Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I met an old guy today...

laddergarder

.. while working on a customers house. He was well into his 60's, well dressed, slim, and had plenty of buzz about him. He drove a nice estate car, and had his mobile holstered on to his trousers belt. Getting ready to go with a hefty lawn mower and blower.

I wasn't sure if he was a family member, or worker, so asked if this was what he does. He said yes, I come round and cut the grass and do the odd bit of other gardening jobs. So I asked how long he had been doing it for. Well, he said. Ohh I have been cutting the grass at this house for about 40 years.

I was job smacked by this guy. He was the fittest old guy I have ever seen. I don't know how long I could keep window cleaning for. It has never really been something I seen myself doing into my 50's and onwards. But who knows.

What do you all think you will do later in life. Can you see yourself continuing to do this?

If you are 50+ and still at going, whats your story, and how are your keeping up with the job?

I started cleaning windows in Feb this year at the age of 51. Before that I had spent 22 years sat behind a desk moving a pen around.

I felt young until I read the above post.

I am always walking over to craftsmen and introduce myself when I see some around when I am working or canvasing - quick chat, we exchange cards or numbers and good luck!

I thing craftsman are the happiest people of them all. Always happy! Probably just here in Dublin. Probably it is something to do with Guinness..

Oh I will continue. Just started and some 13 years to go to get to 50+

I will be doing this the rest of my life until i retire which i don't think i will ever do fully as I will still have a business to keep an eye on

This and pressure washing/softwash

Easy job and will keep you fit in your later years

I will eventually slow down when i have built my empire but will still keep my hand in

25 years so far and am 41 now so probably another 25 years on the glass

I'm 50 and still banging out the work. I've cut out Saturdays now (unless its a quick pressure washing job) and sold off all my trad work to make life easier.

Told myself I'd go 4 days a week once the mortgage has finished. The mortgage has finished but I'm still 5 days a week, simply because I like my social life, I like my holidays, but frankly, I like my job /emoticons/smile.png

.. while working on a customers house. He was well into his 60's, well dressed, slim, and had plenty of buzz about him. He drove a nice estate car, and had his mobile holstered on to his trousers belt. Getting ready to go with a hefty lawn mower and blower.
I wasn't sure if he was a family member, or worker, so asked if this was what he does. He said yes, I come round and cut the grass and do the odd bit of other gardening jobs. So I asked how long he had been doing it for. Well, he said. Ohh I have been cutting the grass at this house for about 40 years.

I was job smacked by this guy. He was the fittest old guy I have ever seen. I don't know how long I could keep window cleaning for. It has never really been something I seen myself doing into my 50's and onwards. But who knows.

What do you all think you will do later in life. Can you see yourself continuing to do this?

If you are 50+ and still at going, whats your story, and how are your keeping up with the job?
was this guy actually clint eastwood?

You've gotta get up and do something when older. I predict working mornings and afternoons in the pub.

I'm 51 and have been on the glass for over 35 years. I only do about 3 days a week tho but usually long days which can involve leaving home at 4.30 am. I still love it. Could never have a proper job! Oh and I like a day on the lorry now and then just for fun!

I'd run a business till I'm dead! Not on the tools obviously, but own one, would keep me alive id have thought.

Don't fancy doing jack all once retired and croaking a year after (has happened)!

I'm 51 and have been on the glass for over 35 years. I only do about 3 days a week tho but usually long days which can involve leaving home at 4.30 am. I still love it. Could never have a proper job! Oh and I like a day on the lorry now and then just for fun!
Wow, that's good going!

Back