Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

pure freedom diesel heater

I have just brought (being delivered next friday) a purefreedom diesel heater 9kw two man for £280 delivered ........its non working however so im taking a risk.

apparently its the circulation pump thats broken , im sure somebody on here had pics of the inside of one of these heaters ?

possibly spruce?

Any advice on fixing it or fitting would be welcome .

I have just brought (being delivered next friday) a purefreedom diesel heater 9kw two man for £280 delivered ........its non working however so im taking a risk.
apparently its the circulation pump thats broken , im sure somebody on here had pics of the inside of one of these heaters ?

possibly spruce?

Any advice on fixing it or fitting would be welcome .
A couple of weeks ago Grippa Tank advised that they may have a reconditioned pump in stock. You might give them a ring and see if that is still the case.

I had a photo of the single operator system using the 5.2kw Webasto Thermo top.

The inside will be pretty similar to the unit this window cleaner sold recently. I think PF added a froststat to theirs but I maybe incorrect saying that.

For Sale - Heatwave Thermo 2 diesal heater

Here a link to the photo of the unit with the pump underneath.

https://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/193/1369/48649307/img-3222-5308927198155523867.JPG

I would certainly consider this after asking the supplier if this will fit onto the furnace. I would imagine that the problem is going to be where the pump 'seals' into the heater housing.

Electric Water Pump 12V Webasto & Eberspacher Auxiliary Heating Booster Heater

The water pump on these models does appear to be a little vulnerable. The pump is one of the first things the heater checks before ignition so if that's not working then the unit will shut down. The only other issue is that after 3 attempts to start the electronic lock out and need to be reset by an engineer. Sometimes being disconnected from the power supply will reset it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of weeks ago Grippa Tank advised that they may have a reconditioned pump in stock. You might give them a ring and see if that is still the case.
I had a photo of the single operator system using the 5.2kw Webasto Thermo top.

The inside will be pretty similar to the unit this window cleaner sold recently. I think PF added a froststat to theirs but I maybe incorrect saying that.

For Sale - Heatwave Thermo 2 diesal heater

Here a link to the photo of the unit with the pump underneath.

https://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/193/1369/48649307/img-3222-5308927198155523867.JPG

I would certainly consider this

Electric Water Pump 12V Webasto & Eberspacher Auxiliary Heating Booster Heater

The water pump on these models does appear to be a little vulnerable. The pump is one of the first things the heater checks before ignition so if that's not working then the unit will shut down. The only other issue is that after 3 attempts to start the electronic lock out and need to be reset by an engineer. Sometimes being disconnected form the power supply will reset it though.

Cheers spruce , that pump is certainly a lot cheaper than an original one !

Do you know how the engineers reset the lockout , seems a bit overkill for that to be done by an engineer.?

Here's a photo of the PF heater in place

View attachment 8705

In this photo it looks like Webasto have put their sticker over the manufacturer's sticker. It would be interesting to find out who makes the pumps for them.

The Webasto part no I believe is 86568A. Hopefully someone (Bosch?) will have a cross reference for a cheaper one.

I found these guys to be very helpful in the past

ELECTRICAL, VW ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS items in Anglia Postal Parts store on eBay!

You will have to contact them as they have no pumps listed at the moment.

It could be the Hella make the pumps for Webasto

Cheers spruce , that pump is certainly a lot cheaper than an original one !
Do you know how the engineers reset the lockout , seems a bit overkill for that to be done by an engineer.?
They do it on a laptop using their software. When I mean an engineer, I mean a repairer who has been trained by Webasto to service their units correctly. /emoticons/wink.png

The other consideration is to open that pump up and see if it not just a simple failure. I might even try to remove the impellor and use one of the auxillary pumps elsewhere in the piping. The inlet is the male hose nipple on the side. The water gets drawn in from the header tank, through the pump and into the boiler, exiting out the top. One of those pumps connected into the hose just before the orginal pump might work. It would be a matter off cutting the supply cables to the original pump, extending them and connecting them up to the new pump. The only word of caution would be to make sure its connected up correctly. I'm not sure where reversing polarity will spin the motor the wrong way.

A lot of the Thermo Top C diesel preheaters had the circulation pump mounted in the heater pipe away from the main heater.

