Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Chris33

My canvassing blog!

Chris33

So here it begins!

One 15 pound house was picked up last week from the boss of who's company are embroidering my company gear. Wasn't really ready for this yet!

Seen a fb post re the local new gym looking for a windy, still wasn't read but had to grab the chance and so blagged my way to a 2 x monthly £15 cleans (only eight windows and a sign)

I live in a town with 3000 houses so made up fliers to target whole area. 2 x a5 fliers per sheet, and will be rolled up on coloured paper (see picture). I know a first clean free is often frowned upon here but I'm open to trial and error. These will be posted through doors next week and I'll follow with door Knock all (still awaiting council badge for that

Chris

DSC_0314.JPG.5e841ba14ddde21e68dbd232606a223f.JPG

mark

I hope it works out for you.if I posted those leaflets in my neck of the woods I would be un-indated with work. for the 1st free clean.its human nature people will take advantage of a good situation.sell yourself high from the off or you will regret it in the future

Chris33

Thanks Mark,

Someone who had offered the first clean free and used a similar template (from the forum) said there was only a very small percentage or drop offs after the first clean and he'd achieved 5% response from leaflets..who knows!

mark

it depends on were you live m8,my phone would non stop ringing for a free 1st clean

Tuffers

Get rid of the 2 free internal cleans! :eek::eek::eek:

Jimroot

Chris, if the flyers aren't made up yet I'd add 'first clean free etc with upfront payment of six months' i.e. Pay sux get seven. or 'third clean free' and a free clean rather than choc/wine, otherwise I think you'll be doing a lot of free work

Chris33

Thanks very much Jim, points taken on board. May well go with second or third clean free then (only made up 100 leaflets so far) but just thought the chocolate idea was more incentive based. Maybe wrong.

Tuffers
Tuffers! Kitchen window only or remove completely?

I read it as a full house interior clean, custy might think so too. So you're offering just to clean one single window then?

mark

this is the point!!! you need to be exactly clear when posting,people will take the ****

Tuffers

Some of the letters after the bullet point are in lower case and some in upper case. I personally think grammar has to be right when in business or folk might think you're not professional. Just my opinion like.

Chris33

Well I'd not really considered the time to do all interior windows if truth be told. Will need to alter that to kitchen window yes.

Tuffers
Thanks very much Jim, points taken on board. May well go with second or third clean free then (only made up 100 leaflets so far) but just thought the chocolate idea was more incentive based. Maybe wrong.

Forget chocolates and wine, just say next clean half price if you refer me and I get it?

Jimroot

You will no doubt get more work straight away, but there are a lot of folk out there who cancel after the first clean, the price actually helps separate the messers straight away, better to work a little for more than work more for a little, I reckon a free gutter clear once a year would be enticement enough and scrap the rest, you reward their loyalty after a years earnings, and a free clean for a certified paid up recommendation

I don't offer any enticements I but I do little extras for those I like

Chris33

OK,this was a draft from earlier but yes I'll check all grammar over cos don't want to look amateur. Cheers.

I had not put prices on leaflets Jim but I'm now thinking that may be a good idea.

mark

when they except the first free clean- are they obliged to continue with your service?,would you tell them your rate after the initial 1st clean?

Chris33

Think it'll be beneficial to put price of all cleans on this here flier aye,and remove first clean free possibly.

till

Don't give anything away for free from the start. Try and talk to people face to face and give a good service from day one.

When building up a new round you can afford to take longer than you need to for each job to do a good job. This will get you recommend to others. This is the best way to get work.

