Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do my boss pay enough for me ?

donatas

I work as I window cleaner for one guy and he have a big round more than 1000 customers and plus gutters ect.. its just 2 of us him and me and his daily target is around 600 pounds and he pays me 80 pounds you think I should start my own bussines instead of 80 quid ?

If you are happy with 80 quid then stay

If you are not happy either have a discussion about wages with him or do something else

It will take you about 3-5 years to build a good reliable client base of 1000 customers to rival that of you boss.

Boss aims for £600 per day.

Less £120 tax

Less £80 for you

Less £100 for water supplies insurances fuel etc.

That's half the money gone already without a detailed review of costing break down.

Never as simple as boss makes me work and get's loads of wedge it's not fair!

Perhaps go to boss and say:

I work hard. I am loyal. I am good at my job. Your customers like me. I would like an extra £20 per day.

If the above points are true he may well say yes.

Just remember he is already paying you over minimum wage and living wage.

Proceed with caution. Greed can backfire.

If theres no holiday pay then you must not have a contract of employment and youre probably getting cash in hand.

£400 per week cash in your hand isnt bad at all if your not paying tax or owt on it, would take you a fair while to come home with 400 profit every week when you add in expenses and all the other joys of running a business.

400 in hand, no stress, turn up clean and go home, doesnt sound such a bad deal.

not that you can live this way forever, youll never get a mortgage etc whilst technically unemployed and i cant condone raping the system either.

If you are legit employed then why no holiday pay?

I always suggest working for yourself, but it will take awhile to get to the same place you are now, £80 a day is pretty decent when you don't have to worry about getting customers/chasing payments/keeping vehicle on the road and a hundred other things you don't realise it takes when running a business.

Also! rotate that bow arm elbow its not bent straight, you need to rotate it clockwise, and need more back tension imagine someone is pushing on your elbow and your pushing it backwards.

It will take you about 3-5 years to build a good reliable client base of 1000 customers to rival that of you boss.
Boss aims for £600 per day.

Less £120 tax

Less £80 for you

Less £100 for water supplies insurances fuel etc.

That's half the money gone already without a detailed review of costing break down.

Never as simple as boss makes me work and get's loads of wedge it's not fair!

Perhaps go to boss and say:

I work hard. I am loyal. I am good at my job. Your customers like me. I would like an extra £20 per day.

If the above points are true he may well say yes.

Just remember he is already paying you over minimum wage and living wage.

Proceed with caution. Greed can backfire.
I don't

All above might be correct but insurance and water doesn't cost him 3000 pounds a month man he have fixed water witch is 50 pounds a month and his insurance is around 500 a year . but thank you for your opinion .

Well I was thinking get a bussines loan from bank amd get myself a little round with van and all .. and if I can make around 1300 pounds a month I am happy

Well I was thinking get a bussines loan from bank amd get myself a little round with van and all .. and if I can make around 1300 pounds a month I am happy
I wouldn't go that way myself, you can get yourself a really cheap van and kit it out for peanuts just to get going, than add stuff as you grow, I really do think starting out in debt, especially in this business can backfire.

I started with a VERY old aluminium ladder that really wasn't for purpose a squeegee a mop and a bucket, that was it lol

sounds simple, thats what i thought, but to take home 1300 you need to be turning over 2k

and 1300 is no where near enough to warrant al the stress of being self employed, if youre happy with 1300 per month get a job seriously youre better off on 80 a day than going alone for 1300 quid its not enough, what happend when equipment breaks down etc you need to decide how much you need to live on then add agrand to get some savings and cover eventualites.

how many hours a day do you work? sometimes when I'm paying my guys i think how nice it could be sometimes to swap places. the don't do anything of the filling up of water they don't pay any of the taxes insurances diesel servicing equipment repairs and new equipment. they just get the money at the end of the week and do as they please go home and go to sleep while I'm at home washing clothes and planning out the next days work while chasing invoices and keeping all my lines in the water to get new work and keep everyone fed! by all means go and start your own round but don't slate your boss he's paying you more than fairly as i doubt your doing more than 8 hours a day and probably get a lunch break thrown in! he deserves the dosh he's getting and know the graft he's put in to get himself 1000 customers!

how many hours a day do you work? sometimes when I'm paying my guys i think how nice it could be sometimes to swap places. the don't do anything of the filling up of water they don't pay any of the taxes insurances diesel servicing equipment repairs and new equipment. they just get the money at the end of the week and do as they please go home and go to sleep while I'm at home washing clothes and planning out the next days work while chasing invoices and keeping all my lines in the water to get new work and keep everyone fed! by all means go and start your own round but don't slate your boss he's paying you more than fairly as i doubt your doing more than 8 hours a day and probably get a lunch break thrown in! he deserves the dosh he's getting and know the graft he's put in to get himself 1000 customers!
This is spot on.

Only when you go self employed do you realise what the "boss" at your old job must have to deal with and why he deserves to be driving round in his BMW whilst your taking home minimum wage.

It isnt as easy as work 9-3 then go home and forget, today i was home for 3:30 then i had to put my van on fill, put batt on charge, put laptop on get on george and update it. I then had to phone some new customers to arrange for tomorrow, had to out to chase up a few debts that didnt pay online.

Its 7pm and im still thinking business lol, cant switch off at all.

I remember the days when i was employed, i would clock out at 4:30 and not give work another thought till the alarm went off next day. Throughout the day i was doing as little as i could get away with, never realy thinking about work just on auto pilot thinking what i was going to do that evening or going out drinking on a friday etc. I oculd put in a weeks holiday and get paid, i also could have that week off totally uninterupted and no thoughts of work. try doing that now, a week off..ok i could have one but i guarantee i would still be answering in the phone or messing with website, something.

Theres pros and cons to both, but if youre going self employed then you want to earn the money that goes with it, 1300 quid youre having a laugh.

It definitely is not as easy as people may think

It is constant work at home and canvassing

The cleaning is the easy bit

I work from 8 to 6 everyday sometimes saturday I work on my own when he is tired or have holidays . I sort all the water . I fill up the water and the rags I clean the van and help him with paperwork . I am basically running the bussines for 80 quid a day with no holiday pay and lunch is 30 min max if we get lunch . but thank you all for responding I didn't expected to get that many responses cheers

No he is 53 years old he doesn't use the ladder or reel the hoses after jobs most of the time and yep it's no stop from morning till finish

Latest Posts

Back