Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Commercial builders cleans

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Leave them for someone else unless you're short of work. Total pain and time consuming. Price at least 4x per side of glass. It could take you longer than you invisage.

Tuffers is right. It can be frustrating work, not enjoyable as theres all sorts of horrible naties that builders create. exactly the kind of jobs people are picky about, if you cant get it perfect you’ll know about it. Theres nothing fun about cleaning up other peoples mess especially when no consideration or regard for the job has been taken and the place has been destroyed. I showed up to one where i agreed to do the interiors as well. Biggest mistake i ever made. They were still plastering, painting, fitting door frames & electrics when we showed up. it was effectively still a builders site. There was dried on plaster & paint all over the interior glass, frames, sills, painter slapping it on the ceiling singing at the top of her voice, blatantly didn’t give a toss as she assumed id be tidying up after her. no frames had been taped up or protected.
Way underpriced it. Stood no chance of cleaning it, it was beyond salvation may as well have replaced the windows. Had to abandon the job in the end, stood no chance of turning a profit and couldn’t work around those cowboys. They left pencil marks all over the new soffits they had installed above an extension. So couldn’t even put a ladder up to use a rubber. I had a paddy with the developer in the end and said its not me who made the mess, its beyond me, they made it they can deal with it..and just left.
Another builder on a different job caked all the new gutters in mud and dust, asked us to clean them up so we did, and then tucked us up, just effectively went off the radar. Looked up his company and the reviews from his customers state he was a problem from start to finish on a lot of jobs so that kind of figured.
Ever since those two occasions a long time ago I’ve priced out builders cleans or just said no, can not be pooped with it.
The mistakes i made when i first started out were enough to give me nightmares to this day. No moooore!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Large house builders want the job done for as little as possible and in some cases expect miracles take on board all of the above as other trades don't give a toss about another or who is cleaning up after them, they are a lot of hard graft i did builders clean for over 6 months external only and i was glad when the sub contractor lost the contract as it meant no more builders cleans 

Large house builders want the job done for as little as possible and in some cases expect miracles take on board all of the above as other trades don't give a toss about another or who is cleaning up after them, they are a lot of hard graft i did builders clean for over 6 months external only and i was glad when the sub contractor lost the contract as it meant no more builders cleans 
Bless you, 6 months of builders cleans, thats a real sentence. Mr Mandela you are free sir! [emoji122]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I am also a victim, it's soul destroying, poorly paid (my fault, I underpriced it). I was glad to finish that week seeing how poor these new builds were cobbled together, but what struck me the most was the number of these so called "tradesmen" just didn't take any pride whatsoever In their work and left it up to us divvies to sort it out.
I'm getting cold sweats just thinking about it!

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Agree with comments best left alone - done many myself - best piece of advice if you do them is to get customer to sign waiver against scratches and damage - you are last one there and will get blamed if they dont agree walk away!

I'll walk them round job too and point out any damage b4 i start although when covered in plaster dust etc difficult to tell only visible when clean with sun shining through - that and a waiver gets point across - do it with confidence

I only agree to do them if I can charge by the hour.

After half a days work you can go up to the customer and say, "so far it'll cost you this much, to get the last 5% to perfection will take at least another two hours". Many just agree to leave it at that, and leave the odd speck to be removed during regular cleans in the future.

The worst types of builders cleans is where there have been some dolt with an angle grinder close by the windows.. £350k house where all the windows below the terrasse were damaged beyond repair. Breaks my hearth.

I used to do the whole lot, internal external glass, cabinets and floors in brand new shops.. Worse aspect was tile grout on tile where from lazy tilers labourer left grout everywhere. Plus there was times tradies were still working while cleaning easy going on making everything filthy again. 

Some people take a to it easily, But for me it was a whole load of stress I would be flat out with me own work and doing showhouses then you would get a call at 5pm saying they wanted three 4 bed detached houses doing before 10am the following morning so off to work at 6am as no access to the site on a evening.

Some people take a to it easily, But for me it was a whole load of stress I would be flat out with me own work and doing showhouses then you would get a call at 5pm saying they wanted three 4 bed detached houses doing before 10am the following morning so off to work at 6am as no access to the site on a evening.

They are all the same want everything done yesterday, I tend to just stay on site run it my way as in keep on top of painters and nip off to do private work when I’m waiting on other trades to finish works for me and like you say it’s not for everyone but I find it very satisfying

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back