Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Kennygggkent

Culling, needed but still sad... no?

Kennygggkent

Hello Chaps, we all have to do it sometimes but culling still takes it toll doesn't it?

Today I had two frank conversations with customers that I had to decide were either expecting too much or where being undercharged.

One I left a little note with my bill last time saying: Hello Mrs ......., your windows are nice and clean for another 12 weeks, just a note to say that your bill will be going up next time, by £10, I appreciate this is a big jump so please let me know if you still want my service.

I missed her call, but got a nasty little voice message saying she thinks it's disgusting putting the prices up by that much and definitely wont be using me again. DISGUSTING!

Which was really sad because she has a big house which I have been cleaning 4 times a year for as little £15 a time!

Then later in the day I got a call from a custy which I knew would trouble from the start, posh and rich as hell but they want everything for free and want it perfect! now I believe in value for money, but these guys got me back there for no reason really, maybe one smear. and where walking me around trying to show me dirt that clearly wasn't there.

Anyway, I did the old speech about managing expectations, but she really wasn't getting it. So I tried saying it in a different way but still no. So I finally said: "look really I cant be having this conversation every 8 weeks", so I'll do any windows that you feel need doing again as a act of good will but after that I think we call that the last clean. SHE WAS GUTTED, turned her back on me and started huffing. so I got me gear out and started cleaning already clean windows, until she came out 5 mins later to say that the husband says not to bother!

Needed but still sad.... a?

steve garwood
Hello Chaps, we all have to do it sometimes but culling still takes it toll doesn't it?

Today I had two frank conversations with customers that I had to decide were either expecting too much or where being undercharged.

One I left a little note with my bill last time saying: Hello Mrs ......., your windows are nice and clean for another 12 weeks, just a note to say that your bill will be going up next time, by £10, I appreciate this is a big jump so please let me know if you still want my service.

I missed her call, but got a nasty little voice message saying she thinks it's disgusting putting the prices up by that much and definitely wont be using me again. DISGUSTING!

Which was really sad because she has a mansion which I have been cleaning 4 times a year for a little £15 a time!

Then later in the day I got a call from a custy which I knew would trouble from the start, posh and rich as hell but they want everything for free and want it perfect! now I believe in value for money, but these guys got me back there for no reason really, maybe one smear. and where walking me around trying to show me dirt that clearly aren't there.

Anyway, I did the old speech about managing expectations, but she really wasn't getting it. So I tried saying it in a different way but still no. So I finally said: "look really I cant be having this conversation every 8 weeks", so I'll do any windows that you feel need doing again as a act of good will but after that I think we call that the last clean. SHE WAS GUTTED, turned her back on me and started huffing. so I got me gear out and started cleaning already clean windows, until she came out 5 mins later to say that the husband says not to bother!

Needed but still sad a?

Initially its annoying that you have lost a couple of customers, but after a week or so the annoyance wares off and the realisation that 2 sh1t customers are off the list ready to be replaced by others that your happy to see, will make your days work a happier one.

I've been ruthless quite recently since my worker left and am enjoying customizing my round

Dave B

I don't ever feel guilty or bad

End of the day it is business

I had a bit of a cull recently and worked out i want £400 of new monthly work to be happy

That was thursday and i now am £157 closer to that target without any canvassing / leafletting

Never worry about dropping jobs that don't benefit you as there are more round the corner

Dragbag
I don't ever feel guilty or bad

End of the day it is business

I had a bit of a cull recently and worked out i want £400 of new monthly work to be happy

That was thursday and i now am £157 closer to that target without any canvassing / leafletting

Never worry about dropping jobs that don't benefit you as there are more round the corner

Is that by word of mouth Davey or facebook, canversing from door to door is what I'v been doing when not on the glass, but it's a bit of a killer:cool:

brianbadonde

Dont feel bad. I have dropped a fair few lately. Mainly ones that have to be in to go through their house, late payers, and jobs I simply dont enjoy. If you are good at what you do you will get a lot of work through word of mouth and walk ups. If youre doing it full time then you want to make it as stress free as possible. Life is too short!

J and S

Putting it up by a tenner would deter most people.

