Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pole'ing big windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TolishAPurd

I'm getting more and more tall glass to work on these days and would like to pole them. I am after a single section, 6ft (or thereabouts) pole, and a squeegee to compliment it.

I'm thinking of getting the unger unitec pole; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unger-Telescopic-Unitec-Poles-Traditional-Window-Cleaning-/181317043276?var=&hash=item2a3756844c

....and the unger zero degree squeegee; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unger-ErgoTec-Zero-0-Degree-Handle-Window-Cleaning-Washing-Squeegee-FREE-SHIP-/131093849551?hash=item1e85cd65cf

Are these any good, or is there a better option out there? Pole has to be single section.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I used both of these items for about 4 years. Fitted with a 14" channel. A great combination for poling. I personally kept the pivot bolt reasonably loose and did primarily side pulls. The Optiloc can be a little problematic as the locking mechanism wears and soils inside the pole. Nothing more teeth gritting than having the pole at full stretch and it fails halfway through a pull. These days I use the top section/s of my Reach-it Mini with Wagtail flipper. The Wagtail is much better in my opinion, especially with a Liquidator channel on board...

If you want to use 0° swiveloc take the screw bolt out and seperate the 2 halfs..file each of the interlocking edges and put back together

Then it will allow you to fan on the end of the pole saving the hassle of straight pulls

Wagtail is a lot easier but swiveloc did me for a long time

Cheers guys. I've already got a wagtail combi, its the 0 degree aspect I like the idea of. I did some straight pulls on these 9ft panels with my normal squeegee the yesterday and it was great,but it would be better if there was no angle on the squeegee. Nice tip on the mod dave.

I have found they all swivel differently. .some feel tight and some are looser.

I file them so that with the screw loose i can flip it side to side in my hand easily without the screw so loose the *** is about to fall off

for downstairs work my lads are equipped with a choice of 2 part Anza poles and 3 part Quickie poles . the 2 parter extends to about 6 foot and the 3 parter to about 8 foot . these are alloy poles, twist-to-lock ,the 3 parter being the more popular with my lads as its very well balanced

Over the years iv always bought these in BnQ

BUT in a recent visit to the store -i was stopped dead in my tracks -SH///T ,AFTER ALL THESE YEARS - BnQ HAVE DROPPED ANZA and an imposter brand of pole is now hanging on the shelves .

but the day was not a total dissapointment , a walk round Homebase i found theyve a half decent range of small alloy telescopics on sale

for downstairs work my lads are equipped with a choice of 2 part Anza poles and 3 part Quickie poles . the 2 parter extends to about 6 foot and the 3 parter to about 8 foot . these are alloy poles, twist-to-lock ,the 3 parter being the more popular with my lads as its very well balancedOver the years iv always bought these in BnQ

BUT in a recent visit to the store -i was stopped dead in my tracks -SH///T ,AFTER ALL THESE YEARS - BnQ HAVE DROPPED ANZA and an imposter brand of pole is now hanging on the shelves .

but the day was not a total dissapointment , a walk round Homebase i found theyve a half decent range of small alloy telescopics on sale
If I remember right, homebase stock all the blue unger gear? Not sure if there is any difference in quality to the green stuff we know and love though. Do you just use your wagtails on the end boar or something different?

I've got all the swivel stuff in my basket at cleaning spot now and am about to pull the trigger. @daveyboy1 does the swivelock squeegee take the regular notched channels?

If I remember right, homebase stock all the blue unger gear? Not sure if there is any difference in quality to the green stuff we know and love though. Do you just use your wagtails on the end boar or something different? I've got all the swivel stuff in my basket at cleaning spot now and am about to pull the trigger. @daveyboy1 does the swivelock squeegee take the regular notched channels?
alongside the blue Unger gear is a 3 parter homebase pole very similar to this kiddie . its the one to get because compared to the Unger poles its lighter and very nifty to use

this particular pole in the photos has been lost and found again many times a month later by my workers,its a firm favourite amongst me and the lads View attachment 5258 and is modified with self amalgamating tape grip + bike handlebar grip + Anza pole tip

wagtails work great with this 3 parter pole, very well balanced . i recently bought one of the homebase brand 3 parters ,to add to my stock its already gone missing,left somewhere on the round, bloomin annoying - hopefully will be found again laying on a garden bench or some such in coming weeks!

View attachment 5256

View attachment 5257

Last edited:
I would go for a Ettore Reach trad pole, bought one the other day for high internals and the quality of it beats unger by miles, my new go to poles. Plus they make them in every sort of lenghts you wish.

I can't pole top windows for toffee.I've tried but always leave marks.

More practice me thinks.
I can do it but only ever do it on awkward access windows above porches and the like. I avoid it at all costs though. The poling I'm planning todo is for tall shop front style windows, and one of my customers has just bout a set of doors worth 5grand which I reckon are about 9ft tall. Poling them was a dream with a normal 18inch squeegee so I reckon a zero degree would be even better as I could pull it down further and even fan with it as fanning with my wag would be reletively slow compared to an 18in straight pull.

Latest Posts

Back