Do we still have motor rewinders in this country who are skilled enough to rewire a rotor/armature?

I found this

Armature rewinding service

They rewind windscreen wiper motors so I don't see why they couldn't give it a go.

They do it on a laptop using their software. When I mean an engineer, I mean a repairer who has been trained by Webasto to service their units correctly. /emoticons/wink.png
The other consideration is to open that pump up and see if it not just a simple failure. I might even try to remove the impellor and use one of the auxillary pumps elsewhere in the piping. The inlet is the male hose nipple on the side. The water gets drawn in from the header tank, through the pump and into the boiler, exiting out the top. One of those pumps connected into the hose just before the orginal pump might work. It would be a matter off cutting the supply cables to the original pump, extending them and connecting them up to the new pump. The only word of caution would be to make sure its connected up correctly. I'm not sure where reversing polarity will spin the motor the wrong way.

A lot of the Thermo Top C diesel preheaters had the circulation pump mounted in the heater pipe away from the main heater.

Do we still have motor rewinders in this country who are skilled enough to rewire a rotor/armature?

Cheers spruce , i had a little google and there is a sequence of turning on and off that will reset it without a computer , you cant clear the fault codes but i dont think that matters .

Def worth looking into who makes the pumps , £300 seems a lot for such a basic circulation pump!

What do you think .....good buy?

Cheers spruce , i had a little google and there is a sequence of turning on and off that will reset it without a computer , you cant clear the fault codes but i dont think that matters .
Def worth looking into who makes the pumps , £300 seems a lot for such a basic circulation pump!

What do you think .....good buy?
Definitely. I do think its a good buy. The cleaner who advertised his system for £1250 sold it within a couple of days.

(Webasto prices of parts are disgusting. But they are German and the Germans believe they are superior products, even if the components are made in China. They have a large work force, with an R&D department so their manufacturing costs must be very high. They also bought out Eberspacher a few years ago, so that reduced the competition. The Germans are very loyal when it comes to German made products and are usually prepared to willingly pay what ever price is asked. I worked for Bosch for many years, so was well acquainted with their outlook. They remind me a lot of the French who in the main buy French cars due to their loyalty.)

You won't clear the fault codes, but they go away on their own. If the memory has recorded 3 faults (I think its 3) and then the heater starts fine then the cycle replaces the first code with a good start. If you start it successfully the second time, the the second code is replaced; the same with the third. So after the 3rd good start all the fault codes are cleared.

These heaters run best on road diesel. You are allowed to use red diesel as a heating fuel (so you need a separate tank as you aren't allowed to use red diesel in your van's tank), but red diesel creates too much soot and the glow-pin gets clogged with carbon. This causes premature starting failure.

There is much about these units in the boat forums. Boats fill up at the marinas with red diesel as they are allowed to use it.

Hurricane boast that their diesel heaters work fine on red diesel, but a service engineer once said that they suffer the same as Webasto units do. Not many complain as there aren't many sold in the GB market.

Brodex and Omnipole supply Hurricane heaters for window cleaning which are made in Canada.

-

is the pump thats gone or has the impeller housing cracked/broken?-they break ever so easily when you remove the pump,i may have a pump thats working as i have a spare one just never checked it

you bought a bargain there robert

Well it arrived today , as kevinc250 mentioned the pump housing is broken where it enters the unit , also the wires from the pump have been stripped of the connector and i have no idea where the new one(when i get it) should connect .

I have taken the pump off and connected it to a 12v battery , the pump runs so its just the casing that is broken , anyone know if the casing is available seperately ?

spruce , the pump is a hella pump and has a number stamped on the case (pa66gf25) and one on the label under the webasto label (65544) .

you can buy the 24volt pump at half the price on flea bay but i beleive should have the same pump head as i was looking at that,those pump heads are so delicate and i've looked all over the web for just the head but no luck whatsoever

If you struggle give this guy a try on eBay - 252180909063 I sent my thermo top to him and he serviced mine and sold me a replacement fuel pump for £40 - I tried a standard 12v pump which didn't work!!!. He also supplied me with a new exhaust, pipe and other consumables when I plumbed it in to my new van set up. I spend hours researching my model when I first got it and this guy sorted my queries out in a few simple emails.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Latest Posts

Back