Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

adamangler

D.I.Y Electric hose reel conversion for less than £50

Iron Giant
13 hours ago, Sam Peden said:

Got mine put together and working today. There's just a huge grin on my face and I reel it in. Just a few things to change now, I think I need to get a longer chain and a tensioner for the chain. With longer chain I can mount sprocket in better location and fix motor to the bench

I love it in the day but it's at night it really comes alive customer I put some blue LEDs in too!

IMG-20170725-WA0009.jpeg

IMG_20170725_221102659.jpg

Looks a really good set up with shelf and lights 

Dr Von Samstein

How are your hose reels? I added a tensioner to mine and it's loads better now, chain never comes off. 

Anyone manage age to add rc to it? Do you think this would work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-4CH-Channel-200M-Wireless-Remote-Control-Relay-Switch-Transceiver-Receiver/131730091890?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D465fce37811c40cb9ad4a24565376a14%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D322701991959&_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726 

I don't really know what I'm doing with this but would love to try so I can reel in as I walk back to the van

peter rogers
21 hours ago, Sam Peden said:

How are your hose reels? I added a tensioner to mine and it's loads better now, chain never comes off. 

Anyone manage age to add rc to it? Do you think this would work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-4CH-Channel-200M-Wireless-Remote-Control-Relay-Switch-Transceiver-Receiver/131730091890?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D465fce37811c40cb9ad4a24565376a14%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D322701991959&_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726 

I don't really know what I'm doing with this but would love to try so I can reel in as I walk back to the van

what tenisoner

johnny bravo

Adam can i put my XMAS order in.    Great work.   Order every bit, send off as a diy set up and make a few ££££££,  id order one,   simple instructions to set up

johnny bravo

can you use this fob for your controller system for your water on / off from an ,      one shot i think

johnny bravo

this WFP method ,   you will soon need  engineering quallifications if applying for a job.      all you needed the old days was a ladder and a bucket  Oh yes a BLACK one,       now from the pound shop.      LOL

Nudel
On 13.9.2017 at 17:59, Sam Peden said:

The relays on that remote can only handle a current load or 10a which might not be enough for your motor? 

It should work fine otherwise though. It can be set to momentary action. Just be careful you don't reel it in accidentally if you have the remote in your pocket. :1f602:

dave83

just built my own electric remote reel.

winding in is not a problem but winding out it is too fast and the hose comes off the reel.

Did anyone else have this problem, and how did you get round it.

Nudel

You aren't supposed to run the motor when reeling out, surely? Or do I misunderstand the concept?

With the correct gearing there should be no issues pulling the hose out manually.

paul alan
On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 16:55, Dr Von Samstein said:

Got mine put together and working today. There's just a huge grin on my face and I reel it in. Just a few things to change now, I think I need to get a longer chain and a tensioner for the chain. With longer chain I can mount sprocket in better location and fix motor to the bench

I love it in the day but it's at night it really comes alive customer I put some blue LEDs in too!

IMG-20170725-WA0009.jpeg

IMG_20170725_221102659.jpg

Nice set-up mate, reminds me of mine!

I'm fairly sad in that I work Saturday and Sunday when needed, glad I dont do a night shift though!

Skxawng

I've just been looking to buy the kit listed on the 1st page but the 25h 80t sprocket isn't available anymore and can't find another one the same. There are some 80 tooth ones but have a lot smaller central hole and don't know if it'll be an issue.

Can anyone recommend another sprocket that fits? Thanks

Also, has anyone found bearings that can be fitted to the metal petal reel?

Edited by Skxawng

Skxawng

I've bought these off eBay. 78 tooth. Hopefully they will line up with the 3 holes on the hosereel.

Screenshot_20190126-155426.png

Still interested if anyone has managed to fit bearings to theirs?

Edited by Skxawng

spruce
3 hours ago, Skxawng said:

I've bought these off eBay. 78 tooth. Hopefully they will line up with the 3 holes on the hosereel.

What is the tooth pitch of that gear? Petrol Scooter say their small sprocket supplied with the motor uses a 6mm (25H) chain, so if this gear has the same pitch to suit this chain then you will be OK. I don't know about the holes lining up though.

Edited by spruce

Stevieboy

Has anybody ever had a go at using a modified hozelock hose reel? The ones which help recoil the hose. I guess they use a wind up spring mechanism. This would save battery power. 

Skxawng
1 hour ago, spruce said:

What is the tooth pitch of that gear? Petrol Scooter say their small sprocket supplied with the motor uses a 6mm (25H) chain, so if this gear has the same pitch to suit this chain then you will be OK. I don't know about the holes lining up though.

It's a 6mm 25h too.

Just reading an old post by @paul alan and he had issues with the spindle not fitting through the hole in the centre of the sprocket. Hope I haven't bought the same one!

paul alan
10 hours ago, Skxawng said:

It's a 6mm 25h too.

