Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter vac power from van?

Lewis

Just in the process of sorting a new van and was wondering if there is a way of powering a gutter vac from the van?

Thanks

Generator. You could get a 240v inverter and run off a bank of batteries I guess.......you'd need loooooooooads though.

Thanks,

Yeah I was thinking generator, most of the times a customer is in so I plug in to there power supply just getting a new van sorted and wondered if there is a easy way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at inverters, but didn't think they were feasible for the power I draw with the vac. So, I bring a generator on the jobs I can't plug into the customer's own power socket.

The generator needed depends on the Watts draw by the vacuum. You need a genny that can supply more than the Watts of the vacuum as the w draw is greater when it starts up and when it's straining under load.

It gets more confusing as many generators aren't rated by watts, but by kVA.

What power is your vacuum?

My vac is a grippa tank one 2400w 240v house hold plug what size genie will I need Adam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 3.5 kVA gennerator will probably run your 2400w vacuum. To be sure the generator can handle it, when the vacuum is straining, I would hire one first personally. 3.5 kVA is a common size for hire companies nearly me, so hopefully near you too.

Test the vacuum under load eg running on full power, simulate lifting a grass clump - put you hand mostly of the nozzle for a minute.

Some generators have a cut out, so are easy to tell if the load is too great. Others just don't supply enough power and you have to listen to the sound of the motors. Can you hear if the vacuum motors sound the same as when powered by an electric socket when under load?

When starting a vacuum running on a generator, don't start all mothers all at once, give it a second or two between motors. They need more than their normal power level when starting.

Note: If you get a generator that is Watt rated, they will have 2 ratings. Maximum and normal running Watts. You need to look. At the normal running watt value, not the max.

I had this problem with my skyvac atom. I Emailed skyvac and they told me exactly what I needed. Might be worth you doing the same before you go investing either too much or too little in a generator.

Back