Kennygggkent
Putting it up by a tenner would deter most people.

Yeah, i thought she might kick off. Should of been £25 from the start really so would if been nice if she appriciated that she got a great deal for ages!

Adams0211

I wouldn't feel sad about it. It's one shit customer and one underpaid job less that you've got to worry about and you'll replace them in a day or two.

Saying that, maybe the first customer might have taken it a bit better if you'd had a nice little chat with her, explained you'd underpriced the job from the start and told her about running costs blah, blah, blah. She'd have at least then understood your reasons for the price increase.

Kennygggkent
I wouldn't feel sad about it. It's one **** customer and one underpaid job less that you've got to worry about and you'll replace them in a day or two.

Saying that, maybe the first customer might have taken it a bit better if you'd had a nice little chat with her, explained you'd underpriced the job from the start and told her about running costs blah, blah, blah. She'd have at least then understood your reasons for the price increase.

Yeah totally agree, it sod's law because she wasn't in to talk her through it and when she called i missed it but she showed her true colours leaving a nasty message rather that just asking for a reason.

tench0771

some custmers ant worth the aggro i have diched a few this year cos there a pain in the ars and to top it off the jobs is under priced:rolleyes: its allways the under priced ones that are never happy lol , what realy gets me is that people expect u to work for nuffin but there living in huge houses and have nice cars ect allways going on holiday they say even after 7 weeks o is it that time all redy or its guna rain tomorow so leve it :mad: i just dich them now strate away sod it and try not to take iot to hart:D

The tattood one

At the end o the day.we all work for money...id rather do an easy 20 clean against a git of a 15 clean...we all got crap custys n wen ya buildin up name.reputation n business...we av to take on some o the crap ones too...but it is nice to sack em tho...i slowly gettin rid o my crap.once they paid wot they owe!!!! Keep the cream n drop the crap.....juat my tuppence worth there

Den

I culled a few the last couple of weeks got 10 new customers in the last week well priced all from Facebook and recomendation so hope these are going to be keepers.

Dave B

I never feel bad about it

If a new job turns out to be a bit pants or they don't pay in sufficient time then i bin straight away nowadays

No point having rubbish on my books stopping me doing a decent customer in its place

koopmaster

I had one 2 days ago... a cheap £5 clean. I knew he was a grumpy one... anyway I Wales over to the windows and said to myself... wow there's loads of water marks on them.. but they where all inside... so I cleaned the outside and left...

Then came the grumpy call..

Hello I'm not happy. There are water marks all over the windows...

Umm you need to clean the insides...

No I never touched the inside it's YOU...I want to cancel.. all you do is spray water with your mop and leave... I can do that myself.

Oh can you, it's purified water but have a go anyway and good luck.

(I was not in the mood to grovel or argue over a fiver)

Lol

Kennygggkent

Which was really sad because she has a big house which I have been cleaning 4 times a year for as little £15 a time!

Then later in the day I got a call from a crusty which I knew would trouble from the start, posh and rich as hell but they want everything for free and want it perfect! now I believe in value for money, but these guys got me back there for no reason really, maybe one smear. and where walking me around trying to show me dirt that clearly wasn't there.

Needed but still sad.... a?

Can't believe it! the Crusty who I said needed to go up by £10, well I had a premonition that I would get a call from her asking for a price. And at about 11.30 today when it was absolutely chucking it down I got just that call!

Hello do you clean windows?

Yep....I'm a window cleaner lol

Where do you live and how many windows do you have?

We leave at ......lane Exeter and have 19 windows

(my Adrenaline starts to kick in as I decide whether to give her a piece of my mind)

O you live there do you? yep that will be £25 (the price I said it was going to go up to!)

Really? cant you do it any cheaper?

NO!

what about if you do it 6 weeks?

£22

OK I'll get back to you.

She wont get back to me because she is very tight but I wouldn't answer anyway now I know her number.

I wish I had laid into her as I feel she got great deal out of me for about two years but what's the point.

Says something about weather she had any respect or appreciation for my service as she didn't know my company name or remember my voice even though I always left my headed bill and chatted to her!