Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

non return valve

just ordered one, should fit ok, they are 1/2 inch and the hose coming out of tank is standard garden hose so fingers crossed.

I bought 1 from Varitech (streamline). It's been fitted and working perfectly since the start of the winter. It's cut into 1/2 inch hose. I can't remember the price as I was stocking up on filters, resin and other spares at the time. It wouldn't have been expensive. 

What is the issue you're trying to resolve?
I meant to get one ages ago, hopefully it will stop or help stop airlocks. Am still getting trouble with pump not working right. Also am gonna put the pump as low as it will go. I know some have the pump up high though without any problems so maybe not worth it. Just trying everything really. Got new battery, needed one anyway, but that wasnt the issue, everythings tightened up etc. If I dont get any joy soon im just gonna get a fleet of backpacks, and take arms against a sea of dirty windows! sorry, got a bit carried away there 

I found the best way to get rid of airlocks are JG fittings. They are flush and perfectly sized to go through the pump with no obstructions. Using 1/2'' garden hose with jubilee clips can't compare IMO. The only issue is you have to switch to garden hose just before the hose reel. Loads of lads use standard hozelock style fittings without issue so i'm not saying that doesn't work just something I found, literally never had air in the system since (touch wood).

Have you tried purging the pump without the hose reel connected? If you get a good strong flow from the pump to reel it shouldn't be too difficult to blast the air out of the hose reel. You could take that one step further and blast the hose reel directly from the garden tap at the same time.

Its the fittings that came with the shurflo, not jubilee clips. They fit snug and with ptf tape. have garden hose coming from the tank, no leeks at all there, tight as a drum. Yes all just seems so strange. has worked before for months and no problem. I have blasted it without it connected to reel, we tried all sorts, and sucking hose till about to pass out. Yes could try that blasting the reel from garden tap. Thing is, when it works, and then later it dont, its ages to sort it all again. Proper pita. I know van mounts are much more vital for a lot of work, but you just know the backpacks never gonna give grief like this. Would be good if they could sell a pump, with all hose and connections needed for full set up, that would be gauranteed to work fine. 

All I know is the best in the business use push fit connections for their machines. I have seen set up's from Daqua where Doug has used JG before the pump. I've seen a fancy Ionics system that has push fit connections too.

@ks789 are you using a flat tank  which I think I remember that you are and is this intermittent issue occurring during your working day when the water level in the tank is lower if you live in a hilly area and have a flat tank plus have the pump high up or not even that high you will get issues, so you may need to disconnect hose from the reel and run the pump at a higher setting which is something I had to do at times 2-3 times a day. 

For example, if an airlock develops in 6" to 12" of 1/2" hose it will cause an issue and it won't simply push through 100m of hose in seconds or minutes in some cases, if the above mentioned is the case then you will have to pull up at certain jobs and disconnect from the hose reel and run the pump before starting to check for an airlock.

Its an upright tank, but hopefully to finally fix it, have a non return valve should arrive in a day or so, also putting the pump lower and maybe the tank a bit higher. And getting john guest fittings for the pump. will keep you posted, much appreciation for advise chaps.

Check the strainer see if it is blocked 

Or

Take pump head off (which is the black plastic housing) wash out the inside, there is a centre rubber cone /disc. take a small screwdriver and slide it under under cone and gentle lift it up. Have a look to see if there are any bits of dirt or resin beads that have got under the rubber cone. Once cleaned WELL (take you time, even if it looks clean) and you may well find it has resolved the issue. Screw it all back together turn pump on full bore / 99 or 10 and the water should start flowing through. Have had this many times over the years on my vans. Always fixed the problem, been out to vans of workers and window cleaner friends and sorted them out at the side of the road. After figuring this out a few years ago i got some of my redundant old pumps that i believed to be broken, did the above and they all came back to life. I only use the Shurflo Pumps This is the centre cone i was taking about

shurflo-valve-kit-epdm-94-390-08.jpg

Check the strainer see if it is blocked 

Or

Take pump head off (which is the black plastic housing) wash out the inside, there is a centre rubber cone /disc. take a small screwdriver and slide it under under cone and gentle lift it up. Have a look to see if there are any bits of dirt or resin beads that have got under the rubber cone. Once cleaned WELL (take you time, even if it looks clean) and you may well find it has resolved the issue. Screw it all back together turn pump on full bore / 99 or 10 and the water should start flowing through. Have had this many times over the years on my vans. Always fixed the problem, been out to vans of workers and window cleaner friends and sorted them out at the side of the road. After figuring this out a few years ago i got some of my redundant old pumps that i believed to be broken, did the above and they all came back to life. I only use the Shurflo Pumps This is the centre cone i was taking about

Handy, my mates always saving chain saws etc that people think have had it. will have a look in pump at wkend if the other efforts fail.

yes they look ok, metal too and good price.

I bought 1 from Varitech (streamline). It's been fitted and working perfectly since the start of the winter. It's cut into 1/2 inch hose. I can't remember the price as I was stocking up on filters, resin and other spares at the time. It wouldn't have been expensive. 
Hi i'm just about to fit one of these non return valves did you fit before or after pump or doesn't it matter where it's fitted? Thanks

Hi is this fitted before or after pump? thanks

If it's any help, I fitted a non return valve about six inches above the tank outlet. My theory being to hold as much water as possible in the system above the nrv. My nrv is nylon but I expect the result should be the same. No airlocks since fitting. Touch wood. All my problems prior to fitting the nrv were down to air being sucked in on the suction side, before the pump. The tiniest amount can cause havoc. 

If it's any help, I fitted a non return valve about six inches above the tank outlet. My theory being to hold as much water as possible in the system above the nrv. My nrv is nylon but I expect the result should be the same. No airlocks since fitting. Touch wood. All my problems prior to fitting the nrv were down to air being sucked in on the suction side, before the pump. The tiniest amount can cause havoc. 
Yeh mines just a cheap nylon/plastic one. I put it about six inches after the tank outlet. Dont know if its done much or if thats what my problem was but no airlocks anymore and cant do any harm at that price.

Great thanks i will fit this nrv before pump and hopefully same as you no airlocks. Thanks for your help.

Yeh mines just a cheap nylon/plastic one. I put it about six inches after the tank outlet. Dont know if its done much or if thats what my problem was but no airlocks anymore and cant do any harm at that price.
That's great will do the same with mine. Thanks 

Back