Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First day with vanmount setup, aaaaahhhhhh

johnny bravo

******************************/Smileys/classic/undecided.gif******************************/Smileys/classic/lipsrsealed.gif

what a headache, compared to just getting backpack out and walk with trolley, stop and clean.

first of all no power, looking at setup and wondering whats wrong.

wire fell out of inline fuse, fixed that and powered up.

i have a tap on pole hose, 6mm but ive added my tap from my old backpack, a strong one.

pulling the pole hose , dragging 8mm reel hose meant the weight kept pulling the pole hose out of the pole hose tap. ******************************/Smileys/classic/cry.gif

the tap was out of a 6mm hose on my old backpack, clipped it into my 8mm microbore hose, slight drips ill need to get a 8mm tap for reel hose. and get it tightened onto reel to stop waterflow when needed.

kept getting drips in van, ******************************/Smileys/classic/huh.gif scratching my head. drips coming out of the swivel connector on the reel.

then it dawned i put no tape around the screw thread.

by this time water was getting under sheeting cover.

out come backpack to finish off work.

got home had to strip all gear out to dry wooden flooring.

hair dryer out, IF YOU BLOW IT UP I WANT A NEW ONE. ok i say.

all dried out , rubber floor covering dried out. GOD i thought, is it worth it.

dragging a long hose around. reeling back in, this is suppose to make my life easier. ******************************/Smileys/classic/huh.gif ::)rol

does it get better.

need to sort fittings out to stop leaksl

You've had a good day then...!! It will get better once teething problems are sorted and you get into a routine with new gear

My hose gets thrown along my shoulders with the tap hanging in front, this way it's simple to turn on and off and it limits the amount my taps are on the floor, also nothing to get snagged only hose easily dragged along the floor and my hose stays there until I'm back at the vehicle then I simply place my tap down and reel hose in ,

Only used backpack so far, and do plan on van mount, and keep hearing how much better, quicker and easier it is, but in my head not 100% seeing it, hoping it will make more sense when I have one set up lol.

best part was being able to turn water on and off instantly, never done it on backpack, smaller pump, more stress on a backpack pump,

jobs to do, refit swivel connector on reel, non leak,

get a 8mm tap for pole hose, no more leaks.

fit a hook fitting i have onto my waist to rest the reel hose on for tap, more accesible.

need to look for a tray to place reel on incase this happens again. any ideas !

I am going dit backpack and trolley first and then diy van mount

A lot of houses round here it's a case of walk round the block to get to the backs

Tried all, trolleys, van mount and backpacks,d't fid van mount any quicker now it's simply just backpack with no problems
Currently using backpack/trolley, and in my head can't see van mount being "that" much faster, but most say that it is after trying both.

On the fence myself until I try it, can see it being a little less hassle not worrying about topping up back pack all the time, but then you have to reel hose in and out all the time, and even with the amount on the back pack I manage to get it tangled on the smallest thing.

I've been debating this to myself for a month or so now. Think I may just continue with trad and get a trolley, that way I can buy a better/newer van (thinking of a Nissan NV200)

Plus I can then spend more time insulating and waterproofing the van myself ready for a van mount.

Put it this way I can turn up at a job with my van on a resonable size property - clear the gutters all round first, wash down all the plastics, deep clean a consevatory roof/sides then afterwards clean all the windows and doors too using wfp pure water on tap from the van. So ******** to using a backpack or trolley as is way too much hassle for me now.

As an extra service sorry I forgot to mention about cleaning their driveway, paving & patio area too but using their tap water as the amont of water i carry the water in my van would not last very long as runs at 15lpm. Or if more suited use a chemical wash instead.

There is good money to be made just doing one job offering multiple services instead of messing about with backpacks and water containers that's for sure if you ask me.:rolleyes:

Van mounts come into their own when on larger jobs too especially if you can make and use pure water on demand so you will never run out of pure water whilst working on site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Van mount all the way :thumbsup: I have a trolley but only use it for a couple of houses due to them being on a busy road and nowhere for me to park my van safely. A 100M hose is really easy to use. You get into knowing how much to reel off for every job after a while /emoticons/smile.png

I think a van mount is ok if you got a few houses together but the thought of reeling in & out god knows how many times a day I think would do my head in. Backpack is so easy. Plus if yer van fails to start or breaks down for any reason yer knackard. When I had my van if it didn't start just chucked in the car & carried on.

I can see the advantages of one but not to many. I can see what yer saying smurf but a bit different turning up at a £10 house.

I think a van mount is ok if you got a few houses together but the thought of reeling in & out god knows how many times a day I think would do my head in. Backpack is so easy. Plus if yer van fails to start or breaks down for any reason yer knackard. When I had my van if it didn't start just chucked in the car & carried on.I can see the advantages of one but not to many. I can see what yer saying smurf but a bit different turning up at a £10 house.
If I was going to turn up at a £10 house I'd rather have a wfp any day to a ladder it takes seconds to grab your hose and walk to the furthest window and after if takes seconds to wind a hose in

Van mounts are the only way forward for any business really serious about making big money , I carry 200ltr in my car and clean on average £150 a day and always run out of water , van mount is the only way for my business to expand as more water means more work completed

More water = more money to earn. I was close to running out today and I carry 500L
Old company I worked for we use to carry 1400ltr and.still run out but my boss was minted

Latest Posts

Back