely loved by carpet fitters!. Neither are esp nice to drive though, being 'forward control' (you sit on the front wheels with your legs ahead of them), so bouncy and noisy!.

Other options are a pickup with a canopy?, all of which will deal with a 500l system, and most will handle 600l also.

But as i said to start with neil, at this price, condition is everything, so dont go saying to yourself, "i dont want such and such a van, because i dont like the looks". Make sure whatever you are looking at is not due a major service or timing belt. When looking at a van, take someone with you who knows about cars/vans, and if you are not sure about it, walk away.
    Good luck!.
  5. Paul

Paul Guest

Well said BB I don't think this topic could be answered any better than that.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Guest

nice BB

i had 2k for a van ended up with a 1k van with full mot and full tax

2k wasent enough for a van i wanted either a newish scudo or connect transit around 54/55 plate i wanted and seem to be around 3-4k for a nice 1

time to get saving :]
  7. Iain

Iain Guru

Jan 26, 2012

Our fleet is made up of Peugeot Partners and Citroen Berlingos. Both excellent vehicles.

We also have a few Renault Trafics for hauling larger bits about
  8. neil_09

neil_09 Guest

Cheers for the excellent right up.

Iv narrowed it down today.

A 04 plate tranny van. Needs some body work which im good at so no probs there, and iv got 5 ltrs of silver paint left from a van that never got painted.
    £1800+ vat

Or a connect swb 52plate
    Nice cond.
    But unsure weather ill be struggling for space with it. Thats only £1600 all in

Ill keep looking and work thru the list you put bb. Cheers
  9. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

The max payload of any swb transit connect is 825kg-836kg depending on exact version, and that is the '220' version, if it is a '200' or '210', it is less. So your 500l system is probably going to be too much, and you would also be struggling for space anyway as the load space isnt that big.
    Your 'standard transit' would be the better bet, but you would still need to make sure you have the necessary payload, as even different engines make a difference. Looking on www.parkers.co.uk/vans/reviews, they list the '260 swb' with the 75bhp engine, only has a 741kg payload, which wouldnt be enough for either of your two systems. Even the '280 swb' with that engine only has a 953kg payload, so you would get your 500l system in there, but the 600l probably be pushing it. So you are looking for at least the 85bhp version of the 260 (988kg) or 280 (1188kg). Find out exactly which model you are looking at, and look up on the above website what the payload is to be sure.
  10. neil_09

neil_09 Guest

Cheers mate ill get exact spec of each.
    Even if i drop to a 400 ltr system i dont mind. Aslong as its more than the 125 the astra had lol