Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water fed pole, scratched glass!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jason Pitt

Jason Pitt
hi. I noticed that there was the odd scratch here and there on some windows that I have cleaned unsure weather they where there already or done by the pole. I rang up the supplier and spoke to them about this problem. They said that it's impossible for there bush heads to scratch glass, and that I have been doing everything right with the pole when It comes to cleaning the brush heads. I sock them every day in pure water over night to make sure there clean for my next day's work, and also clean them with washing up liquid once a week with hot water. After talking to them feeling better with them saying that it is impossible to scratch the glass with there poles. I went out to clean a house, I noticed when I was finished that one of the Windows very badly scratched and you can see in the picture below. They are at the top and come down 7 inches then stop all in a line, then some going across the glass from the window being rinsed. (supplier said keep brush on glass when doing the rinse). They where not there befor I'm very sure as I've been doing them 7 mouths now. I am now in contact with the suppliers again. Has any one ever had this problem, I know the bush it's self can't scratch the glass but can the dirt on it scratch the glass? And if so what can I do to stop this. I am now paranoid that this can happen again and I'm really starting to think that water fed pole is not such a grate idea. What do people think any help please?

View attachment 5386

View attachment 5387

It could be a stone etc,

Or you could be hitting the jets on the glass when pushing hard - but that's unlikely unless there protruding too far out... Have a look at the brush and see if that's possible, just push it on a hard surface and see,

What brush you using?

It's an ionic bush so should be good I think I haven't been pushing it on the glass though and they where not to dirty really. I came home and used it on our windows at home and it was fine. I have been using it for ages not really any problem but the scratches that i noticed today where very bad.

Might not have been you then mate,

Or if it was, then it's a freak accident, and it could only be a stone or something that did it...

I wouldn't worry, it's almost never happens to window cleaners, you never hear of it happening on here etc, so probably just one of those freak things - that is to say if it was actually you in the first place...

well that's what I'm hoping just paranoid now that it was me. Don't want to lose my business over a scratched window. People gossip... I'm always so careful making sure there clean so I can't see how it could be me. Just don't want to make a clam on insurance really. Thanks Jack

I get paranoid all the time cleaning windows, its a occupation hazard, sometimes I don't trust wfp, when you walk away n hope it drys ok:hey:

That's ok 'Jonathan' :rofl:

Yeah don't worry mate, I'm sure you would have noticed the scratching as you were cleaning the window if it were you...

Is it a downstairs window?

Yes there down stairs Windows. Well I didn't see them befor then after it had dryed I could see them from meters away. Haven't said anything to them just hoping they don't call me about it. Ionic brushes are good brushes right??

Never used them, there not that popular, but that's more to do with the fact that the forums are nearly always Gardiner/facelift/xline users... So it tends to stay that way,

But yeah if they were downstairs then I'd be very surprised if you didn't hear, see, or feel the scratching, so I'd say it's almost 100% not you mate

have u get moved the brusg away or angled it to clean the side of a window and the plastic has touched the glass ??

i done this a while back on sash window turned brush upsode down to clean under the window and whole way along the pane had to replace it ****

have u get moved the brusg away or angled it to clean the side of a window and the plastic has touched the glass ??
i done this a while back on sash window turned brush upsode down to clean under the window and whole way along the pane had to replace it ****
hi peter. No I keep the brush on the window and go across the window moving the bush down as I rinse.this is what they said to do on the course I went in. I know what your saying but the plastic part of the brush has not touched the glass. If it was me something must of got trapped in the brush head but I have no idea how or why this has happend. Water flow was strong too. But it's very concerning because the brush should not be holding dirt in it, they are self cleaning Well that's what they say.

This might be a stoopid question but the smooth round plastic edge of a brush shouldn't scratch glass either should it? To scratch it, it would need to be harder than the glass, so I would think it would need to be a stone or metal or something...

I get paranoid if I see a scratch too but I put it down to the previous windie lol. The only thing that makes you wonder if not from a being cleaned (and not on a patio door or downstairs window), where else would the scratch come from... An angry bird?

I wouldn't worry too much mate

My back door window in my house is scratched to hell you can only see it in certain light in the morning as its east facing all other times looks normal even close up you can't see them. Don't know if you clean them at the same ish time on your round every month and maybe changed the time and now they're noticeable?

Also when I use pure water on them they defiantly don't show as much where as when I trad it, you see them a lot more.

More than likely customer knows it's scratched already and bugger all to do with your technique?

do you rest ur brush against brick walls

This might be a stoopid question but the smooth round plastic edge of a brush shouldn't scratch glass either should it? To scratch it, it would need to be harder than the glass, so I would think it would need to be a stone or metal or something...
I get paranoid if I see a scratch too but I put it down to the previous windie lol. The only thing that makes you wonder if not from a being cleaned (and not on a patio door or downstairs window), where else would the scratch come from... An angry bird?[/quote

I'm sure your right. It was earlier then I do normally do that house so maybe it was the light at a different angle showing it up. I did notice on more then one window they where really bad. I don't rest the brush on the wall. on the grass with the bristles in the air so they don't get dirty. Same on a wall if I do it's not touching the wall. So it's not that I don't like doing that I see other window cleaning doing that a lot.

Cat scratches!!! My cat paws the lower glass on my back door when she wants to come in, I figure she must get stones or grit caught in the pads of her feet and it has scratched the hell out of the glass. Same could happen with a dog I guess...

Cat scratches!!! My cat paws the lower glass on my back door when she wants to come in, I figure she must get stones or grit caught in the pads of her feet and it has scratched the hell out of the glass. Same could happen with a dog I guess...
Only problem is the windows are high up no cat could get up to them there ground floor Windows but you would need a point or a pole to clean them. Thanks though

I think it's safe to say it's not you mate, honestly you'd have heard or felt scratches like that

Seems like quite a big scrach I had a costomer recently said about a scrach now he did not say it was me but all the same pionted it out I got some rouge cerium oxide glass polish it's a powder you mix with water £749 on amozon takes a bit of work but scratches came out took about 30 min but kept costomer happy I also asked about brushes scratching and was told not posible but as I say he is a good costomer 30 min he happy and problem solved

Just looked at your pictures Jason. Those scratches are bad. Almost looks like those windows are plastic.

However, unless your brush was loaded with sand or grit and you were pressing really hard and I mean hard, I seriously don't believe you could have done that without noticing you were doing it. A gritty cloth, or maybe a dry gritty brush, but not a soaking wet brush. The stock of a brush with grit on would very likely scratch glass but again I seriously doubt it would leave marks like that as most of us that have ever used the stock would only have done it to loosen bird poop and that would only leave small marks.

Having said that they got there somehow. It would be interesting to know how if you ever fathom it out.

In the eight years I've been wfp, my pole has fallen over numerous times with the brush face down and all I've ever done was run my hand over it a couple of time give it a flick and carry on and I've never seen anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back