Good luck and be patient.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

dasslr1
Chris, if the flyers aren't made up yet I'd add 'first clean free etc with upfront payment of six months' i.e. Pay sux get seven. or 'third clean free' and a free clean rather than choc/wine, otherwise I think you'll be doing a lot of free work

yeah was going to say similar ,if you are going to give a free clean , maybe it should be the second clean

the first clean always takes the longest because your getting 99% of the dirt off

the second clean will be much easier . you don't want to be doing all the hard work on the first clean and get nothing for it only for them to say oh thank you now we don't need you for 6 months .if you charge them the first clean and they pay it you know there serious about having there windows clean .

but what if you get a week of houses that you only have second cleans to do ?? you do a week and not get paid because there all free .

with charging half price

say you turn up to a house that's filthy and you would normally charge £15 but because of the half price your going to charge £7.50 which because of it being filthy will take you ,what 40 mins .

then on the second clean (if your not going down the free second clean road)you charge the normal £15 and itll take you less time ,15 mins .

whats to stop the customer thinking hang on they were filthy and I paid 7.50 for 40 mins work now there reasonably clean I have to pay £15 for 15 mins work .

I personally wont give out anything free ,you'll only attract the wrong sort of customer that you want (messers),if they want the windows clean they will be ready to pay you what you asked for .custys that want something for free will drop you for another cleaner for a pound cheaper because they think there getting a better deal .cheaper doesn't mean better but it will in the eyes of the customer you will attract.iv done it myself years ago ,done a house cheaper then I would of wanted and it killed me knowing that the last house was a 10er and this house is £6 , same windows,same time cleaning but got paid less for it.it will annoy you .

Adams0211

I think you need to stick with the basics and get rid of the gimmicks.

In the nicest possible way, you're mad to offer a free first window clean. People are going to take the absolute piss out of that and potentially cancel after the first clean.

Ditch the wine and chocolates idea too. It's an expense you don't need when you're trying to establish a round, especially if you're not bringing in much cash becomes you're doing loads of free first cleans.

Two free interior windows cleaned per year? I take it that means two actual windows rather than the whole house? Seems like another gimmick and will be a pain to keep track of. It's the sort of thing i offer customers as a little freebie. Offer to clean the inside of the patio door to remove kids sticky finger marks etc.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Guest Solarpanelcleanington

Give nothing away. They should be grateful for your service and pay for it.

Good luck!

Chris33

dasslr1 thank you for taking the time on that post and for that insight,and yeah it would be very frustrating to look back and have priced houses so wrong!

Adams0211, thanks mate. Yes I'm going to knock these freebies on the head, and rejig the whole flier as I'm starting to think it screams desperation lol. Without all this input I'd probably be booked for a month and chucked right after it!

Thanks everyone, lots of helpful advice ☺

Was just getting frustrated waiting on my council badge for door chapping purposes, but yeah this flier needs work!

Chris

dasslr1

iv only know through experience bud ,I even thought the same when I started ...should I give a free clean here and there .. and its not worth the hassle. if you want 15 for a house go for it ,some will say yes some no ,but the ones you do get youll know your getting paid what you wanted and what you want in hourly rate ,(that's up to you to decide),

ps don't let the nos grind you down ,youll get there .

peter rogers

If smart about it this gets attention. Free window clean,.. That's one window. Maybe re gig the flyer. There

Lists of gd ones on here

Greener
Talk to @Greener she does I think third clean free

Cheers @peter rogers and thats "Mr" @Greener LOL ;) yes last year (My first year in business) I offered all new customers an HALF PRICE 3rd clean, My theory was that if I could get them interested by enticing them with the half price clean then by the time the 3rd clean came the customer would have had an opportunity to:

(A) See the benefits in having their property cleaned regularly, correctly and professionally.

(B) See that I actually ALWAYS do what I said I would do from the start.

© Get to know me and give me an opportunity to build rapport.

(D) Establish whether or not they could actually afford a regular service

(E) Give me the opportunity to get a feel for the customer i.e Good or Messer

All of which I consider to be Very important when taking on new customers but none more important than the other.

