Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water system

omni

Hi all.

I'm fitting out my third van and wanted to have hot water in this as a trail to see if its worth putting into the other vans. Ive found this heater that seems a good price compared to others:

Portable Tankless Water Heater and Shower: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Ive read somewhere its not a good to put hot water through the pumps so I'm not sure the best way to pump it all into two reels?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Matt

Hi Matt

I have been trying a gas water heater. I got one off eBay for just £65. It works well but you do need the pump running at 65 on the controller to make it come on. If you have two hose reels running at 85 plus it will work fine. I have had mine since Jan 2016 and it's great for the money. The item number on eBay is 181571136267 for the money it's worth it.

I will try and post a picture tomorrow.

Hope this helps

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

I've had one for five or six years and it has given me no problems. It gets used for 2-3 months each winter to heat about 1000ltrs per week. It can heat water to 45 degrees at a rate of 2.2ltrs per minute. I can't confirm anything other than that because that is how I've used it. I preheat my water to 45 degrees before I take it out as I work with a trolley. I was a bit concerned about the hot water going through the pump. But I have had no problems.

A friend of mine who works with his wife and uses far more water than me, used two of these in his van for a couple of years and as I recall his pumps were fitted after the heaters so they would have been pumping hot water and he didn't have problems either. However, I think he has replaced them now. He used them all year round as well.

Thanks for replies everyone.

What I'm not sure about is how the pipe work will be. Do I split the feed from the tank into two pumps, then back into one pipe to go through the heater, then split again to go to two reels?

I mostly have two of us working from the van so I'm worried that will make the flow of water go up and down, and the water temperature will go up and down as well.

My mate has two heaters, one for each reel of hose and one 19kg propane gas bottle for each heater. The heater that Action has linked to is a lot cheaper than the ecotemp L5. Perhaps two of them would serve your needs.

U can't merge to pumps into one then spilt again as the pressure goes up and down this cause probs with controllers. . Best jut using twoheaters

no need for hot water.
For first cleans and filthy conny roofs, hot water makes them much easier. On freezing days manoeuvring the hoses becomes a doddle. Not a case of need, just a case of making life easier I.m.o :thumbsup:

For first cleans and filthy conny roofs, hot water makes them much easier. On freezing days manoeuvring the hoses becomes a doddle. Not a case of need, just a case of making life easier I.m.o :thumbsup:
ye may help when its minus temps.

Not keen on the idea of using two heaters so will most likely just stick with using it on one hose if there is no other way of doing it.

Thanks for your help all.

Hi Matt
I have been trying a gas water heater. I got one off eBay for just £65. It works well but you do need the pump running at 65 on the controller to make it come on. If you have two hose reels running at 85 plus it will work fine. I have had mine since Jan 2016 and it's great for the money. The item number on eBay is 181571136267 for the money it's worth it.

I will try and post a picture tomorrow.

Hope this helps

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app
Just had another look at that item and its much smaller than I expected! Can you please post a picture of your setup?

Thanks for the pics. Good idea to have it on the door. Have to be careful of the rain though wouldn't you? Do you have just the one pump for two reels?

Never had any problems in the rain, but wind can blow the pilot light out sometimes. Just use the one pump & it's fine with 2 reels. Run the controller about 85 and the tank lasts us the day. A 13kg gas bottle lasts about 2 weeks.

Back