Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hello from sw wales

WCF

Help Support WCF:

BenjiRixon

Hey guys,

been lurking about for a little while so thought id do as im told and say hi.

Ive been a window cleaner for nearly a year now, helping my friend on his large round. We were going to merge together and me 'buy in' to go halves, but........... after a long chat it was clear to see we both wanted different things out of it so we decided that we're gonna go our separate ways in a few months time. Him with his existing round and me with my own round (which i havent got yet)

im a chef by trade and have worked in kitchens for 18 years and hated most part of it. since helping my friend with his round ive never been happier. i help on his round in the day then go in to work the kitchen 6-10 pretty much everyday. like i said ive been doing that nearly a year now and love it so it doesnt feel like work in the day times because i genuinely love it. my friend is quite happy to carry on like this but i wanna knock the chefing on the head in time and just clean windows.

so my next step is to get a van, get my equipment and get my round sorted. i have a renault kangoo 1.9d with side loading door coming on wed on got my eye on this kit ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350657779978?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

any thoughts on the kit? (im in a soft water area)

round wise we're both going to canvass me a new round and hes gonna give me a few of his customers to get me up and running.. then the fun begins

really looking forward to it and excited about working for myself doing something i love, sounds sad i know but window cleaning ticks all the boxes for me. Just not looking forward to the paperwork and the whole going self employed form filling and record keeping!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome @BenjiRixon :thumbsup:. That set up looks ok. You could of course try and source it all seperately and get it cheaper. A 17' pole won't be long enough IMO. Also get another 11L DI vessel to make your resin last longer. You'll probably want a bigger tank after a while too.

I thought about getting all separate but postage on individual items all add up. Agreed a bigger tank would be nice but don't wanna kill what little power the van will have.

Yeah got my eye on a 30ft reach pole for high jobs, bought one off eBay for my mate 133 quid. Heavy as hell but not used all that often so prob get the same one.

Re the another vessel you mean put it side by side? I'm guessing to last twice as long and only change the first vessel when readings are high then the 2nd the next time?

Thanks /emoticons/smile.png

Re the another vessel you mean put it side by side? I'm guessing to last twice as long and only change the first vessel when readings are high then the 2nd the next time?
Yes. When you start you'll only use one DI. Then when the TDS rises you add a second DI. You put the older DI next to the tap and connect both DI's, making sure the flow direction is the right way round. The first one will be bringing your tap water down, so it will make the resin last longer in the second one.

CHEAPER USING AN RO, if you can do it at home, saving resin, just transfer water to van tank

ther was a water tank on ebay from wales a day ago.

all in all a fair price ,

Welcome. That set-up looks ok pretty similar to what i had. Except i had an SLX and two DI's my water down here is around 80-90ppm though.

hi and welcome to the forum BenjiRixon working in a kitchen wow thats hard....good luck on the windows..be your own boss...and keep us all informed../emoticons/biggrin.png

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Yeah bit worried bout working alone getting boring etc but worst comes to worst can take someone on.

I'm in Pembrokeshire bingo :)

Yeah he's a top bloke FairPlay. Love him to bits.

Shame we want different things really. But better not to work together to save a friendship :)

Welcome bud

I learnt years ago don't mix business with friends

Then again i learnt don't have business partners full stop as it never works

Good to be your own boss and you never have to ask for time off etc

Back