When I first started door knocking I picked up a small number of customers, however I soon came to the conclusion that for me personally door knocking and leafleting offered very little return compared to the time and effort that I put in and to be honest I found it soul destroying. So I sat down one night and created a BUSINESS Fbook page Facebook (and NO this isn't an attempt to gain more Likes :coffee:) @Gav more than happy for you to remove if not allowed :thumbs:. I for one know that the majority of people I know spend a lot of time on FB looking at the and commenting on the local community groups and that people are always looking for and recommending various trades and the best bit is thats its FREE-FREE-FREE :party::party:. So instead of pounding the streets knocking on doors in all weathers getting more and more disheartened I made the conscious decision that I would use the power of the web it market my business i.e website, Fbook and a few cheap adverts on local community websites. Each new customer I gained I would ask to like and share my page and from that I can honestly say approx 90% of my customers are quoted and won. For those that may think this is the Lazy/Easier and less time consuming way I can assure you that if successful it is anything but.

Anyway apologies I digress ;-) getting back to the 3rd Half Price clean, I certainly believe that it helped me get my foot in the door with many of my customers, however by the time it came the the 3rd clean many of my customers had totally forgotten about the offer and were generally grateful and appreciative when I reminded them of the offer and I have had many comment on the fact that it showed honesty on my part. When I first started I would go round offer them a quote and get the 3rd price offer in straight away, but as I got busier I changed my sales patter, I would offer them a quote and when I won the business I would then say along the lines of "thats great and thank you ::-): as a way of thanks I will carry out your 3rd clean at Half Price" I ran the offer for the whole of 2015.

I'm fortunate that through Working hard at building rapport and spending many hours promoting my business this way that I haven't had to actively go OUT looking for work and am now at the point where the majority of my New customers (on average 12 a week) come through recommendation from my existing customers, although Id also like to add hardly any of them mention the half price third clean, which is good as Ive decided NOT to offer this any new customers gained during 2016. I will decide half way during the year whether or not this decision has impacted on the business regarding gaining and retaining new customers.

Finally I personally would not offer the first clean FOC as from my experience a very, very small amount of people may cancel after the freebie. Let you and your customers get to know each other before you go giving away your time and hard graft. Im from a sales background and one of the few cliche sayings that I believe to be correct is "if you can make them like you, then they'll buy from you". Use your personality and professionalism to win and retain the business and go easy on the freebies, because when you become more busy you will resent having to give away your time and potential earnings.

All the very best for the future, stick at it reap the hard earned rewards from your all your hard work. @Greener

Greener

Ref putting prices on your flyer, its something I did in the very early days but I soon decided it wasn't the best thing for me personally to do, you know that old saying "how longs a bit of string?" Well I think the same can apply to pricing a clean? Here is an example of what I use when replying to a message wanting a price.

Prices can vary for many reasons, some being dependent on where the property is situated, condition and size of the windows and access. I would always prefer to view a property before quoting, if you would like I would love to pop round, I walk round the outside of the house to give you a quote (It only takes 2 minutes and I don’t need to come inside). As long as I can access the rear of the property you don't even need to be in, .I'm a firm believer in NOT putting people "on the spot", so if you would prefer I would be more than happy to supply you with a quote via messenger/text once I have viewed the property? Many thanks Dale

dasslr1

this is what I use ,I find affective

it gets the phone number from them

and the address

when they text I reply with "hi this is D and B windows I can pop round tomorrow and give you a quote ,if your not in is it possible to get round the back.""and when iv finished ill pop it through your door "

the majority text me for a quote

flyer 3use this.docx

dasslr1

this is an old quote sheet I used to push through the door

id mark off each window and add it all up .

9/10 they would come out and id tell them the price anyway

**note the gutter prices have all been upped now lol**

D & B WINDOWS QUOTES 2.docx

mark

the amount of rubbish you get through the doors these days.even fancy leaflets!!WHAT DO YOU DO???well I know what I do.rrrrrrrip em up.so in my opinion-state plainly & clearly what service you are offering.joe public haven't got time to trawl through loads n loads of info.state the service you provide and contact numbers