Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

changed the way i use backpack & van mount

WCF

Help Support WCF:

simon

had a van mount for nearly a year now & always done the furthest windows with it while my lad does the near ones with the backpack cos this seemed the best/fairest way as i have a slx n he has a clx, dad privileges like lol, now last friday for some unknown reason i changed , i let him use the reel at the near windows & i did the far ones with the backpack & ffffffffme we flew, it was loads faster on houses we do together mostly not on ones we do separately

i can only guess its the reeling out & reeling in opposed to just filling up & humping round either way ive been doing it all week & by monday we'll probably be ahead for the first time in months,

lots of you have probably worked this out but it was a bit of a damascus moment for me

Was working with my wife today and done this today as well, back packs just make life so much easier on some jobs, a lot of my work demands the back pack.

That's why I'm not bothered about a van mount

Backpack works well and quickly all the time

2 backpacks and a tank with bilge pump to fill them in seconds and you would fly round

Plus if you have jobs close to each other pull up and chuck the other person out with backpack and they can walk down after when it is empty and light

A friend of mine has discovered this works best for him too but with trollies. He and his son started out working with trollies, switched to a van mounted system and within two years went back to trollies. Says it gives them more freedom and they can work faster.

I've no doubt that working with reels from a van is right for many but it depends on the makeup of your round.

had a van mount for nearly a year now & always done the furthest windows with it while my lad does the near ones with the backpack cos this seemed the best/fairest way as i have a slx n he has a clx, dad privileges like lol, now last friday for some unknown reason i changed , i let him use the reel at the near windows & i did the far ones with the backpack & ffffffffme we flew, it was loads faster on houses we do together mostly not on ones we do separatelyi can only guess its the reeling out & reeling in opposed to just filling up & humping round either way ive been doing it all week & by monday we'll probably be ahead for the first time in months,

lots of you have probably worked this out but it was a bit of a damascus moment for me
I think some have got it into their heads that all work done by van mount is quicker, I disagree, what with snagging, reeling in, reeling out I reckon most of my residential is quicker backpack, proof of the pudding will be in the eating when I get a bigger van with tank in the New year.

Plus if you have jobs close to each other pull up and chuck the other person out with backpack and they can walk down after when it is empty and light
What bilge pump do you have is it battery powered or a hand pump, got a link? thanks

I have just a small tap on bottom of water tank and takes ages to fill barrel, then fill back pack from barrel. I do this as I try and work next to van and keep an eye on barrel filling, but sometimes it overflows:gush:.

is it like this Whale Pump Gusher Urchin | Marine Super Store

You can get a rule bilge pump on eBay for £15 they are good

Wire it to a decent 12v battery and switch near back door

Mount a solar charger on roof and it should last a full week

The manual bilge pump wouldn't you have to have your arm in tank to pump it?

I don't know as that is how i am going to do it eventually but I got the idea when working with someone who had that in his van

Big bore hose attached to bilge pump that is attached to a battery

Push button switch near door to operate and tap on the hose to switch the water on/off between fills to stop any water syphoning off between fills

Was filling backpack in seconds

Thats exactly why i want a Backpack:thumbsup: . Been vanmount for many yrs ,never had Backpack as its not common over here. People(other cleaners) kinda look Down on it , but theres Always that tricky back of a house that Jams the hose an consumes a lot of time ... :mad:

What bilge pump do you have is it battery powered or a hand pump, got a link? thanks
I have just a small tap on bottom of water tank and takes ages to fill barrel, then fill back pack from barrel. I do this as I try and work next to van and keep an eye on barrel filling, but sometimes it overflows:gush:.

is it like this Whale Pump Gusher Urchin | Marine Super Store
it depends what out let you have, mine has a 1" tank outlet but i have a 1" tap & 1" hose from it, backpack 22 ltrs fills in about 20 seconds

i resisted a van mount for years but got sick of humping backpacks on sacktrucks up & down steps etc that i gave in & it is easier on the joints etc & on bigger houses,blocks of flats much quicker cos of no filling up but as ive just realised not always

Thats exactly why i want a Backpack:thumbsup: . Been vanmount for many yrs ,never had Backpack as its not common over here. People(other cleaners) kinda look Down on it , but theres Always that tricky back of a house that Jams the hose an consumes a lot of time ... :mad:
My advise is to do what you think will help you.

i resisted a van mount for years but got sick of humping backpacks on sacktrucks up & down steps etc that i gave in & it is easier on the joints etc & on bigger houses,blocks of flats much quicker cos of no filling up but as ive just realised not always
Bang on. If your round consists of mainly really large houses (mine) or big commercial buildings a van mount cannot be beaten imo

i have 2 blocks of flats i used to just carry my backpack round, i knocked time off putting it on a sacktruck & almost halved it using a van mount i love it but backpack definitely has a big place

it depends what out let you have, mine has a 1" tank outlet but i have a 1" tap & 1" hose from it, backpack 22 ltrs fills in about 20 seconds
I have a wydale tank n it looks like it's a 1" size hole, but the joint put on looks like 1/2", so really reduces flow, I did ask was there not a bigger connection that could be fitted, but he didn't have one, he fits the size that is just required for shurflo pump. Pest. Really wanted this to be a fast fill instead off needing bilge pump n battery. Have you got link to the connection? No worries if not, i have tried looking, thanks

You need a 1inch to 1inch nipple form a plumbing centre couple of quid

Screw that in,attach some 1 inch hose and attach a shut off tap

You need a 1inch to 1inch nipple form a plumbing centre couple of quidScrew that in,attach some 1 inch hose and attach a shut off tap
View attachment 11422 There you go this is the tap I made cost me 6 quidShuts water off perfectly and hung on back door ready
that looks the buisness, I will show picture to screwfix. Thanks, I just bought a stick on clamp for hose today, as keeps getting in way of sliding door.

Latest Posts

Back