Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi All

Cambridge Cleaner

Cambridgeshire Cleaner
Having read a number of threads I thought I'd better take the plunge and introduce myself.

I'd like to say a big thank-you to those who provide really useful info to all, experienced and (like myself) inexperienced. I've picked up some invaluable help on here.

I'm one of those dozens of annoying oiks who think that window cleaning is an easy life and wont be here in a few months - or so I've read on other threads. But to those of you who've been a bit negative to newbies here's a few thoughts:

1. I decided to do this not because it was easy, or indeed that I was passionate about window cleaning but because in my area there was a clear gap in the market that I can hopefully fill.

2. To the established guys out there I'm not a threat - if you're doing a good job why would someone change.

3. In doing my research before I started I came upon three common answers:

4. We don't have a window cleaner at present - yes please clean ours
  5. Our old window cleaner is so unreliable we never know when he's coming
  6. We had someone come but they've never been back - we'll use you
  7. We've had the same guy for years and wouldn't want to change ...but if he retires we'll call you

So please don't knock all of us that are new to this, and again, to those whose advice on here is so useful thanks - I particularly welcome any help building my customer base.

All the best to all of you - old and new!

1. I decided to do this not because it was easy, or indeed that I was passionate about window cleaning but because in my area there was a clear gap in the market that I can hopefully fill.

2. To the established guys out there I'm not a threat - if you're doing a good job why would someone change.

3. In doing my research before I started I came upon three common answers:

4. We don't have a window cleaner at present - yes please clean ours
  5. Our old window cleaner is so unreliable we never know when he's coming
  6. We had someone come but they've never been back - we'll use you
  7. We've had the same guy for years and wouldn't want to change ...but if he retires we'll call you

So please don't knock all of us that are new to this, and again, to those whose advice on here is so useful thanks - I particularly welcome any help building my customer base.

All the best to all of you - old and new!

Welcome...

Having read your post I admire your positive attitude and I do agree...there are some negative responses given on here but they're not all just newbie bashing, many are unfortunate hard truths...

It's very easy not to notice the abundance of window cleaners in your area until you're out there doing the job yourself...I too thought there were no window cleaners in my road but now I know of at least 10...it makes sense if you think about it, I was working 8-6 Monday to Friday! When was I about to see the window cleaners?

In an affluent area like Cambridge I'd imagine window cleaners would travel a fair distance to secure a very profitable round meaning competition should be abundant? Have a look on Yell.com there are pages and pages of professional looking window cleaners based in or covering Cambridge.

Sorry to come accross as one of the negative ones and I honestly recommend window cleaning as a great job, particularly if , like me, you've a young family and would like to see them more than 10 minutes a day!

Just prepare for the fact it's going to be hard, be ready for a bumpy first year or so then you won't get despondent when it's not as easy as it first appears.

We are not here to bash 'nooobs, and for the most part we do not. All are welcome here, new and old alike. However there are so many that do believe (especially with the ease and availability of WFP) that this is an easy game. Whilst we are not here to put anyone down some do need the bubble bursting to a degree more so that they can steel themselves in preparations for the graft and heart ache ahead in getting established.

The only thing that separates the successful from the not is determination and passion.

The only thing that separates the new from the old is time.

Welcome and good luck to you! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments guys!

Luke - I take on board your comments, you're right competition in Cambridge is fierce. Fortunately I live in a village with a number of towns and villages nearby and that's where I'm picking up most of my work. Coverage here seems very patchy which is good for me. Also my wife works in Cambridge so I'm picking up a number of her work colleagues.

Still a way to go so all advice welcome.

Main thing is I'm loving what I'm doing! (Remind me I said this next time it freezes!)

Yes... get the wife on board...there's no great motivator quite like a woman nagging you about money...don't tell mine I said that.

All the best.

Welcome matey, theres a couple of us on here from Cambridge lol. As has been said on here, no one goes bashing newbs for the fun of it, its just a dose of reality usually, and often the humour doesnt get spotted with newbs.

Where abouts in Cambridge are you situated

As said there's a few here & we do help each other out or pass numbers on if it's a bit out of our reach

Back