Just reading an old post by @paul alan and he had issues with the spindle not fitting through the hole in the centre of the sprocket. Hope I haven't bought the same one!

I took a rounded file and made the hole big enough for the spindle, the only trouble I had was the hole wasn't perfect so lining it up to centre was tricky.

I have had these two reels since last January and they still work all day every day perfectly.

16 hours ago, Skxawng said:

That does look similar to the one I bought, I drilled two more holes in it so it sat down on the reel more straight, it was a tricky little bugger the first time doing it. You have to really take your time and make sure everything is perfectly straight and aligned. I used washers to space the cog away from the reel. I had to keep taking it all apart until I had it all lined up just right. Probably could do it with my eyes closed now.

Skxawng
12 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

Has anybody ever had a go at using a modified hozelock hose reel? The ones which help recoil the hose. I guess they use a wind up spring mechanism. This would save battery power. 

I've thought about it, but the longest one I've seen was 20m. That is with garden hose but even with smaller diameter hose it would still be 20m as I imagine there are a limited number of turns the spring will be able to do even if you could fit more hose on the reel.

The best thing about those reels is the way they wind it back on evenly. I wish I could replicate that.

Stevieboy
37 minutes ago, Skxawng said:

I've thought about it, but the longest one I've seen was 20m. That is with garden hose but even with smaller diameter hose it would still be 20m as I imagine there are a limited number of turns the spring will be able to do even if you could fit more hose on the reel.

The best thing about those reels is the way they wind it back on evenly. I wish I could replicate that.

Yer I know what you are saying. They do a 40m. 

spruce
13 hours ago, Skxawng said:

It's a 6mm 25h too.

You could use one of these in a drilling machine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abrasive-Sanding-Flap-Wheel-Mop-KLINGSPOR-KM613-Sandpaper-Metal-Stainless-Steel/263715374147?hash=item3d66a94443:m:mocy1ceHUGpofO2tjNr4XQA:rk:7:pf:0

You have more chance of opening the centre hole up 'evenly' this way.

Obviously the head or drum needs to be slightly smaller than the original hole.

I would recommend you get a white marker and draw out a bigger hole as a guide using a template. Aerosol caps can be a good choice if you find one slightly bigger than the hole you have.

Edited by spruce

spruce
16 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Good price and hole size but it state's that its out of stock.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STONEDER-Sprocket-Stroke-Chinese-Scooter/dp/B072Q1WGRY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548776337&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=sprocket+6mm+25h+80+t+80+tooth+cog

Someone is buying up stock on Ebay and selling on Amazon.

scottish cleaning service
7 minutes ago, spruce said:

Cheers, just bought one for the future. Prices will begin to rise from China now because they are concentrating the selling in China so I'm told.

spruce
1 hour ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Cheers, just bought one for the future. Prices will begin to rise from China now because they are concentrating the selling in China so I'm told.

They also advised that they wouldn't be selling motors with chain sprockets any longer. Then a month later they were back in stock and selling as if nothing had happened.

scottish cleaning service
26 minutes ago, spruce said:

They also advised that they wouldn't be selling motors with chain sprockets any longer. Then a month later they were back in stock and selling as if nothing had happened.

The UK Gov has closed down some sites because they were not paying vat. Maybe they just open up under a different name.

On 21/07/2017 at 21:37, spruce said:

Half the voltage means half the speed and half the torque.

If you feed it with 24v the motor is too fast. Thre was a guy on the other forum that started this diy conversion. He connected 2 x 12v batteries together in series and said it is was too fast and too powerful.

I’ve seen someone add a control to there switch so they can modulate speed

Skxawng

To anyone wanting a motor, I think I've found the best deal I've ever seen: A 250w 24v motor with 11 tooth sprocket for £3.49 with free postage!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microfibre-Glasses-Cleaner-Spectacles-Sunglasses/dp/B07933CTHH/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548770088&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=250w+24v+motor&dpPl=1&dpID=415FKdQzpkL&ref=plSrch

I assume it's a mistake but I bought 2 yesterday and got them today. Perfect. 

Grab em while you can!

Screenshot_20190129-184642.png

45 minutes ago, Skxawng said:

To anyone wanting a motor, I think I've found the best deal I've ever seen: A 250w 24v motor with 11 tooth sprocket for £3.49 with free postage!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microfibre-Glasses-Cleaner-Spectacles-Sunglasses/dp/B07933CTHH/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548770088&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=250w+24v+motor&dpPl=1&dpID=415FKdQzpkL&ref=plSrch

I assume it's a mistake but I bought 2 yesterday and got them today. Perfect. 

Grab em while you can!

Screenshot_20190129-184642.png

Have a day off! 

Just received mine from the same supplier but from eBay, £23.99.

I think it’s supposed to say £23.49, will return my other one and buy 2 at that price!

Edited by

Just ordered 2! Will wait till arrived then return eBay order.

Thanks mate