Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Looking to purchase a new wet system for my cleaning

VW Crafter

just got my website built, www.scottishcleaningservice.com

My honest opinion is that you need to be careful about being seen as a 'jack of all trades and master of none.' I'm not implying this is the case, its just what potential customers might perceive at first glance.

I would tend to want to separate things not cleaning related ie joinery and gas repairs and get a new website for those.

You might then want to sticker your van up with a name that encompasses all job sectors, ie. "Scottish Property Maintenance. All aspects of property maintenance undertaken." You get where I'm coming from.

Most know that I spent many good career years working for Bosch Power Tools as part of the after sales service team in South Africa.

As a company, our core business was selling and servicing Bosch Power Tools. But over time we started to add other sales lines that were hardware related but not power tool related. These included Companion gas barbecues, Gardenia Hose fittings and Gardenia gardening tools amongst others. As a company we did very well selling Gardenia and it became the most recognised hose fittings brand in South Africa due to our efforts. But we lost focus on what our core values were, emphasised when out of the blue, Gardenia announced that it was taking the agency away from us and opening their own sales and distribution center in Johannesburg. They even had a go at poaching some of our sales team.

It was only when we cleared out everything not power tool related and focus on our own brand did our business get back on track.

I also think you need to expand on the answers to your FAQ - for example, why does being a firman for 16 years make you trustworthy? I found out why by Googling attributes of a fireman, but it wasn't immediately apparent to me when I first looked at your answer.

https://www.firerescue1.com/firefighter-training/articles/781925-The-10-traits-all-great-firefighters-have/

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Spruce, you are correct about taking too much on and behaving like a handyman. I used to do property maintenance and by accident the window cleaning took off. So now I have a dilemma, which one to focus on? I have 30 customers at moment and if I get anymore then I will have to drop the property maintenance because i'm a one man band.

one likes to know the character of a person who they are employing to clean their windows. Fire Service is a disciplined service and everyone knows we enter homes without anyone in them, so we can be trusted.

in my estate, I'm the new neighbourhood watch because I see everything when doing windows and they all know me.

If I get the new estate cleaning windows then I will invest in a WFP system and drop the property maintenance.

cheers m

thanks Spruce, you are correct about taking too much on and behaving like a handyman. I used to do property maintenance and by accident the window cleaning took off. So now I have a dilemma, which one to focus on? I have 30 customers at moment and if I get anymore then I will have to drop the property maintenance because i'm a one man band.

one likes to know the character of a person who they are employing to clean their windows. Fire Service is a disciplined service and everyone knows we enter homes without anyone in them, so we can be trusted.

in my estate, I'm the new neighbourhood watch because I see everything when doing windows and they all know me.

If I get the new estate cleaning windows then I will invest in a WFP system and drop the property maintenance.

cheers m

Its a difficult one tbh. When we first started window cleaning we were looking for all sorts of other jobs as we didn't have enough customers. So we offered the usual inside cleans, gutter clearing and fascia, gutter and soffit cleans. We pushed conservatory roof cleans even although I hated it. We offered to clean garage doors as well.

But further down the line this add on stuff as become more of a hassle. We are chock a block with window cleaning work and will only do other stuff for existing customers now. But last year we just got unindated with conservatory roof and gutter cleans from existing customers. We have never had so many in all the years we have been cleaning windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a difficult one tbh. When we first started window cleaning we were looking for all sorts of other jobs as we didn't have enough customers. So we offered the usual inside cleans, gutter clearing and fascia, gutter and soffit cleans. We pushed conservator roof cleans even although I hated it. We offered to clean garage doors as well.

But further down the line this add on stuff as become more of a hassle. We are chock a block with window cleaning work and will only do other stuff for existing customers now. But last year we just got unindated with conservatory roof and gutter cleans from existing customers. We have never had so many in all the years we have been cleaning windows.
I'm keeping a diary now and just telling customers I am too busy unless they want to wait a few weeks.

Back