Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water Pressure Causing Damage

Hinty

Had an unusual one this week -

My current system is about 2 years old, and has been faultless until:

My first pre-filter cracked & flooded shed (Not frozen as it is heated)

Replaced

Broke again (No 2 Pre Filter)

Now replaced, but with addition of a Pressure regulating valve

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300803684308?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Found out the water company had been doing some work, causing pressure spikes, and what they called "Water Hammer" - similar to when you hear pipes banging.

For peace of mind - well worth installing.

Thanks for posting....I personally would not reduce the tap pressure as 40 psi (2.75 bar) is too low for ro membranes to work efficiently. That why you can get ro boaster pumps surely to boost the pressure and can double the production rate?

Think more likely the ro pre-filters you have are not such a good make or your ro filters has been damaged by frost/freezing up at some point (even though it's in a heated shed.)

I have an old purefreedom 300 gpm ro that has never had this problem due to so say water hammer damage. If I did I would put in a claim to the water company as most ro's are rated upto 100 psi so what the hell was the pressure they put through.

Got a pic of your ro setup?

My normal mains pressure is only 25 - 35 psi anyway, but the booster pump raises pressure to constant 80psi -so no loss in production.

I appreciate what you say about pre-filters, but can count this out as the filters were only 2 months old when the first case cracked, and when it did - I replaced them at the same time with new ones - supplied from Vyair as the correct ones for the system - not the super cheap ones on ebay.

On the freezing front - I have an electric heater with a frost stat just below the RO System.

Another Window cleaner near me has also had the same problem - and they are carrying out maintenance on the water mains at the end of our road.

As far as claiming - I would rather stay off the radar so to speak, as we are not on a water meter - and as I had a couple of spare housings i didnt have to shell out.

After speaking to one of the guys from Vyair - he said they have heard of this before - and have seen pressure spikes up to 6 bar (85 ish PSI) - but it is the hammering that causes the problems.

Will try to upload a photo - not sure how to do it yet so bear with me.

Back