Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Conservatory roof problem

Beccy

After 2 and a half years on the job, I've just done my first ever conservatory.... They're not a very common sight around here! But the roof didn't come up well at all, basically still looked filthy.

I was just thinking about how after so much scrubbing it still looked like it had never been cleaned in 30 years when the guy came out and explained that he'd had his tiled roof de-mossed last year and the guys that did it put a tarp over the conservatory to keep it clean while they worked, but that it was windy and the tarp blew off and it got "some sort of black chemical" sprayed all over it.

He said he knew it wasn't my fault it hadn't cleaned up well, but did I know any way to fix it for him next time I'm there.

No idea what this black chemical was.

Any ideas? /emoticons/smile.png

After 2 and a half years on the job, I've just done my first ever conservatory.... They're not a very common sight around here! But the roof didn't come up well at all, basically still looked filthy.
I was just thinking about how after so much scrubbing it still looked like it had never been cleaned in 30 years when the guy came out and explained that he'd had his tiled roof de-mossed last year and the guys that did it put a tarp over the conservatory to keep it clean while they worked, but that it was windy and the tarp blew off and it got "some sort of black chemical" sprayed all over it.

He said he knew it wasn't my fault it hadn't cleaned up well, but did I know any way to fix it for him next time I'm there.

No idea what this black chemical was.

Any ideas? /emoticons/smile.png
Sounds like bithumen, that'll need scraping off. Conservatory roofs are only beneficial if you are short of work, there is no way you can earn more than cleaning windows and to get them decent is bloody hard work, I did fascias for a window cleaning customer last week for £30 front and back could have earned more cleaning windows, I'd be surprised to here of anyone who can earn more doing these add ons.

Don't bother with them they are a nightmare get more window cleaning work
It's not about needing the work, it's about wanting to help the guy out. His house windows are a nice little job, if I can sort his conservatory roof then that's a nice little touch extra.

Ask for the lads number perhaps you can find out. If it wont budge with solvent or cream cleaners then it's probably shagged.
Unfortunately he can't remember what company he used.

Is it worth trying with ubik next time I'm there? How would I do that? Just spray it on my brush and clean as normal?

It's not about needing the work, it's about wanting to help the guy out. His house windows are a nice little job, if I can sort his conservatory roof then that's a nice little touch extra.
Unfortunately he can't remember what company he used.

Is it worth trying with ubik next time I'm there? How would I do that? Just spray it on my brush and clean as normal?
I'm in business to pay the bills and earn a living don't think my customers are to concerned about helping me out.

Sounds like bithumen, that'll need scraping off. Conservatory roofs are only beneficial if you are short of work, there is no way you can earn more than cleaning windows and to get them decent is bloody hard work, I did fascias for a window cleaning customer last week for £30 front and back could have earned more cleaning windows, I'd be surprised to here of anyone who can earn more doing these add ons.
Totally agree with Becky on this

It's about offering a complete service - customer satisfaction

And yes sounds like bitumen which will scrape off with ext pole and scraper attached

Price well

I'm in business to pay the bills and earn a living don't think my customers are to concerned about helping me out.
If your plumber came round and did the bath but didn't fancy the toilet cos it's harder work -

You'd get a decent plumber

Unless you charge £45 for a semi:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
That's for a gutter clear you numpty and took me half hour after that conny roof this morning:D

I prefer your gutter clear price yesterday though

That's for a gutter clear you numpty and took me half hour after that conny roof this morning:DI prefer your gutter clear price yesterday though
Nah i meant that semi we did. £45 first clean lol She robbed us on the velux though.

Need to talk to you about that next week, that job is being done by papa. But like we said. Any more and BOOM /emoticons/wink.png

Nightmare. Sounds like a PITA and would be hard to justify a decent price I think. You could spend all day on it, would he pay a day's pay to clean it?
ALL DAY ! how bigs the conservatory ?? Tuffers you need to speed up X

I'm not planning on doing it for free lol. I'll charge him and if it's going to cost a lot, I'll tell him and he can decide if he wants me to do it or not.

The fact is he has asked me to find out if there's anything I can do, and I'm happy to do that, hence why I asked the question here. If it's not possible within a sensible price then at least he'll know that I'm the sort that will try to help and will happily keep me on to do the rest of the house on a regular basis.

Maybe I'm also lucky with my main customer base but I have plenty of customers who will help me out... one old lady occupies my little one while I work on her street, some let me have free access to their outside taps, whether or not I'm doing their house that day, one insists on giving me lunch while I'm there, two different customers give me half a dozen fresh eggs from their hens almost every time and one gave me a full Brio train set for my little boys birthday. My customers are fab, why wouldn't I try to find out if there's a solution?

Nightmare. Sounds like a PITA and would be hard to justify a decent price I think. You could spend all day on it, would he pay a day's pay to clean it?
He probably would actually, but unfortunately I'll struggle to find time to spend that long on it!

I don't think money is a problem for them, but they have a son who is very very ill, which is why they want someone to just provide them with solutions and take the stress away from them... Shame the roof de mossing has caused extra problems for them.

Charge correctly and you can earn just as much if not more than windows, I prefer windows as there my everyday bread and butter but one off jobs are great bonuses, if your only charging £30 for fascia/gutters all round then theres your problem, your too low priced. Typically a 4 bed detached for fascia/gutters I charge around the £80-£140 mark, more if they want the gutters clearing out, what ever job I do I never work for less than 30-40 quid a hour. Which suits me.

I did a small lean to style conny roof this morning (6 panes 2 with the square opener in)

A fascia job including windows 1 off

A couple of houses

And a quote that has got me a 3 storey detached regular monthly clean with their conny roof cleaned first time to do tuesday and was only out of the house from 0930 until 1400

4.5 hours for the equivalent of a good days pay

Why wouldn't you do conservatory roofs and fascias etc?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Back