Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

wfp document

1393jason

Hi All,

Am I going crazy? I could swear somebody uploaded a wfp info document on here recently. I really liked the look of it and wanted to take some ideas from it.

I have used the search feature, but still not able to find anything!

In the early wfp days we had to explain how the cleaning process worked. We were the second w/c in the area to convert to wfp. So it was new and Yorkshire people are by nature suspicious.

Nowadays wfp is a recognised cleaning standard acceptable by most potential customers. We don't even explain the process these days. If someone objects (we had one a couple of years ago) then we just thank them for their time and move on.

We cleaned a customer's house for 4 years wfp. The last time we cleaned she happened to be home and was horrified the windows were left wet. We got paid and dumped for a trad cleaner.

They didn't like the windows being left wet, but were quite happy for a trad cleaner to walk over their roof tiles to clean the bathroom and toilet windows by hand.

TBH I can't be bothered to argue with people like that. Life's too short.

I agree with Spruce and have had a similar things happen. On one occasion the wife had known all along how the windows were being cleaned and was more than happy with it. Then one day her husband was home when I cleaned the windows and he really didn't like it. He wasn't rude or anything but cancelled nevertheless. Their trad cleaner doesn't clean either their frames or the windows over their conny, but that's the way he wants it it seems.

However, when I switched all my work over eight years ago I used something like this: (I lost four out of 400 customers)

Dear Customer,

Your windows will be cleaned shortly using a method that is fast becoming the industry standard – The Water Fed Pole System.

This system uses extendable poles and 100% pure water that has been purified using an industry grade filtering process

We are now using this technology for a number of reasons:

1). BETTER CLEANING RESULTS – The process involves brushing and then rinsing your windows clean with pure water; as such they will be left wet and will need time to dry naturally much as they do after a passing shower. This may be a bit disconcerting at first, as obviously this is not what our customers are used to. However, once dry your windows will be as clean as or cleaner than before in most cases.

2). HEALTH & SAFETY – Legislation has now placed limits on the use of ladders in the workplace. As Window Cleaning is our business, your property is considered our workplace. This legislation therefore applies to us.

3). ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY – Only pure water is used most of the time almost eliminating the need for detergents and chemicals.

4). IMPROVED SERVICE – Window frames are cleaned at no extra charge and we can now reach with ease previously inaccessible aspects of many properties such as hard to reach windows above conservatories, third floor windows and suchlike.

Please note, that as your windows have been cleaned in the past using detergent it may take 2 or 3 visits for the pure water to soak out all the soapy residue from the frames. This may result in minor spotting on your windows. However we are confident that once this is cleared you will be more than happy with the results. We have already had many positive comments from customers who we have already changed over to this new system

My/our aim is to continue to provide a high level of service. Please feel free to contact me/us if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above or any other aspect of our services.

I still come across some who do not like WFP once you start but that is their prerogative. There are plenty who just want their windows cleaned and are not bothered how you do it just so long as they are clean at the end of it. Had one recently who confessed to being amazed at how much better it was than the traditional service she had previously

Me - Teesside. Technically its Cleveland (more technically Redcar and Cleveland) but the older locals still refer to themselves as Yorkshire folk. My late father-in-law always did.

I had a new customer the other day. She seemed borrified that I wasnt squeegeeing the water off. I had to reassure her several times it would dry out fine and if not then I would re-do. I saw her on the school run the other day and she was over the moon with the results. Just goes to show you need an open mind. I have had customers that simply wont give it a chance. Never mind that I clean my own windows WFP!

I agree with Spruce and have had a similar things happen. On one occasion the wife had known all along how the windows were being cleaned and was more than happy with it. Then one day her husband was home when I cleaned the windows and he really didn't like it. He wasn't rude or anything but cancelled nevertheless. Their trad cleaner doesn't clean either their frames or the windows over their conny, but that's the way he wants it it seems.
However, when I switched all my work over eight years ago I used something like this: (I lost four out of 400 customers)

Dear Customer,

Your windows will be cleaned shortly using a method that is fast becoming the industry standard – The Water Fed Pole System.

This system uses extendable poles and 100% pure water that has been purified using an industry grade filtering process

We are now using this technology for a number of reasons:

1). BETTER CLEANING RESULTS – The process involves brushing and then rinsing your windows clean with pure water; as such they will be left wet and will need time to dry naturally much as they do after a passing shower. This may be a bit disconcerting at first, as obviously this is not what our customers are used to. However, once dry your windows will be as clean as or cleaner than before in most cases.

