Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Microbore vs minibore

Jake

so who uses what?

I use 8mm minibore, but wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of 6mm microbore are?

Does 6mm drain battery faster?

Does it cause the pump to work harder?

Does it restrict flow rate, to the point you need to up the flow compared with 8mm?

Be grateful for responses, and be really good to know from anyone who's used both...

Changed to 6mm due to fitting electric reel, which only does micro.

6mm is lighter and easier to pull.

8mm doesn't Knott, no where near as much as 6mm.

Cant tell any difference in pump etc

I use 100m of 6mm microbore for Van mount and 30m of 5mm pole hose for Trolley. The thinner the hose the lighter it is.

No matter what size hose you use, the pump has to force the water through two, 2 or 3mm jets anyway so water is always going through a 4 to 6mm gap.

The trolley pump has never missed a beat with the pole hose and is so light it's like there's no hose there at times.

I use 100m of 6mm microbore for Van mount and 30m of 5mm pole hose for Trolley. The thinner the hose the lighter it is.No matter what size hose you use, the pump has to force the water through two, 2 or 3mm jets anyway so water is always going through a 4 to 6mm gap.

The trolley pump has never missed a beat with the pole hose and is so light it's like there's no hose there at times.

That's what I was thinking, but not sure if having a longer run of thin hose would out more strain on the pump..

@steve garwood do you find the 6mm causes the one shot to produce more over spray after you click the button?

That's what I need to know, if not then I'll get some, but I don't want the extra pressure from a 6mm hose causing more water loss after I click the button...

You will require slightly more pressure for 6mm hose over 8mm hose. The longer the hose the more pressure is required to pump water through it so the pencil jet theory (at the very end of this line) isn't quite reflective of the actual situation. I had to increase the pressure cut off value by one notch on my varistream when I switched to 6mm. 6mm hose is lighter and a bit more easy to manage. I've done approx 10 years with 8mm and 2 years with 6mm if that helps.

Cheers, not sure about it really!!

Only need it if I get the electric reel, but hoping to get one in the new year, so Might convert to 6mm then...

At the mo, I can't find the power up HD that waterworks were supposed to be selling, and they were supposed to have a radio switch to reel the hose in, that needs to be 6mm apparantly, to stop the hose falling over the sides of the reel

That's the one I want :thumbsup:

But want a remote to control it when away from the van

@steve garwood do you find the 6mm causes the one shot to produce more over spray after you click the button?
That's what I need to know, if not then I'll get some, but I don't want the extra pressure from a 6mm hose causing more water loss after I click the button...
Not sure what you mean by overspray Jake. My one click has a slight delay when turning it on. I have my varistream set at 45 and I set the calibration automatically. My other van that my worker uses has 8mm, my van has 6mm which I prefer as its less cumbersome, so easier to manoeuvre:thumbsup:

We had hose (minbore is all we have ever used since the dark 1/2" hose era) that has swollen a little under pressure. This acts as a pressure reservoir and causes the spray @Jake refers to @steve garwood.

This is usually more noticeable with warm water users.

@spruce wjat I mean is, if I use 6mm microbore, I'm concerned I'll get lots of after 'dribble' when I click the one shot, cos the 6mm hose is surely gonna be more pressureised than 8mm minibore I currently use,

Also, I'm a bit confused as to weather or not the 6mm will reduce flow, and will it mean I need to up the flow on the controller? I don't want to lose flow, as o already run high flow, and want it to remain high,

One of the reasons I went for 3mm jets is so i get maximum flow for rinsing, I don't want that to be compromised by the 6mm hose spruce? I've heard conflicting results, some say it makes no difference, but some say it reduces flow....

Back