Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pension for employee those who employ

Eddie dragon

I had to sack my part timer in November. Took it as an opportunity to rework the round. Dropped some out of the way work an slow payers.  So now back to growing good work. Really won't be long before needing help a couple of days a week again.  My accountant won'ts £300 to set up a pension then £50 a month on payroll to run it.  I know at part time no one is really likely to opt in. My question realy is to those employing full time. Has it been a big issue?  Has it put you off employing?  

Do I have other options than accountant.?  I don't won't to change he's awesome only pension price I object to. Don't have time to do myself.  

I don't employ yet.

But I will do by Monday, just taken on my first lad. Only 16 hours a week though so may be different to a full timer.

I spoke to a few companies about doing pension and payroll.

The best price I got for 1 employee was

£18 a month for payroll, Inc dealing with pension.

£50 one off fee for setting up the pension and I think £25 one off fee for setting up paye.

But ive decided to do it myself using payroll software(brightpay free)

A pension is free to setup and running the payroll doesnt seem too complicated either.

Also don't forget you don't have to auto enrol them if they earn less than a certain amount, they can opt out. Hopefully mine will lol

What you have been quoted is way more than any quotes I got and I got about 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our accountant costs £120 per month and for that runs everything related to the accounts.  The only extra charge is an annual filing fee which I think is £13. 

I have heard and I could be wrong as I don't use it that Quick books for £18 per month takes care of all that for you.  

I'm long in the tooth these days so will swallow the cost of being sure I dont have HMRC on my back and just pay the accountant. 

I’m not sure if I’m right but it what I would be thinking

Can you not just invoice somebody for there days wages and put them down as a subcontractor they will just have to be self employed and pay they own taxes

Well I think any way

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Try sage one payroll!
Very cheap does all pensions so you don't need an accountant.
We've had it for years

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

I’m just in the process of employing myself. I’ve got the payroll and pension bit sorted but I’m not sure about statutory sick pay. It seems like a bit of a grey area when googling info on weather you have to pay it or not. It just says that after 4 days off employees are entitled to around £90 per week. Does anyone know if this is compulsory or is it at the employers discretion? I have thought about goin to an accountant but if I can do it myself I will so I don’t have to pass the cost on to my customers.

I don’t no the real answer but I would think it’s compulsory but I would also think if you employ on a 0 hours contract I wouldn’t think you would have to pay sick pay then but as I say I don’t no the answer

I’m just in the process of employing myself. I’ve got the payroll and pension bit sorted but I’m not sure about statutory sick pay. It seems like a bit of a grey area when googling info on weather you have to pay it or not. It just says that after 4 days off employees are entitled to around £90 per week. Does anyone know if this is compulsory or is it at the employers discretion? I have thought about goin to an accountant but if I can do it myself I will so I don’t have to pass the cost on to my customers.

My understanding was that any statutory benefits, sick pay, maternity pay etc have to be paid as they are a statutory requirement.

But I wouldn't take my word for it...

The people to ring for free advice is ACAS 

We use xero ourselves accountants support the accounts function, they run payroll for 14 people, pension and sort all tax

We pay around £150-200 a month

The monthly is expensive but set up about right for the pension scheme

We use xero ourselves accountants support the accounts function, they run payroll for 14 people, pension and sort all tax

We pay around £150-200 a month

The monthly is expensive but set up about right for the pension scheme

That’s just over a tenner per employee, that’s not bad. I’m not planning on getting that big but you never know what’s around the corner.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

just in the process of employing myself. I’ve got the payroll and pension bit sorted but I’m not sure about statutory sick pay. It seems like a bit of a grey area when googling info on weather you have to pay it or not. It just says that after 4 days off employees are entitled to around £90 per week. Does anyone know if this is compulsory or is it at the employers discretion? I have thought about goin to an accountant but if I can do it myself I will so I don’t have to pass the cost on to my customers.
Yes its law. Realy annoyed me when I found out no distinction from full or part time. So if full time £90 part time £90. 

Have you got your employee on an hourly rate or zero hours contract? Also have you used a solicitor to draw up his contract or have you just done it yourself? There’s so many things to sort out but once it’s done it’ll be well worth it I reckon.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Im giving him a 16 hour per week contract.

No I'm using a contract template from the  ACAS website and modifying it slightly to my needs. 

There's no real need to use a solicitor or payroll provider etc as long as you are thorough and make sure you check and double check everything you are doing is correct and not breaking any employment laws.

Back