2). HEALTH & SAFETY – Legislation has now placed limits on the use of ladders in the workplace. As Window Cleaning is our business, your property is considered our workplace. This legislation therefore applies to us.

3). ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY – Only pure water is used most of the time almost eliminating the need for detergents and chemicals.

4). IMPROVED SERVICE – Window frames are cleaned at no extra charge and we can now reach with ease previously inaccessible aspects of many properties such as hard to reach windows above conservatories, third floor windows and suchlike.

Please note, that as your windows have been cleaned in the past using detergent it may take 2 or 3 visits for the pure water to soak out all the soapy residue from the frames. This may result in minor spotting on your windows. However we are confident that once this is cleared you will be more than happy with the results. We have already had many positive comments from customers who we have already changed over to this new system

My/our aim is to continue to provide a high level of service. Please feel free to contact me/us if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above or any other aspect of our services.

I still come across some who do not like WFP once you start but that is their prerogative. There are plenty who just want their windows cleaned and are not bothered how you do it just so long as they are clean at the end of it. Had one recently who confessed to being amazed at how much better it was than the traditional service she had previously

Our letter was pretty similar @Marko067. But I stopped bothering as most had no idea what dionized water was back then.

After going into great lengths to explain the r/o process, we got the, "just help yourself to the water you need from the outside tap."

After an explanation many still asked what I put into the water.

I got so tired of the same questions so my reply ended up; "Its not what I put in but what I take out."

Or another explanation "Its magic water" and leave it at that.

My feeling is that if they are asking then they have either had a bad experience or they will turn out to be messers. I'm pretty certain that one local lad uses tap water to clean uppers and a poor trad effort doing lowers. So I am aware that they may have had him clean their windows at some point so I try to give them a little leeway.

Nowadays, wfp doesn't need an explanation IMHO. We turned to wfp 11 years ago as son bought a trad round which comprised of mainly dormers. The previous guys walked all over the roofs to clean windows. We introduced wfp, were their new cleaners, never used wfp before ourselves and South Africans. Not generally a good basis for introducing a new cleaning method to Yorkshire folk. /emoticons/wink.png (No offense meant.)

The previous cleaners cleaned glass only. The frames were minging. Even although we cleaned frames, our new customers were very suspicious. We had to tell them they only needed to pay us when they were 100% happy with the results. Thankfully that guarantee worked well for us and news quickly spread and within days we were the talk of the estate - from zeros to heroes. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Again Spruce, my experience has been pretty much the same as yours. I used the note at the start as I was converting an entire round, but I haven't used it for a long time for all the same reasons.

Thanks for all the replies. I am just going to put a small bit about wfp on my website.

I am also a Yorkshire lad - Doncaster before moving down to Cornwall 6 years ago.

Thanks for all the replies. I am just going to put a small bit about wfp on my website.

I am also a Yorkshire lad - Doncaster before moving down to Cornwall 6 years ago.

Again Spruce, my experience has been pretty much the same as yours. I used the note at the start as I was converting an entire round, but I haven't used it for a long time for all the same reasons.
If we get asked to clean a new customer now we don't bother to discuss cleaning methods. This is the way we clean, that's it.

We discuss frequency, price and payment requirements. We also look for other issues such as locked gates etc.The only time we would bring up our cleaning method is if the windows have poorly maintained wooden frames. We then explain that the window clean isn't guaranteed to be perfect due to this, but we will try our best.

When a newbie, as we were once, first starts off window cleaning, a lack of wfp experience and confidence may be the reason why we feel compelled to produce this explanation letter. It was certainly true in our case.

Some us, myself especially, have this driven need to be professional to the nth degree. But we can also over complicate things. They (the customer) simply want their windows cleaned for an acceptable price. When a customer gets the feeling you are trying to justify your cleaning methods they may get 'scared' off your services.

Nowadays, we find a short verbal response to questions more than adequate.

I do however leave an information sheet with our names and contact details for the customer's future use. It also lists the other services we provide. Most seem to 'loose' that sheet over time. /emoticons/wink.png

If you are dealing with Commercial customers, then this is different. You may have to produce a Risks and Method Statement (RAMS). Businesses are required by law to provide a safe working environment for their employees, so they will be very keen to know you are following safe working practices. Most want this clearly spelt out - its covers their backsides in case there is an accident.

I think that putting an explanation on a website under a cleaning methods tab does no harm. If a customer is interested, then a 'busy' web site is more appealing than a single page one is.

Back