Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can't find the staff

Squeegee Dan

Hi all, it's been a while.

Before I start my rant I want to say thank you to everyone that has answered posts in the past.

I've been on the windows since 2009 and started wfp since November last year which is going great.

But ..

I'm really struggling to get a staff member that actually wants to work. I've given 10 starts since the new year, 5 didn't turn up on the first day, 2 men lasted a day, 1 guy a week and another a fortnight... and the last man started a trail this week but he has absolutely no enthusiasm or motivation.

Can someone please give me some tips on hiring tidy staff.. I'm pulling my hair out here!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

they say that you go thru ten before finding a good one . maybe in your case its going to be eleven !

what age are the ones youve had?

my opinion ,you want lads aged under 20, you want them before theyve gotten bad habits that are set deep in the soul. ideally they need to be out of work about a year and feeling desperate

and you also need to make their first couple of weeks interesting too, maybe a suprise treat in a local cafe where the owner makes a real fuss over them [invites them to his boxing gym ]- you get the idea-something nice needs to be happening in their life. then youv got em on board ,the loyalty is what its about ,you can then step up the workload later

Last edited:
I'm in slight disagreement with @boarcity I find with the youngers you get 6 - 12 months at best.

I personally (and it is just opinion) Think the middle aged fella with kids to look after and the bills to pay is a more viable option. The type that wants to do his 9-5, watch the footy on a Saturday and see grandkids on a Sunday and know his bills are paid.

The culture amongst the young is that they would rather not be working. Working for a living is an option. Why work when there are benefits to be claimed for doing nothing?

.... and then you have to compete with the electronic games industry and keeping in touch with their mates every second of the day via social media.

-

The culture amongst the young is that they would rather not be working. Working for a living is an option. Why work when there are benefits to be claimed for doing nothing?
.... and then you have to compete with the electronic games industry and keeping in touch with their mates every second of the day via social media.

-
There needs to be a 'no mobile phone in working hours rule right off the bat.

You don't have to say on a public forum, but think how much you are paying them too. I found in my past experience earning £60/£70 a day but doing £300/£400 of work very demoralising!

You don't have to say on a public forum, but think how much you are paying them too. I found in my past experience earning £60/£70 a day but doing £300/£400 of work very demoralising!
Lol... the people I have had struggle to do 100 a day never mind 300/400. If they were bringing that in. I'd happily give them 100-120 a day.

Demoralising nothing. I'm traing a guy to go out by himself. Showing him how to price etc and been straight over how much I get and wats expected. He understands and can see the big picture plus the bonuses etc

When ever you work for a employer of course your going to earn a lot for them more than you earn

If you worked for any company your making them way more than there paying you that's business

Trouble is the only see the money they don't see the outgoings,tax and business expenses

To be fair 60/70 a day is way more than most infact 5 days £300-£350

6 days £360-£420

And it's hardly proper graft

finding a good employee is not easy. iv learned that its not how they look, nor how they talk that counts . But one thing i do look for though is honesty . a quick friendly chat about life will often catch out a liar .

if they brag wildly about ANYTHING you definitely dont want to employ them .An example that i once heard "iv been in the Navy, 5yrs on the ships " but then cant tell you which colour light hangs on the portside . nor which side is Portside.

Last edited:
finding a good employee is not easy. iv learned that its not how they look, nor how they talk that counts . But one thing i do look for though is honesty . a quick friendly chat about life will often catch out a liar .
if they brag wildly about ANYTHING you definitely dont want to employ them .An example that i once heard "iv been in the Navy, 5yrs on the ships " but then cant tell you which colour light hangs on the portside . nor which side is Portside.
EVERYBODY knows that. Both are the opposite to starboard /emoticons/wink.png

A friend of mine hires quite a few people for his business, he only hires people with disabilities, aspergers, that kind of thing, and he gets absolutely no bother at all, sure some need extra help to get things done or may be a little slower than a fully able person, but they turn up every day and get on with it and are happy to have been given a chance.

Worth a thought.

A friend of mine hires quite a few people for his business, he only hires people with disabilities, aspergers, that kind of thing, and he gets absolutely no bother at all, sure some need extra help to get things done or may be a little slower than a fully able person, but they turn up every day and get on with it and are happy to have been given a chance.
Worth a thought.
Is that window cleaning?

Yeah I was tempted to go down the autism route after watching this!
[media]

I think it may well be the route I go, I saw a programme the other week and there was a chap on there really clever but had Tourette's and couldn't get even the simplest of job anywhere and he was genuinely trying hard, someone like that deserves a shot and would work their **** off just because they are given a chance.

Though the Tourette's might not work with our job as swearing around houses with kids etc isn't great, but other disabilities, like aspergers, autism etc etc

Yeah, it would certainly take a bit more work to help them out and get them up to speed etc, but I think it would be more than worth it for the loyalty.

Plus I would love to give someone like that a chance who maybe can't get one anywhere else.

Latest Posts

Back