Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advise

• Advise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Advise

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
B

Biff

Hello to everyone. I'm just setting out window cleaning after 20 years of plastering ( getting to old for that game :eek: ) I have just brought me some water fed equipment and just wanted some advise on getting some customers as I have none at all yet or any other advise would be great thanks. /emoticons/smile.png

Get to know your gear and be confident using it, and then canvass. If you haven't mastered WFP, maybe offer to work for free with an established WFP'er for a day or so to learn the ropes. A website is a good way of attracting business. Try putting postcards advertising your service in local shops. Loads of help on the site if you look around.

Good luck, Tuffers.

Welcome welcome biff. As tuffers said really take some time to practice on your own, friends and family to really master the cleaning first. As said the have a hunt around on the forum lots of great advice. Maybe someone on here is near you that would be happy for you to tag along for a day or so.

Welcome Biff, as Tuffers said plenty of practice before you take on paying customers and you will be fine. You will always find plenty of help on here mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keep an eye on ebay and you can buy a round if its nearby.....you dont have to pay the silly prices some people quote.....i reckon four time s the face value of a round is the going rate....after all after four cleans you have your money back and of course can sell it any time....by the way welcome....i be a newbie on site too...though not as a windy.....my god plastering be far too hard......the kind of plastered i like is of course involving alcohol...

Hi guys thanks for getting back to me I've not fitted my kit in my van yet so no played with it. Can anyone advise me on first cleans I've read they don't come up right on the first clean and to charge more but I wouldn't want to be charged more if someone came to do mine.

Get out there and canvass. I printed a load of flyers on my printer when I first started but it is cheaper and more professional to get them done by a pro. I knocked on the door and said I was expanding my business / service in their area, would they like a quote for a monthly clean. Give them a flyer and hope they say yes. The houses where I got no answer I stuck a flyer through.

Advertise on Gumtree and any free directory. Get a Google plus / Facebook page as well and put regular posts on.

Its easier than plastereing , I use to do tacking when the house building was good but all the different spec plasterboard sort of killed it.

I would practice, practice, practice on your family and friends before offering your service. Then when you are ready get out and knock doors. You can get some cheap business cards from vista print, and just pop them through the doors where no one is in. A logo'ed t-shirt or jumper will help when canvassing. There is allot of old dears that a very dubious when someone shows up at there door unexpectedly, so courteous and professional is the way to go.

I would also get some trad gear as well, it will come in handy to be efficient with a squeegee. You don't want to be doing a shop and have to refuse to clean the insides of a door, because you only have a WFP.

Hi guys thanks for getting back to me I've not fitted my kit in my van yet so no played with it. Can anyone advise me on first cleans I've read they don't come up right on the first clean and to charge more but I wouldn't want to be charged more if someone came to do mine.
Don't necessarily think of it as charging more, but charging for the job. Trust me I thought I could just charge the same but first cleans are harder take much longer so you will want to be charging for that time. I have no idea about plastering but I am guessing if you had two walls the same size but one needed a lot more work and take more time and effort to get nice and smooth would that job not be more expensive?

It really is all about getting a lot of practice in and getting a feel for it. I'm not saying its rocket science, far from it but it's also not as simple as just splashing some water on. /emoticons/wink.png

Hi without talking about dangly bits o_O The place I'm getting my kit off says he is going to run the pump off my van battery using a battery guard system which will prevent the battery from going flat and keep it from going in to critical state.

Is this the best way or would you recommend getting a leisure battery as I not sure how long my van battery would last.

Biff, you can get a leisure battery click plus a split relay click that will connect to your van battery. This will keep your leisure battery topped up as you drive around. My controller has an in built charging facility. My leisure battery is 110ah and I will put it on charge once maybe twice a week just to make sure it's topped up.

Hi thanks for that tuffers. Can any one give me a good supplier for a van system as the guy I ordered mine off has disappeared or tell me how to build one as I reckon I could do this for half the price.

Back