Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Blocked downpipe clearing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Corps012588

Just after a few ideas for what could be used to unblock downpipes when clearing gutters.

I did one this morning and whilst at the top of the ladder I thought there must be a way to do this from the ground.

I use progutter tools from the ground and love them but just wondered if any of you guys have a way to unblock the downpipes.

I was thinking of possibly using an electricians cable fishing kit but don't think they would be flexible enough

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I use a thick bike lock (the armored cable type) its flexy and also use it to lock the ladders on top of the van in addition to rhino clamps. £20 from screwfix i think it was. If that dont work and its solidly filled with muck i just pull the joints apart. I have had to remove and re-fit whole downpipes that were blocked from top to bottom. 3 meter long sausage shaped mud mass slid out the bottom it was a great experience. If its cast iron downpipe & blocked all the way down i just leave it to plumbers, theres no way im getting angle grinders out to cut through cast brackets etc

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Or a drain snake auger up it works.

Or flooding it with water, attaching to the end of your vac pole a thinner vacuum pole to go down the pipe. I sometimes wrap and tie a wet cloth around the extension so when it does into the pipe it improves suction and if possible block the bottom of the down pipe again with a wet cloth to help with suction. 

Sometimes it’s quicker to take the down pipe to bits but if you don’t use ladders I’ve used this with great success - it would be quite difficult on a restricted access downpipe but the wire is very malleable
6ea6a5a81a5e96bdf99f5b79f8b50275.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

If easy to take the elbow part out this is best. If not l use chimney cleaning rods to push it down and flush it with water hose. I would cover the drain hole to avoid the dirt going in the drain.

Back