Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Adams0211

What's the best way to keep my RO from freezing during winter?

Adams0211

My local water supplier recently put his price up by 25% so I've decided to start producing my own pure.

I've ordered everything I need and it should be here in the next day or two.

Unfortunately I don't have a garage or shed so I've purchased one of those keter outside plastic storage cupboards to house the RO and DI.

I'm guessing it's best to insulate the RO to protect from freezing during the winter months. All I can think of so far is using some sort of insulation board to line the inside of the cupboard.

Any suggestions or tips?

monkeyman

I used to use a greenhouse paraffin heater in a storage box. Used about 5 litres of paraffin all winter.

Adams0211
I used to use a greenhouse paraffin heater in a storage box. Used about 5 litres of paraffin all winter.

Cheers. Didn't think of that.

Doesn't paraffin leave everything covered in black soot though?

monkeyman

It did a bit but a quick wipe down once a week with viro-sol sorts that.

If it's easier enough to get an extension cable to the box use a oil filled radiator.

Dave B

Use the boards that go between studwork behind plasterboard walls as that is great

Maybe a cheap tube heater too

The window cleaning kid

Like Daveyboy says, kingspan or celotex.

100MM would be best for the under the tank but may be over kill on the sides, also could use rockwall roll or cavity bat and expanding foam for any tricky areas.

need to do this my self soon so please let us know the results once the freezzz comes.

monkeyman

I can't find the picture but if you look through my posts October /November 14 there is a picture my box was lined with 50mm Kingspan and the paraffin heater.

Adams0211

Cheers guys.

I take it I can pick it all up in B&Q or somewhere like that?

The window cleaning kid

may be cheaper at builders merchants for some bits, build base / Jewsons / chas low.

Or EBay , possibly free cycle sites as builders often have overs.

Adams0211

Cheers.

I'll probably just go to b&q for convenience.

@daveyboy , cheers for those measurements earlier.

Den

I have a small Keter plastic cabinet thing insulated with 50mm white polystrine what they use between the false walls on the bottom and sides, not enough room on the front door to insulate because of the DI vessel so at the moment I have the front of the RO draped with bubble wrap.

IMG_0298.JPG.c922182b6637993051efcb96abf7e7db.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG.10ffe873d3f5b7536599e66c32a1a2ab.JPG

Dave B
Cheers.

I'll probably just go to b&q for convenience.

@daveyboy , cheers for those measurements earlier.

No worries Neil

If you need me bud you'll have to text me or find me on wassap as my messenger is getting battered with nutters from facebook at the mo so have disabled it again..like the one in valley way i gave you the number for still messaging me

Den

Don't know mate had two of them for a couple ofyears, they was given to me.

What storage are you using for your water?

Adams0211

I've got a 1000L IBC being delivered tomorrow. I've got a pretty large and enclosed drive so it will just sit in the corner until I move house next year and then it'll go in the garage. There's still room for the van on the drive so it's not too bad.

This is the cupboard I got.

IMG_4289.PNG.dbf4a0ebcfcaa588428df902a50140de.PNG

IMG_4289.PNG.c0e154cfe0375209a1bb9bad53a2695d.PNG

spruce

5915cad7e1f91_4040ro052a.jpg.9e7b7d8581e5273dcb910e202f71708f.jpg

The tube heater has been replaced with a higher wattage one - If memory serves me its now around 130 watts.

5915cad7d7f78_4040ro053a.jpg.e552135db63d441d93e281ebf1f5be3f.jpg

5915cad7dd40e_4040ro051a.jpg.e9d9f2686fa18f2717954ddad6b03410.jpg

Den

Looks pretty much the same as mine, what I'm going to do is stand a large piece of the insulation in front of the doors might not look pretty but will provide the extra protection from the frost.

Den

Hello spruce, your set up is in your garage and in a box with a heater, my box is outside and isn't big enough for a tube heater do you think there is a good chance it could get frost damaged?