Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Myself and another window cleaner joining to complete commercial work advice?

Mr Clean

Hello all.

I have been looking into things around the web and word of mouth but thought why not use the forum here to speak to real people whom may will have first hand experience of what I am about to ask a bunch of questions in the hope for someone to kindly spare their time and brains in advising me.

In short myself and another window cleaner locla to me are going to team up on the sid eof our own small self employed window cleaniing rounds to get and complete more commrcial work. We have secured a factory office and school so far.

The question is: What doe we have to do TAX wise, is it as simple as the school invoice me and I then invoice my partner in cleaning to show the paper trail of the payment, say school pays £200 I then invoice and pay mr x £100 so we are split in middle and show the paper trail to the tax man. I hoping its as simple as that? I am sure it is, but would like to hear from people whom have done this and may shed some light on anything else we may need to do.

From what I have seen it seems really simple and I think I maybe over thinking it all, but just wanted to make sure we do everything right in redgards to TAX, WORKING PRICATICE AND ANYHTING ELSE WE MAY NEED TO OBTAIN OR HAVE IN PLACE.

Thank you so much to anyone whom takes time to reply, it would be great to get some advice form people whom have experience in this and thought this the best place to get it. Thanks again!

Are you and setting up a new separate business?

If you are just helping one another out the easiest way is if the job was awarded to you say a school then you invoice the school to which your friend then invoices you and you pay him so he is a sub contractor to you so you will each be responsible for your own tax and n.i.

If you have set up a partnership and both have your own separate window cleaning business then it is best to seek advise from a good accountant.

Are you and setting up a new separate business?If you are just helping one another out the easiest way is if the job was awarded to you say a school then you invoice the school to which your friend then invoices you and you pay him so he is a sub contractor to you so you will each be responsible for your own tax and n.i.

If you have set up a partnership and both have your own separate window cleaning business then it is best to seek advise from a good accountant.
Hi, thank you for the response. Great! we both have our own business just started first year each of us. We was going to advertise to companies etc as our names for example jeff and jeffers cleaning, but that would then put us ina partnership new business woudl it? So it would be best we seek work via our own names and then sub contract, so in short I would get a school job and INVOICE the school and get paid then subcontract worker invoices me for half the amount and I pay him that. Then we can just show the paper invoices paper trail to the tax simple as that for each job. some will be through me some will be through his name. I assume thats what most cleaners do? I think the setting up a business together and all that is too much for just a simple job and making moutains out of it. Some people did say to me it was very simple so I imagine thats the best route, both get taxed then on £50 each for a £100 job. and a small paper trail for the tax man to see. shame i would have like to have sent letters out to companies asking for work etc as a two team approach and wokj together on this kinda work but best stick simple.

Thanks again for your time. I think where we are new we just want to make sure we doing things right and over cooking things when its actually straight forward /emoticons/smile.png Best to be knowing your doing things right, feels better /emoticons/smile.png

I do a lot of work with other Windy's, I just sent them an invoice. Also make sure you give/get a receipt as well to prove money has changed hands, then the receipt can be used as a business expense and the invoice is proof of income

I do a lot of work with other Windy's, I just sent them an invoice. Also make sure you give/get a receipt as well to prove money has changed hands, then the receipt can be used as a business expense and the invoice is proof of income
Thank you for the reply.

So I take it the best way is to just get paid by the school send them an invoice for £100. Then other windy invoices me and I pay him £50 half the fee and i need to show that i have transferd the money to him via bank or a recipt by me to him signed. Thats it.

Are we allowed to advertise together both our names on a flyer or letter to companies etc or do we then have to form a sperate company? Or will it have to be seen as either one of us getting the work and then getting help sub contractor. Does not matter to much really i suppose. Sorry for all the questions everyone, just want to be doing it right and the best way we can.

Thank you for the reply.
So I take it the best way is to just get paid by the school send them an invoice for £100. Then other windy invoices me and I pay him £50 half the fee and i need to show that i have transferd the money to him via bank or a recipt by me to him signed. Thats it.

Are we allowed to advertise together both our names on a flyer or letter to companies etc or do we then have to form a sperate company? Or will it have to be seen as either one of us getting the work and then getting help sub contractor. Does not matter to much really i suppose. Sorry for all the questions everyone, just want to be doing it right and the best way we can.
We tend to advertise separately makes things simpler as everyone knows who's getting paid by who, otherwise it could cause confusion for the customer and who's bank its going to.

you seem like you both want to go in to this together in which case go and see your account and set up a partnership that way you can advertise tougher as one company get paid tougher i.e in your joint business account ect with the pair of you being one business.

If thats not the route you want to take then if you get a big job and you need help on get your mate in as a subby and the same for him you can be his subby if he needs a hand.

you seem like you both want to go in to this together in which case go and see your account and set up a partnership that way you can advertise tougher as one company get paid tougher i.e in your joint business account ect with the pair of you being one business.
If thats not the route you want to take then if you get a big job and you need help on get your mate in as a subby and the same for him you can be his subby if he needs a hand.

Thank you all. It seems it will be easy if we seek the work together but under our own company names, but work together as one seeking the work as we want to only have enough work to compliment our own domestic work. So only 1 to two day a week commercial work. So yes the route i think would seeking work under own company and pay as a subby.

Would this be the correct way and best way to go about it.

