Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Damo

Pencils Vs Fan Jets

Damo

I know this has been done to death but i wanted to check something....

I have been told by many cleaners that using fan jets uses less water and is quicker rinsing!

I measured the flow today and the fan jets used more water per minute than the pencils.

Pencils were set a lower flow but the fans were set to what i thought is the lowest setting i could use.

I would say rinsing was faster and easier but at a cost of more water!!!

Any input.........

Damo

With fans?

Rinsing on at the top of glass to stop overspray. Then away from glass. I did like them. Checked work. But I canned the water. 600L Today!!!!

Den

Thanks for the answer never used fan jets and always wondered about them and always wondered about rinsing on instead off.

Adams0211

Which fans were you using @Damo ?

I've seen all these videos on Facebook of people using these pukka looking fans but I was underwhelmed when I used the ones that came with a brush that I bought.

Adams0211

That's what I was using. Maybe I had duds or hadn't turned the flow up enough. How much higher did you turn your flow up than if you were using pencils? I've got some brass ones knocking about somewhere. I'll have to give them a try.

Green Pro Clean Ltd

Always used fans. I find the opposite. I cane the water with pencil jets but it lasts an age with fan jets.

abs

Weird this one !!! I've always used more water with fan jets so I've settled with pencil jets ,I find my rinse more accurate and faster

steve garwood

Hated fan jets. Found they splashed all over the tightened vents and caused drips to fall from them. I love the accuracy of the pencil jets :)

Marko067

I work faster with fans and have my flow set to 80% with a 5ltr/minute pump. Today I cleaned 26 properties, a mix of 2,3 and 4 bed terraced and semi detached and used 250 ltrs. It would have been nearer 300 with pencils.

Until recently I used to have my flow set to 50% but found I had to work slower to get a good rinse. I used about the same amount of water for a set amount of work but just did it slower.

Marko067

I work faster with fans and have my flow set to 80% with a 5ltr/minute pump. Today I cleaned 26 properties, a mix of 2,3 and 4 bed terraced and semi detached and used 250 ltrs. It would have been nearer 300 with pencils.

Until recently I used to have my flow set to 50% but found I had to work slower to get a good rinse. I used about the same amount of water for a set amount of work but just did it slower.

spruce

I've never used the Gardiner red fan jets, but I put a set of Lumar (???) jets in a brush many years ago before Gardiners sold them. Lumar sold 2 types from memory, a 40 degree fan (blue) and a 60 degree fan (green). I bought the 40 degree fan, blue coloured.

The fan jets give a nice fan when on a low flow, but there isn't enough water to rinse a hydrophobic glass with. If I turn the flow up then there is just a cloud of mist and I get damp (its like working in a rain forest - it reminded me of the rain forest at Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwean side.) So the brush never gets used. Another cleaner advised to remove the blue spray inserts and replace them with black ones. I never did.

It was a little later that Alex posted that he prefers pencil jets. I've never had to much of an issue with pencil jets, bar really 'bad' hydrophobic glass, so I've never bothered to try those other fan inserts.

The issue with the Lumar jets is that they protrude a bit into the bristle area. The nozzles are plastic so no damage will be done to window frames. They do make a lovely sound on the glass, hissing just like a stream cleaner, so any customer nearby will think their windows are getting a really deep clean. ;)

Marko067

I used a pair of jets from Spraytips for a while that were like the Lumar ones by the sound of it. Much of the water turned to spray and blew away, lovely sound and all that. I find the Gardiner ones produce a wet spray rather than a fine spray and suit my working method spot on.

tench0771

i allways found that fans dont rince as well as pencles but ive only tryed the virotech ones

David K
Just the red Gardiner's ones.

Hate those ! As they require a pretty high flow to work properly. Got some older ones of brass , they work fine at lower flow. But canned them and use only pencils now. Love the lower flow and the silent waves down the glass.

The tattood one

At the end o the day...tbe amount o water that comes out o your brush depends o your pump pressure...it the same no mata wot jet...pyt one of each on ya brush n be the same...it just gives 1 jet n 1 spray...same as pissin standin up or sittin down...same effect

tench0771

ur rite m8 but if the fans arnt rincing well u will rince down the window in a much slower way to get the rince u want wich in turn makes u use more water

trevor peacock

I've got fans but they provide a pencil jet unless i have the pressure very high!

windowsurfer

I mainly use gardiner fan jets, I think they might rinse better on hydrophobic glass, just because they spread the water wider, but Im no expert, I like the jets on hydrophilic. Dont know about how much water I use,

I have one massive house, that has the highest hydrophobic glass, nasty, I use about 150 litres anyway for £70.:oops: I use fan jets on that.

Green Pro Clean Ltd

I am also on the standard Gardiner fans and also have some brass with blue tips from TCW. I have never gotten on with Pencils and honestly found that pencils burn more water.

I run my pumps high 70 but find I still use less water than lads working the same areas as I.

It could also be down to technique. I see some lads rinsing for about 5 times longer as it's what they've been taught, may have something to do with it.

Anyhow I am a lover of fans and wont change.

Poles Apart
I mainly use gardiner fan jets, I think they might rinse better on hydrophobic glass, just because they spread the water wider, but Im no expert, I like the jets on hydrophilic. Dont know about how much water I use,

I have one massive house, that has the highest hydrophobic glass, nasty, I use about 150 litres anyway for £70.:oops: I use fan jets on that.

I don't understand this logic I would have thought you would need jets on Phobic?

Marko067

I don't really see a difference between the two when scrubbing. However, in my experience, good fans combined with good flow rate (80% on my setup) excell when rinsing off the glass especially hydrophobic glass.

I find pencils perform quite poorly on hydrophobic glass if you're rinsing off the glass. The water bounces off the glass before it spreads out to form the 'wave' that washes off the loosened dirt. I can rinse so much quicker with good fans especially on downstairs work.

windowsurfer
I don't understand this logic I would have thought you would need jets on Phobic?

In my head your aim is to cascade the water down the glass, in my view pencil jets just hit the glass on a very small area, then the water flys down the window, even though you wag the pole about. Where using fans your covering more surface area at the same time. In my opinion hydrophobic glass is certainly the hardest to rinse n requires more water, but I'm no expert.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Marko067

The water does spread out quite well from say 2 or 3mm pencils on hydrophilic glass but tends to fly off hydrophobic glass before forming that 'wave.'

I know quite a few have said they prefer cleaning the former but I quite enjoy, even prefer cleaning the hydrophobic glass with my fans.

Dave B

I also like cleaning phobic glass

The dirt seems to come off easier while scrubbing as it doesn't want the dirty water on it

trevor peacock

please explain hydrophobic and hydrophilic to an uneducated fool!!!

Also, I've got gardiner fans, they don't really " fan " unless i turn the pressure right up but then i use loads of water, so it's jets from fans for me!!!

I've got this and have the pressure set at 15, anyone else got this or use this controller?

If so what pressure do you set it at?

s-l500.jpg.85e68a079285f02896e65128397d4850.jpg

jason1965

I think ref to fan or pencil jets its each to there own, i started off with pencil jets but the last 5 years always had fan jets, i use gardiner brushes, but i find there fan jets a rubbish and very flimsy, so i drilled some bigger holes and fitted some blue jets i got from wcw, i have my controller on 35 and the water flows really good, One thing i would say, i have two pumps in my van one from shurflo and one of the wcw both 100psi, and the shurflo pump is so much better, i get a different flow rate depending on what pump i use, to get the same flow rate from the wcw pump i have to turn it up to 40/45, which leaves me with the conclusion, that wcw pumps and just very average and you get what you pay for. I will always buy shurflo now.