Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Removal of Solaire, safety film? It's a b******

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hanco13

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I've just started a new job this week that I've picked up. It's quite a large primary school and it's all lower level windows, so I'm doing it all trad. The deputy headmistress (MILF) , said when I was quoting up, that a few of the windows have an anti-glare film on them and she would like it removing where possible.

I tried pulling some of it off on the day and although it was hard to 'start it off', once I prised away one corner, it seemed to come off easily enough. I noticed that once I had pulled the anti-glare film off the glass, it left quite a lot of the sticky stuff it had been stuck with behind on the glass.

I was hoping that it would just be a case of soaping up with my applicator and then using my safety scraper to remove the gunk. Ohhhhh no!..... It's a bloody nightmare. This glue/adhesive is very stubborn and it's taking a hell of a lot of scraping. In fact it's going to more than double the amount of time I'm on the job.

It needs to come off because it's still tacky and in a month or so time, all the dust and **** is just gonna stick to it, making the job look like a right F*** up. I guess it's similar to the adhesive that's left behind when removing sellotape from glass, but it's a lot tougher to get off!

I just wondered if anybody could suggest an additive or agent which, when applied to the windows in question, might soften this adhesive prior to me scraping it?

The film itself is called 'Solaire Safety Film'.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, thanks in advance!

Lloydy Boy ✊

Ay Smurf, I like the look of that stuff.

I've got some oven cleaner/de greaser kicking about somewhere, I wonder if that might have a similar effect?

would probably work but not sure if that would stink the place out though

Ay Smurf, I like the look of that stuff.
I've got some oven cleaner/de greaser kicking about somewhere, I wonder if that might have a similar effect?

Tec 7 make a spray on solvent cleaner that works on glue remnants, available from B&Q and builders supplies stores. HG make "sticky stuff remover " that will also do a good job. My current glue remover is "Everbuild pvc solvent cleaner"

With any of these, apply then leave for a few minutes before scraping with a clean blade.

would probably work but not sure if that would stink the place out though
Lol. The films are all on the outsides of the windows Smurf, so I'd get away with it. Going to give it a go today and will post the results later.

Tec 7 make a spray on solvent cleaner that works on glue remnants, available from B&Q and builders supplies stores. HG make "sticky stuff remover " that will also do a good job. My current glue remover is "Everbuild pvc solvent cleaner"
With any of these, apply then leave for a few minutes before scraping with a clean blade.
Nice one WWC. There's a B&Q just round the corner from where the school is, so will nip off site and pick up a few bottles of the Tec7 solvent cleaner. Thanks a lot for the advice, much appreciated.

I use Evo Stick, and found Home Base half the price of B&Q - At B& Q you have to ask for it as it is behind the counter,

Comes in a small 250ml can but goes a seriously long way.

Will stink the place out (dont forget a face mask) but doubt you will be doing it whilst the kiddies are there anyway.

Ventilate with open windows as much as possible and smells will go in 20 -30 minutes.

I use Evo Stick, and found Home Base half the price of B&Q - At B& Q you have to ask for it as it is behind the counter,
Comes in a small 250ml can but goes a seriously long way.

Will stink the place out (dont forget a face mask) but doubt you will be doing it whilst the kiddies are there anyway.

Ventilate with open windows as much as possible and smells will go in 20 -30 minutes.
Ah Evo Stick sounds like a good idea Green. There's probably about 20 windows with the stuff on, 3 panes per window with the top pane of glass being 3-4 feet long. Therefore something which is going to go along way is a must.

Thanks again Green.

Back