Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When you feel proud to be boss of your business

WCF

Help Support WCF:

chris clean

Ok, so bit of a wierd thread but I just got home from doing a quote on which I didn't get the job but I have a big smile and just realised I feel really proud of what I have achieved and the standards I have set for my business. It was an old couple with big bungalow lots of leaded windows. They started by saying we have a window cleaner but he hasn't turned up the last 2 times and only does the glass which we are not impressed about. Quick look and I gave them the 1st clean and a reg price of £13. I do loads of bungalows on the estate all at the same price so I know it's right and even if not it's tough as that's my fee. The man almost laughed and said I'm not going to lie its a lot more than our cleaner he charges £9. I was so polite I impressed myself ha ha and said you will get loads of guys round here for £9 and I would absolutely use them if that's what you want to pay. However I run my business on recommendations and reputation and everyone else that uses me on your street pays that amount cos of the quality of work. Cos I turn every time and your windows frames and sills are left perfect each time. I said I could just do your glass for £9 as its quicker but I wouldn't as its not the high standard my business works to. The guy was now almost apologetic and said sorry it's more than I'm willing to pay. To which I bid him a lovely evening.

I know this is probably a conversation we have all had but I suddenly realised how proud I am that I have from nothing set up a business doing so well that I couldn't care less if I got that custie as the phone will ring plenty of times in coming days with people happy to pay what I want to charge and that I am working to a standard where I get countless recommendations and thats through my hard work and care. I don't normally feel good or proud of myself often but we all should as I reckon whatever joe public thinks running a successful window cleaning business that pays good money and provides for our loved ones is a really cool achievement!! Cheers guys

the price is the price as we have summed up the work involved and that is what we need to carry the work out

wen some say

sure u cud do it for xxx

no sorry its xxx pause then hand business card and say you have our number 7

It is good when you feel confident to charge what you want not what you think you can get

I loved my round in london before i moved and was good money for the time but i charged according to what others were charging

Now i started again up here i charge what i want for a job and consequently have less work for more money

Just got into softwash and now am quoting what i want for driveways etc not what i think they will pay and I'm doing ok from it

I would rather turn down 2 cheap jobs to do 1 well paid job instead and earn more in less time

anyone who already has a windie and is trying to jump ship [for whatever reason ] is always best avoided. once i hear them mention "wev a current windie " i always immediately sneer "oh have you now best you give him a bloody chance then " and leave as quickly as poss with a throwaway remark "i will be in touch.... all the very best.......to you and urs.... see you anon " but never do !

anyone who already has a windie and is trying to jump ship [for whatever reason ] is always best avoided. once i hear them mention "wev a current windie " i always immediately sneer "oh have you now best you give him a bloody chance then " and leave as quickly as poss with a throwaway remark "i will be in touch.... all the very best.......to you and urs.... see you anon " but never do !
I got to disagree a smidge there mate. I hear it all the time around here about how their current window cleaner wont do frames and sills.

Some even say 'refuse' to do frames and sills.

Oh well thats rhe other fellows loss.

View attachment 8424

I got to disagree a smidge there mate. I hear it all the time around here about how their current window cleaner wont do frames and sills.Some even say 'refuse' to do frames and sills.

Oh well thats rhe other fellows loss.
i bleve that if you take another windies work[no matter how bad at the job you think he is] itll come back to bite you ,when u least expect it. its karma . window cleaning is one of those jobs where karma really does happen. how many times have you said to yourself "now whats the odds of this happening?" when summat weird suddenly happens out on the streets .countless times, summat weird or spooky -the million-to-1 against it happening ,but it Did happen ,

anybody whos ever been a windie you know exactly what i mean

this leads me on to write about the windies 6th sense -where u know summats wrong . in your gut summats badly wrong- is it a customer dead inside that apartment .he never answers the door so thats not unusual but this time you KNOW hes gone. was it the way he looked in your eyes last month?

heres a little story for you,,,, ever since iv been a windie iv seen a lone wolf windie, you know the sort. a ladderman who never waves even when you walk right past him not even a nod. the grump"

whys he so ferrkin sour?

but hes out there ,on the street so uv still got the respect

anyhow suddenly you notice youre not seeing his car about, kinda miss hearing his hacking cough . my lads nicknamed him Hairball cos the coughs so bad

yesterday i jus happen to be working down the street he lives. theres his little purple car,,,parked up ladder on top.so he really isnt working. i KNOW summat bads in the air. the 6th sense tells me

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back