Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Clisty1989

And so it begins...

Clisty1989

Silly season has arrived early this year for me, in the last 24 hours I have picked up...

6 gutter cleans

2 Conny roofs

To top it all off I also picked up 4 softwashing jobs, 1st year doing them, done my own and a few smaller jobs but these are full houses from gutters down! Charging hourly rate of £35ph + cost of chems.

I'm gonna be busy:delusional:

Tuffers
1 hour ago, Clisty1989 said:

Silly season has arrived early this year for me, in the last 24 hours I have picked up...

6 gutter cleans

2 Conny roofs

To top it all off I also picked up 4 softwashing jobs, 1st year doing them, done my own and a few smaller jobs but these are full houses from gutters down! Charging hourly rate of £35ph + cost of chems.

Charge more if you're flat out. Don't be a busy fool 👍

scottish cleaning service

6 gutter cleans

2 Conny roofs

can you fill us newbies in on softwashing jobs? cheers m

Clisty1989
19 minutes ago, Tuffers said:

Charge more if you're flat out. Don't be a busy fool 👍

Got softwashing jobs 1st, all other work 25% overpriced, if it carrys on then I'll add 50% instead

Clisty1989
1 minute ago, scottish cleaning service said:

can you fill us newbies in on softwashing jobs? cheers m

There's a whole section on here, but basically cleaning brickwork, render, patios etc with chems instead of a pressure washer. The chem are nasty and dangerous if used incorrectly, so if you wanna look into doing it, do your homework. @Green Pro Clean Ltd has done a few threads on how dangerous and hazardous these jobs can be

4 minutes ago, Clisty1989 said:

There's a whole section on here, but basically cleaning brickwork, render, patios etc with chems instead of a pressure washer. The chem are nasty and dangerous if used incorrectly, so if you wanna look into doing it, do your homework. @Green Pro Clean Ltd has done a few threads on how dangerous and hazardous these jobs can be

I see, like using brick acid to remove the white efflorescence in the mortar joints.

Green Pro Clean Ltd
18 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

I see, like using brick acid to remove the white efflorescence in the mortar joints.

Kind of, softwashing is using the least aggressive method possible to get the job done. 

chris clean

6 gutter cleans

2 Conny roofs

Same here mate been crazy busy with new customers these last few weeks and this torrential rain we have had this week on South coast is meaning loads of calls for gutter clearance. Ive upped my costs again for this type of work but still getting the jobs. Not complaining mind it's great but I'm struggling to keep Up. 

what's the typical price to clean a normal conservatory roof? I charged £100 but I had to

seal bits with silicon. Thx m

chris clean
5 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

what's the typical price to clean a normal conservatory roof? I charged £100 but I had to

seal bits with silicon. Thx m

For me mate it totally depends on the individual conservatory. Some go by how many panels a Connie has etc but I just go have a look work out how long it will take and price it up. Done little lean too types over a door for a tenner when doing the other stuff on house up to 200 for a massive one. Just depends how long it takes 

steve garwood

I’m not doing anything that takes over half a day as I only have time to do add on’s on a Saturday and I only intend doing two Saturdays a month at the most.

Got a fellow windie who will take the bigger jobs off me. I won’t earn a lot out of him, but rather that than work all day on a Saturday. Pub time. Have a good weekend lads/lassies 🍺🍺👍

Incheck
I’m not doing anything that takes over half a day as I only have time to do add on’s on a Saturday and I only intend doing two Saturdays a month at the most.

