Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Time Cleans - Wary of Scratching- what does it take to scratch?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dave Sax

I have recent started wfp cleaning and have noticed on my own house windows , a couple of scratches . Im not entirely sure they werent there before but i cleaned all the grills first , frames etc ( im in aus where grills or security screen are common) and think i may have picked up some **** on the brush in the process - transformed it onto the window and scratched it . It may hve been a small wasps nests or insect cacoon etc . im now very careful to brush the brush before going onto windows .

Do you guys use different brushes on dirty frames and pay a little care in this respect or just go for it and brush the hell out of everything ?

Cheers

Hey Dave. Are you doing regular monthly like us in the Uk or going for an annual clean like the Yanks do?

If annual I suggest blasting the frames and screens first with a garden hose to her the worst of it off.

Scratching the glass WFP is a pretty damn hard thing to do. (Que the long line of 'my mate scratched 200 houses)

But in all reality you're gonna have to go some to do damage.

Good luck.

To scratch glass with wfp, you would pretty much have to put your wet brush in a sandpit and then straight on the glass. I've been working with wfp for eight years and never seen it scratch glass. I'm not saying it can't be done but as Green Pro says you'd have to be going some. I would suggest using brushes designed for the job and not any old broom head with jets stuck in it as some do when just starting out and trying to keep the cost down.

Nothing I've said applies to polycarbinate windows. They can be scratched quite easily

Hi - Thanks , Well i managed it on my own house , i had i scratch about 10 cm in the shape of a bunch of bristles, where id picked up something insect related !

We do probably bi-annually so they'll be dirty . I think im going to use a couple of different brushes , a stiffer for the cleaning of security screens/frames etc and maybe the wagtail stream for the glass - there are a lot of bigger panes here .

Never had that problem buddy! Just making sure these frames get a lot of scrubs at first , sometimes I might give the window a flush,just to soak the dirt while working the frames . Anyway every window got tiny scratches,and it may even be the previous windy, if it's a costumers house.

but how do you convince a new customer that the scratches were there before, i know that trad window cleaning can mask scratches by filling in imperfections with soap. and wpf and pure gets rid of that and shows the true state of the glass. so when you get new customers do you say "look pure water cleaning shows marks scratches that you may not have noticed!!" or do you point them out if you can see them before you take them on ....(a noob question /emoticons/tongue.png) iv only practiced on me parents house who do have a wfp cleaner but i have noticed scratches on some of the older d/g windows, first thought it was me :cool: but after some reading on hear realised it cant have been, used a brand new gardiner brush, the guy that dose the old folks house has one thats seen better days:thumbsdown: ( the paranoia of becoming a wfp cleaner has begun:wasntme:)

only problem you have is on new windows

any old windows you can always say" hang on your windows are so many years old any way"

never had problems with WFP less chance of scrathing windows than trad

Construction cleaning with razor does 99% of scratching . Used a little vision soap the first time with wfp and a nylon hog hair brush like a Tucker will keep you from a lot of trouble

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

one of my custmers went with a cheaper guy and he left 1 massive scratch down one window and she was on him like a rash before he had done the job , when I looked at them (4w later) theres only two ways he could of done this

as we clean at 125psi so there was northing left on the frame

1. he put the brush on the wall the lift it to the third story picking up a bit of brick

2.brush was lose and when he was giving it some it turned side ways and the stock hit the window on the up stroke

but how do you convince a new customer that the scratches were there before, i know that trad window cleaning can mask scratches by filling in imperfections with soap. and wpf and pure gets rid of that and shows the true state of the glass. so when you get new customers do you say "look pure water cleaning shows marks scratches that you may not have noticed!!" or do you point them out if you can see them before you take them on ....(a noob question /emoticons/tongue.png) iv only practiced on me parents house who do have a wfp cleaner but i have noticed scratches on some of the older d/g windows, first thought it was me :cool: but after some reading on hear realised it cant have been, used a brand new gardiner brush, the guy that dose the old folks house has one thats seen better days:thumbsdown: ( the paranoia of becoming a wfp cleaner has begun:wasntme:)
dont convince Them , just tell them! Its not your fault , and you dont have to provide evidence for something youre not guilty of .

Saw 2 different windies on 2 separate occasions set themselves up to scratch windows @noddy.

The first one stood his brush up against a wall only for the wind to blow it over. It landed bristle side down in the dirt. He picked it up and started to clean the window above.

The second did what you think he did; run the brush down the wall to lower the pole and started cleaning the first floor windows, giving no consideration to picking up and brick grit on its way down.

You have to be careful when trying to remove hardened bird poo in the window. Being tempted to use the edge of the brush stock can also scratch the window, especially if it has any bits of brick grit embedded into it. These could come from cleaning the sides of previous windows and catching the brush stock on the brick work.

If someone has been mixing cement and splashed it onto lower windows. It very tempting to rub the cement splashes off, but in doing so you can scratch the glass with grit in the cement.

Scratching sills can be done if the windie angels his brush vertically and runs it along the sill to clean the frame under the window. Any dirt on the brush stock will scratch the sill.

-

Scratching sills can be done if the windie angels his brush vertically and runs it along the sill to clean the frame under the window. Any dirt on the brush stock will scratch the sill.
that's why iv ordered some brush bumpers:whistle:

Back