Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window Cleaner Shortage!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

james44

Britain faces a shortage of skilled tradesmen like plumbers, builders and bricklayers. The number working as window cleaners, carpenters or painters and decorators is also in decline. Ukip leader Nigel Farage said: “Being a tradesman is no longer the job it used to be because wages and stability have been cut by mass immigration from Eastern Europe.” Bricklayers have fallen by 19 per cent, while window cleaners have dropped 18 per cent and joiners are down 17 per cent. The number of cleaners has shot up by 33 per cent since 2009 as people working longer hours themselves struggle to find time to clean their own homes.

Female window-cleaning and building businesses are up by 10 and eight per cent, while women painters and decorators have risen by five per cent. There has also been a four per cent rise in chimney sweep numbers in the past three years, thought to be due to a rise in the popularity of open fires. The report, based on an analysis of 300,000 small businesses, said the findings reflected the decline in the construction industry since 2009. Jason Stockwood, chief executive of Simply Business, said: "It is worrying to see a decline in some trades in recent years, as the slow economy has hit spending on infrastructure and home improvements."

Well can't say window cleaners are falling in numbers here, each week I see new ones starting up!

So far this year there are several new vans on the road.

Rc exactly the same for me.

I was a little bit worried with all the canvassers going round, new faces, trad cleaners, wfp cleaners, loads of leaflet dropping going on.

Then it suddenly hit me.

I think THIS year i have seen about 10 - 15 window cleaners in my area. Only two were cleaning windows! May be new, but they have no work!!

It says there is a drop in window cleaners? is it a drop of window cleaners working for companies?

Female window-cleaning and building businesses are up by 10 and eight per cent,
Are people deciding to go on their own rather than work for a company?

People see it as an easy way to earn money, undercutting is easy but not profitable and they soon disappear from the area when they realise that £3 a house doesn't make sense especially when they are rubbish.

People see it as an easy way to earn money, undercutting is easy but not profitable and they soon disappear from the area when they realise that £3 a house doesn't make sense especially when they are rubbish.
Agree happens alot in my s

Area,every summer a bunch start up,go really cheap then vanish.

some of its true I use to be a joiner and I give it up in 2009 because of the lack of work and poor wages I went from £18ph when I finished my apprentaship then the last job was only£9.50ph round my town now the average joiner wage is £8 an hour

some of its true I use to be a joiner and I give it up in 2009 because of the lack of work and poor wages I went from £18ph when I finished my apprentaship then the last job was only£9.50ph round my town now the average joiner wage is £8 an hour
I have noticed that as well jimbob! some tradesmens rates have taken a dive! you can see why there is a drop in tradesmen from as you said £18hr to do that same job today you will be paid £8 its no wonder people are starting up on their own!

The problem first started with eu migrants as they work for lots less so all trades suffered a steep drop in hourly rates. Firms gave tradesmen a choice either go on a lower wage or be out of work.

Wait tll all the Bulgarians & Romanians start coming in January. Can't see a shortage me self. Loads of windies. More gardeners tho.

It is no secret that I believe there are way to many window cleaners in my area, we are in danger of becoming social pests! Quote of the week from my wife; " there are way too many foreigners in this country taking our jobs". My wife is French!!!!

Thats so true mate, people think window cleaning is easy and its far from it, people dont stick around for long.

Back