Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Unger Traditional Pole

norm

Anybody have any tips on how to use unger telescopic pole?Tried my new one today and ended up throwing the head up.Any good advice would be very welcome

Sorry that this wasn't actually answered Norm, I remember reading it when you first posted but, wasn't sure exactly what you were asking as, most questions refer to what's on the end of the pole rather than the pole itself and, I wasn't sure what you meant by 'throwing the head up' :Image1:

I was sort of waiting to see if someone else could make sense of the painfully sounding head throwing comment before I commented and then, the thread then just sort of dropped off page one.

I'm a keen pole-er myself and love to share tips to help keep trad, well...trad.

I've thrown some rep your way for finding the answer though :Image9:

Mart.

Thanks for the rep Mart.Guess I was letting my frustration shine through.Throwing the head up in good old N.Ireland means my head is very sore doing this and I am going to stop because if I dont I will break my brand new unger pole into lots of little pieces.Was at my own house today with unger visa versa on 4 piece pole not satisfied with clean yet so I will try again tomorrow.I have detailing probs [anger probs also] as u may have guessed.

I use the wagtail myself. Wet the window an then flip the cloth back to squeegee. Some people attach their microfibre to the pole using a coat hanger with this system so they can detail without bringing the pole down but, I haven't tried this yet and I just bring the pole down and attach my microfibre with a cheap clip and detail the window.

It's important to have an angle adapter fitted though if you haven't already.

Mart.

I have an angle adapter as I found window sill stopped me blading to the bottom of the window. Was hoping to cut down ladder work I have a lot of widows with sloping roofs below and have to put my ladder at a v.bad angle with my mate footing the ladder to reach.Takes a lot of time and 2 men, must be a better way was hoping unger pole visa versa and angle adapter would help me sort this.Need to practice with sloping roofs below windows as angles of pole are going to differ from straight forward windows.I will be out next few days so I am going to bring my ladders and pole I will try my pole first then check with ladder and fine tune my technique on the job.

As you know, to squeegee the window, the very edge of the rubber needs to sit on the glass throughout the pull. The squeegee is naturally angled to ease this otherwise, you'd need to use your shoulder and have your elbow in the air to get the right angle.

LA000.gif

The problem with a sloping roof below the window, is it naturally adds angle...probably if you do the sums, it adds the amount of angle that the sloping roof is angled at...or something along the lines. So, you have to basically add negative angle on the adapter instead to remove the angle added by the roof. The probelm with this though, the angle adapter then tends to get in the way, it often hits the window sill and stops you from being able to close out etc.

This is where the zero degree squeegee comes into play.

LS000.gif
ls00_handle.jpg

Because the angle is removed, you have to create it yourself and so, reaching over a sloping roof of say 45 degrees, gives you 45 degrees at the rubber which is roughly the amount required for the glass. You just angle your pole to create the correct angle if not(remember, to use your angle adapter straight or remove it).

Yes, it means mopping, bringing the pole down, going back up and squeegeeing etc and will take more time but, it still tends to be faster than struggling with a standard angled squeegee.

I love my Unger swivelLoc 0 degree, it sits in my bucket with a 10" channel.

Hope this helps....

Mart.

The main tip when i was using unger poles was not to fully extend each section. Try and get the pole a bit stiffer, instead of being really saggy.

Thanks Mart and Extreme Damo this is good info.I like the sound of swivel loc 0 degree and having started at an angle I found myself straightnlng as I was trying out today allowing for a sloping roof .Leavling the pole not fully extended is a great help also ,helps with control cheers

Have to say stiff pole seems to work best for me .Dont know if there is anybody who prefers floppy out there? Anybody out there have any experience of this ?

I "think" floppy is better for larger panes of glass. "i think" lol

HMAN on here is ya man for that!

Back