Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaner+locksmith???

Luke Barnard

Does anybody have any thoughts on running an emergency locksmith business on the the back of a regular window cleaning round?

I'm thinking of it as more of a top up income really, say I get a phonecall, if the job and location suit then I drop the windows, jump in the van (accompanied by old skool batman music) and race off to unlock a door....hourly rate goes up and once I'm done I go back to the windows. If the job and location does not suit then I pass and they call the next number on yell.com.

Windows would be my bread and butter still but I would have the potential for higher earning jobs as and when they arrise without having to rely on the phone ringing.

I've room in my van for tools and stock, a rough idea of training required and a fair grasp of setup costs and advertising but its very much at the beer mat stage.....any more informed opinions much appreciated.

Paul has done some great vids on his channel and even picks a lock with his feet lol

Twice in all the years window cleaning i have had to break in for a customer when they have locked themselves out

Once with a Tesco clubcard and once with a plastic coke bottle and my scraper to cut a rectangle out of it

Only yale locks though not Chubb 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've climbed through a few windows for regular custys before, mine more then a few times, but I wouldn't add it to my extra list, don't think it'll look good disappearing halfway through a job

as tuffers and dave said, i used to be a locksmith, i was very passionate about it for a few years. there is a real buzz when u pick open a lock on a real door in 30 seconds then get 60 quid. 

i dont do it because i get stressed out by it, you dont know when someone will be locked out or what the situation will be until u get there and of course its always immediate action required. however ive never failed to complete a job, i can do it fairly well, but i just cant cope with the waiting for a call at any moment part, its just me I have an anxiety disorder which gets intensified by the not knowing. its a shame as i can always do the job, im a fairly good picker and have all equipment still, one day i may take it back up. 

dont forget, an average job will not be 2 mins work (sometimes it is) you have traveling there and back plus if u need to go back with spare parts etc, or you have to fit new mortice locks and the keeps and hole are always different sizes and everything needs adjusting.   often u will earn the same if not more on the windows if u have a gd round and no stress (my reasoning again) 

but more often than not its just a basic euro lock on a modern door, if it dont pick it will drill. 

i wont put u off but as u could well increase ur income nicely and its not physically demanding like window cleaning. just dont go over the top on tools, i can help u out there, tell u what u really need.

i even wrote a mortice lock identification manual free to download at uklocksport 

Seems like a good earner. Never hurts to have another string to your bow.

Like you say if you already have a round you get to pick and choose what jobs you take on. 

Back