Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Holidays

Fadsie1

I am about 8 months into my business and I am happy with the progress I have made so far I have around 200 customers and a mix of commercial and residential. I am currently working alone. I am hoping to hire help at some point to keep expanding but can manage my workload currently. My question to those with plenty experience is how did you arrange a week or 2 holiday without missing out on 2 weeks money? I can clean some on weekends etc but is there a good way? Any help much appreciated.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

You cant really if you are a sole trader, you cant be sat on a balcony in spain and cleaning windows at the same time. Just factor holidays and days off into your pricing, as for the work it just waits till i get back. You could work longer hours or weekends before and after the holiday if you want, thats up to you i cant be arsed with that, just charge enough in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want the Lifestyle to do that be prepared to work Saturdays and Sundays, I go Camping at least 5 times every Summer and I'm going to the French Alps August for 3 Weeks if work is late so what but make sure you price correctly to earn the Money.

I am about 8 months into my business and I am happy with the progress I have made so far I have around 200 customers and a mix of commercial and residential. I am currently working alone. I am hoping to hire help at some point to keep expanding but can manage my workload currently. My question to those with plenty experience is how did you arrange a week or 2 holiday without missing out on 2 weeks money? I can clean some on weekends etc but is there a good way? Any help much appreciated.
Don't tell anyone you are going. Most won't even notice. Over the years we have only had two old customers who noted their next clean on the calendar and would advise how many days late we were. Both are now deceased due to old age.

The one included the gap between Christmas and New Year as part of the cleaning days. It take all types and you will eventually develop a thick skin to the comments.

When we first started we didn't have enough work so customers got done bang on 4 weeks. A few told us to leave them this time and then complained when we did them at 8 weeks as we were late. (We took loads on nonsense from customers in those early days as we were newbies ourselves.)

Its May now, so if a customer asks when we are next around, I suck air in through my lips, look up with a frown on my forehead as though I'm over working the brain cell, hesitate and then say in all seriousness that it will be before Christmas.

If they need me sooner for what ever reason call me and I will fit them in.

I work alone now and the idea of a holiday is almost terrifying. I took four extra days off last month to have some time with my daughter and I've still not caught up.

Reality is customers are mostly reasonable and many have said to me 'just turn up when you can' because sometimes my work load is simply overwhelming. I text 75% of mine the night before so they're always aware of my visit and none of them moan if it's later than usual. If I get to go away any time soon the I'll just fit the overdue customers in where ever I can and then rotate them as usual back from there.

I have a 3 week holiday every Summer and nobody even notices....might get one saying your late but that's it.

Plus several long weekends throughout the year when we'll come home on the Monday.

Just work a few w/ends to make up for it.

Dont try to catch up thats the key thing for me. Just shift the round down a week or two.

My cleans are 4 and 8 weekly, but more often than not they are a week late, if ive been away sometimes 2. Hardly anyone says owt, just the odd couple who seem to know my schedule better than i do. I say start as you mean to go on, dont give them set days or times let them get used to you being a week late, they wont mind they will just expect it of you, i dont think anyone is really bothered as long as you are going with some regularity. I always explain due to the weather, holidays, break downs etc its not possible to be exact.

Maybe dont take on so much regular work that you are rammed out 5 days a week then you have some breathing room, i mean my round is not full, at a push i could get round it in 3 days a week, when i have enough for 4 solid days thats when i will be full, you need a day to play with imo.

So much less stress when you can have a day off or have a couple of days doing gutters and just pick up where you left off. Just dont let it get out of hand and start being a month or so late all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I go on my jollies in August I just disappear for a fortnight, come back and carry on.

I lose two weeks wages, but I've saved up any way and won't work weekends to make it up.

It was always my plan that I would work 6 days a week until fully caught up after some time off, But I am now rethinking that I will just work my usual 4 days otherwise any add ons I have booked in will end up waiting a lot longer to be done.

Just do what you feel is the right thing but as said above you have to take the hit whilst off as their is no other way.

Back