Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic
joe34

Clonking noise coming from the steering wheel

joe34

Hi, I keep getting a strange noise coming from van when I turn the steering wheel,I had it on my last van too.I have a 800lt system which I had in my old van and now its in my new one .just wondering if anyone else has had this with a heavy system in the back and if so what is it?

spruce

Your best solution is to get it investigated by your usual garage.

In most circumstances a clunking noise when moving on full lock usually points to a CV joint on the drive shaft/s. A ping noise on turning could be a broken coil spring/seized upper coil spring bearing on MacPherson struts.

It could also be the resultant wear from overloading the front axle. Positioning a heavy tank like that is important as the weight needs to be distributed toward the back axle. This could well mean a gap between the front seats/bulkhead and the tank.

tench0771

could be stering rack or track rod ends to it needs to go to garage tho as u dont want something to brake on moter way fully loaded :eek:

tench0771

my ges is track rod ends if its doing it wile turning the wheel if it only on full lock then cv joint

spruce

It could also be drop links but that's most noticeable when driving in a straight line.

As @tench0771 says, it needs to go to a garage.

joe34

It's a vivaro ,I've just booked the mechanic round this week.Thanks alot for all the advice

♠Winp®oClean♠
Anti roll bars even?

That's what I was thinking, anti roll bar bushes.

Luke Barnard
That's what I was thinking, anti roll bar bushes.

Mine had worn roll bar bushes, only clonked in a straight line on a level road i.e. an equal load on each front wheel.

Bigger problems now.... a misfire and a fault code for number 3 injector :gush::turd:

Markyboy 50

Could be your medallion clonking on the steering wheel as you corner to hard :D

Luke Barnard
what milege and engine is in yours @Luke Barnard its allways that sinking fieling when the van has a falt

2 litre M9R with 111k miles, the one that appeared on Watchdog with the stuck injector problems. There's a company near me that has the hydraulic equipment to get them out but it's not cheap!

gto

i had similar, but only on speed bumps.

i thought it was the bushings, as that is a common fault with my van.

£350 later it was a broken front spring.