Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best brush...advice needed

Suhrly

Hi guys. I'm transitioning my round over to WFP and wanted to know which brush I should get first!?! I'll be getting a Gardiner SLX22 pole and obviously you can choose a brush to get with it. A good all rounder mainly for maintenance cleans but also for leaded and first cleans ideally. Or if need be I can get another for first cleans.

I was looking at the Xtreme Medium Natural Hybrid as it's only 95g. Or maybe the Super-Lite Medium Mixed as it's their best seller. Any advice?

The xtreme brush you suggested is my favourite. However, I have mine on a swivel. If you don't intend to use a swivel I would suggest someting with longer bristles and better splay to get in those corners. Perhaps a supreme.

Oh, and if you have many leaded windows to clean either a soft of flocked brush would be my suggestion

Last edited by a moderator:
The xtreme brush you suggested is my favourite. However, I have mine on a swivel. If you don't intend to use a swivel I would suggest someting with longer bristles and better splay to get in those corners. Perhaps a supreme.

Thanks Marko, yeah I intend to get a swivel! I have a couple of awkward windows on my round where I don't think I can get to with a fixed brush.

You may find the swivel odd to use at first but stick with it if you can. You won't regret it. It makes your pole and brush a whole lot more versatile.

So you're saying NOT to get a sill brush?

I think what CSS is saying is that you are more likely to scratch a sill if you don't use a sill brush.

Though this may be true, I have not found this to be a problem. However, this could depend much on your work so I am not saying they are no good. Lots of us like and recommend them.

I think what CSS is saying is that you are more likely to scratch a sill if you don't use a sill brush.

Though this may be true, I have not found this to be a problem. However, this could depend much on your work so I am not saying they are no good. Lots of us like and recommend them.

Well I was thinking a sill brush too, but reading a few things on here put me off. This is why I started this thread to hopefully get some insight and some advice on the right one for me. Marko while we're on do you know which swivel adapter I should get? I'm thinking the angled one with quick-lok from Gardiner...? And that just slides onto the angle adapter right?

There is no way for someone to be able to tell you which brush you will like the best mate.

Its trial and error for you.

Can tell you this though, you don't want anything too heavy.

Usually the lighter you go the less scrubbing power the brush has, the extreme is really light but I would say this is a more advanced brush for advanced cleaners. I have one but don't use it much.

And some brushes are better for different windows.

I reckon after 6-12 month's and using multiple brushes you may know which is the best brush for you.

I prefer shorter bristles and medium weight, so I have an ultimate brush.

You should watch this 

I have the orange ultimate brush for the last 3 or 4 weeks and i love it and use a superlite flocked for leaded windows, but i do not rate it very much and will eventually try a ultimate flocked or soft i think. I bought a xline mono sill brush on my first day back in the new year as i always wanted to try a sill brush and had good reviews, i hate it! its heavy and clumsy and because of the additional angled bristle area (that make it a sill brush) you have no idea where the jets are rinsing unless you have the brush 12"-18" off the glass as you cannot see them and this causes the water to splash everywhere......hence me buying the orange ultimate a week later!

Well I was thinking a sill brush too, but reading a few things on here put me off. This is why I started this thread to hopefully get some insight and some advice on the right one for me. Marko while we're on do you know which swivel adapter I should get? I'm thinking the angled one with quick-lok from Gardiner...? And that just slides onto the angle adapter right?

Yep. That’s the one I’m using currently.

If you don’t or aren’t likely to want to swap brushes I’d recommend the non q-loq version.

Flocked for your leaded and wooden windows, ultimate medium or medium soft for rest or your work I used a flocked sill brush for a few months then went over to the ultimate brush’s much better than the sill brush for windows in my opinion. 

Thanks for all the advice as usual guys! I've went with the Ultimate Medium/Soft brush. Only time will tell if I've made a good choice :D I will however be buying more so will probably go for a flocked for the leaded ones  :1f44d:

Tis a good choice.

Like many of us you will probably have a shed full of brushes eventually and end up saying that the first one you bought is your favourite.  :1f603: :1f603:

I have three brushes in my arsenal. The Xtreme nat/hybrid, my everyday maintenance clean brush. An Ultimate flocked and an Ultimate med/soft for extra scrubbing power if necessary, which is rare for me. Flocked for leaded

Is anyone using Tucker Brushes? I’ve had my mono filament one since Nov 2016 and it’s still going strong, it cost me about £70 all in and has outlasted Gardiner brushes over twofold.
Well chuffed with it.
I understand it’s become harder to get one now due to import costs. Unless anyone knows where to get one?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

supreme is my brush of choice, i find its a good balance of scrubbing power and weight plus the bristles stick out at an angle at the side so less scraping on the sills plus the plastic head is smaller than the other brushes,more tucked in!

i mix between the soft flocked for leaded etc and medium mixed hybrid.

i also keep an extreme natural for when the arms get tired towards the end of the week too.

i used to use the superlite when i first started but that weighed a ton, its about finding whats best weight for yourself with best scrubbing power.

Thanks for all the advice as usual guys! I've went with the Ultimate Medium/Soft brush. Only time will tell if I've made a good choice :D I will however be buying more so will probably go for a flocked for the leaded ones  :1f44d:
Probably too late for this order but if your ordering again get one or two of these. 

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/brushes/brush-head-attachments/super-litear-brush-bumper.html

I needed it heat mine up to fit it, mind. Will help minimise any potential damage. 

Back