Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using a Twin DI?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just budget for resin in your total costing

So when quoting think about costs of resin

On the whole compared to other business costs is it really that expensive

I'm willing to pay more just to have less hassle and faster pure water results

The pre filter ur on about is something I used to use when harvesting raimwater

What's your TDS?
I was told I should be able to make 4000 litres for £70 at my TDS. Better than the 250 litres I buy and the hassle with transporting it and time wasted getting it back, sure!
my tds is 70 ish

Is it best to secure the Di canisters, when I take them out of my car at the tap near my flat or when I fill up in a garage? Build some sort of wooden holder to secure them? Are they fragile if fall?

Good way to increase your life of your resin but if you let the first vessel creep up to the ppm of your tap then this will exhaust the resin in the other vessel twice the rate and ruin your resin.

Good way to increase your life of your resin but if you let the first vessel creep up to the ppm of your tap then this will exhaust the resin in the other vessel twice the rate and ruin your resin.

How high should you let the first vessel creep up to before throwing out that resin?

Leaching- you mean the resin disolves in the water then starts coming through hose?

For example if my TDS is say 320 from the tap, until how high should I let the first Di go to before throwing it out? 150?

But surely anything up to and including the input TDS and the resin is still pre-filtering the freshest vessel?
Tony I'm looking into this a bit more doing tests. The issue you have is the pores being blocked in the resin in the second vessel thus stopping the resin from working.

Chlorine can damage resin and dirt in water will clog up the pores in the resin.

Remember in our trade we do not take into consideration of our water structure. Other industry will have other filtration prior to resin.

No issues on resin in other industries where purity is key but in our industry any type of vessel etc.. is used.

When I have time I have been doing loads of test to find out what if scenario.

When you measure the TDS, do you have to put the TDS meter immersed in a bucket or something or do you just dip it into water as it is coming through the hose pipe before then after each DI?

I just fill the cap off the TDS metre about 3/4 full and use that. Have heard though that it's better to use a glass and rinse it out with whatever water your testing to get the most accurate reading. Don't submerge your metre as it will knacker it. Just need about 15mm deep

this question still applies to the thread so if useing one di vessil on trolly from job tap and water pressure is good if two vessils on trolly are used does this lower the flow much to brush? allso does pre filter reduce water pressure, flow by much

Ok,

To help me understand costings a bit better with DI water....

I get 16.5 ppm from my tap water, how long will a twin set up using Purolite (11ltrs) last or to put it another way how many litres will that produce before I need to replenish the first vessel? Would be great to hear some expert advice/historical data. Is there not some sort of calculation I could use??

Produced my first 150 litres this week.Went just fine.

It's dependant on a few factors like what the dissolved solids in your water are made up of (apparently) and how fast you flow water vs the volume of resin. The main point is to purify the water as slow as you can- the best way to achieve this is to fill your tank with tap water and have the vessels on the van, pump through them to purify on-demand. This ensures a nice steady, slow flow through the resin as oppose to blasting mains pressure/flow through it. Resin calculators are useless IMO they allow for zero factors like resin brand, number of vessels, speed of flow, TDS content etc etc- seemingly as accurate as a bent bullet! I've worked for over 12 years with twin DI's and tap TDS of between 65 and 125.

Back