We will work out our advertising and work everythign the same but under our own banner so to speak, have tge same invoice set up and works etc. Get the job under single business either one of us and then get paid invoice the compnay and then he invoices me for half the payment and I pay him a bank transfer and provide him a receipt and myself a copy. or can I do it in cash and a rceipt to him, is that enough or does the tax need to see the money transfer from bank? This is the only thing I am not sure about, sorry if I am all over the place lol, would be good to speak to someone whom has first hand experience or knowledge of the payment set up. It seems simple this way rather than set a company as we also only need 1-2 day a week work as we both have 75% full rounds. We have a school and factory waiting to start. THANKS AGAIN

There is nothing to stop you forming a seperate company with both of you named as owners and trading under that name together and then trading under your own name for your own work

Pretty simple on your tax return also

Just log everything you do together and split the profits/expenses and declare it on your return

As long as both incomes combined don't take you over the 82k threshold there is no issue and you will get billed accordingly for your tax

I would use an account though as they will save you more than you spend and make sure it is self explanatory for hmrc

There is nothing to stop you forming a seperate company with both of you named as owners and trading under that name together and then trading under your own name for your own workPretty simple on your tax return also

Just log everything you do together and split the profits/expenses and declare it on your return

As long as both incomes combined don't take you over the 82k threshold there is no issue and you will get billed accordingly for your tax

I would use an account though as they will save you more than you spend and make sure it is self explanatory for hmrc
Hi, thanks so much for the replies. I am a little confused still lol. Trying to avoid the hassle etc. We both ewant to work together and get in commercial work ie schools, care homes, factories etc and want to to no whats the easiest way and a break down of what we need to be legal doign it and for tax also what do we have to do. I am up for forming a company by way of joint names ie clean and cleaner for example, but worried this willl be to long winded, or is it bets we both seek work together advertsing under our own banners and do the work and sub contract it as mentioned above. Only thing is then we not as one advertising, but tbh as long as we get soem work thats all that matters, we onyl want enought at present to flill a day or so a week up, so not loads, in this situation what would you guys do and if anyone could list hat is need to be able to do it all above board then thats great, thanks agian guys for your time really very kind of you all. /emoticons/smile.png

Hi would this method be correct?

I think we will be going along the lines of seeking work together under our own names but working together to get the work in as it is easier and tbh the amount of work is not a huge amount just a day or two a week.to start with.

1) We clean the school and say this one is under my business name MR A, so invoice the school and get paid in to bank or cash.

2) Do I invoice partner? or does he invoice me? ???? This is where I I need to find out how I pay him whats best method and what we need to show paper trail wise to show my payment of half the income to himso its all there for HMRC etc.

Thanks!!

Hi would this method be correct?

I think we will be going along the lines of seeking work together under our own names but working together to get the work in as it is easier and tbh the amount of work is not a huge amount just a day or two a week.to start with.

1) We clean the school and say this one is under my business name MR A, so invoice the school and get paid in to bank or cash.

2) Do I invoice partner? or does he invoice me? ???? This is where I I need to find out how I pay him whats best method and what we need to show paper trail wise to show my payment of half the income to himso its all there for HMRC etc.

Thanks!!

if you get a school for example as mr clean window cleaning and your friend helps you out on it he will invoice you for his time.

you keep the invoice for your records and tax return.

you can pay him in what ever method you like cheq,bank transfer or cash he is responsible for his own tax and ni the same goes for you if you help him you will give him invoice and pay your own tax and n.i.

This is the simplest option and route to take.

Personally I don't see why any one who has there own business would want to team up with another window cleaner to gain work you would be far better off to concentrate on your own business and build that,but thats just my opinion.

if you really want to partner up to gain work it would be far more simpler and transparent to form a partnership and advertise as said partnership example mr clean and tidy window cleaning{example} and then you can claim the expenses together,get paid together,pay tax tougher as one sole company and then divide the profit.

if you go for these jobs together and a year down the line fall out who's job's would they be?

you can ask for advise and opinions on forums but if you are really unsure what to do and how to do it regarding tax speak to a professional accountant or phone hmrc that will give you the most accurate and legal advise to what you can,can't and have to do.

if you get a school for example as mr clean window cleaning and your friend helps you out on it he will invoice you for his time.you keep the invoice for your records and tax return.

you can pay him in what ever method you like cheq,bank transfer or cash he is responsible for his own tax and ni the same goes for you if you help him you will give him invoice and pay your own tax and n.i.

This is the simplest option and route to take.

Personally I don't see why any one who has there own business would want to team up with another window cleaner to gain work you would be far better off to concentrate on your own business and build that,but thats just my opinion.

if you really want to partner up to gain work it would be far more simpler and transparent to form a partnership and advertise as said partnership example mr clean and tidy window cleaning{example} and then you can claim the expenses together,get paid together,pay tax tougher as one sole company and then divide the profit.

if you go for these jobs together and a year down the line fall out who's job's would they be?

you can ask for advise and opinions on forums but if you are really unsure what to do and how to do it regarding tax speak to a professional accountant or phone hmrc that will give you the most accurate and legal advise to what you can,can't and have to do.
Thank you very much for that reply. Thats great advice, just wanted to get a feel form other cleaners really on it all, always good to get as much info etc and tips and advice from all avenues before going ahead.

I am busy in the week, this was just thought between us as we can do the work quick between us and no burn out and its very good pay we getting form this job and possible others. I thought abotu burn out doign that school alone and other jobs as have a vibrant round already and these days would add somthign diffeerent working wth somone, the banter and the quick work done with high profits still filling up empty days we have. This is also a test to see how well we biuld and then if it does we can sit down and then open up a completley new view of where we want to go, form a company and build and employ people etc, just visions but think we can hit them. But they are the future.

I see so may window clears working in pairs on houses seems to be loads dotn no why they do that for residential work. Thanks again, great post above /emoticons/smile.png

Back