Got a fellow windie who will take the bigger jobs off me. I won’t earn a lot out of him, but rather that than work all day on a Saturday. Pub time. Have a good weekend lads/lassies [emoji481][emoji481][emoji106]

I packed in saturdays altogether mate. One couple decided to cancel and go to watch the rugby & another lady wanted to “rearrange” as she booked a weekend away last minute. That was it for me, no more saturdays! Best thing i ever did too, family time is everything. and it gives your body the rest that it deserves

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Clisty1989
16 minutes ago, Incheck said:

I packed in saturdays altogether mate. One couple decided to cancel and go to watch the rugby & another lady wanted to “rearrange” as she booked a weekend away last minute. That was it for me, no more saturdays! Best thing i ever did too, family time is everything. and it gives your body the rest that it deserves

I'm 6 days a week, 8/9-1230/1 with the father in law, then I'll go do my work & add-ons after that (he only helps on bigger jobs or ones where there's awkward ladder work). Any big jobs I see as Sunday jobs, so I add 50% before I even quote. Luckily only get 1 or 2 big jobs a month. Hoping to get my father in law to reshuffle his work so I get Saturday off, and then I'll do big jobs then. Working 7 days a week doesn't bother me, as long as it's not all the time. Need the work ATM, as gonna need a van and upgrade a lot of my tools soon, so any add-ons go in that pot.

Edited by Clisty1989

I like working a Saturday because all my customers seem to be in and have a chat with them and get the money. Only thing is, it takes longer talking to them all.

steve garwood
7 hours ago, Clisty1989 said:

I'm 6 days a week, 8/9-1230/1 with the father in law, then I'll go do my work & add-ons after that (he only helps on bigger jobs or ones where there's awkward ladder work). Any big jobs I see as Sunday jobs, so I add 50% before I even quote. Luckily only get 1 or 2 big jobs a month. Hoping to get my father in law to reshuffle his work so I get Saturday off, and then I'll do big jobs then. Working 7 days a week doesn't bother me, as long as it's not all the time. Need the work ATM, as gonna need a van and upgrade a lot of my tools soon, so any add-ons go in that pot.

Sorry mate, bit pis*ed, but Saturdays and Sundays? Don’t you have a social life?

Nobody will ever, ever look back on their life and say, I wish I’d worked more hours.

One life, one innings, no rehearsals, this is it! Embrace every second!!!!!

Iron Giant

@Clisty1989 fair play to you for grafting hard, I am moving towards just doing windows and having fairly easy with just windows as elbows keep playing up. 

Part Timer
8 hours ago, steve garwood said:

Sorry mate, bit pis*ed, but Saturdays and Sundays? Don’t you have a social life?

Nobody will ever, ever look back on their life and say, I wish I’d worked more hours.

One life, one innings, no rehearsals, this is it! Embrace every second!!!!!

It is much easier to have this life style once you're established. If you have a young family and looking to buy a house then working every hour God sends is a  necessity not a choice. Some people once established still work all hours, as this is what they enjoy. Personally I'm with you but not all folk enjoy drinking on weekends. 

Edited by Part Timer

dmw

I did just over 28 hours on the glass this week, as I've said now I've gone Wfp it saves me 2 hours a day, so this is like part time to me and I'm not missing any work, the main difference is it's been pretty windy here this week and I wouldn't have used the ladder much.
I can normally do Monday-Thursday, now springs on its way I'll start getting asked to do frame cleans, conny roofs etc, so I'll do Fridays for add ons.
I don't like working Saturdays and haven't done one for a year, it steals your weekend and before you know it it's Monday.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Incheck

With saturdays i found that i was constantly tired, and stressed, struggled to get out of bed every day. lack of time to get jobs done at home or spend time with the family, and when the end of the month paperwork arrived ooohh man it was never ending. One week just rolled in to the next. It made me inefficient “that uugghh i know ive got saturday to get that job done so ill finish early today” i tended to drag things out more. A shorter, more intense week has made no difference to income, cramming more in monday - friday, actually making slightly more than over 6 days. and i know i’ve got the weekend to look forward to. An old boss of mine once said “if you’ve got to work saturdays, you’re not charging enough during the week” i wish i’d taken his words on board sooner. I See where he’s coming from now. It is possible to work yourself in to an early grave and theres no fun in that.

steve garwood
7 hours ago, Part Timer said:

It is much easier to have this life style once you're established. If you have a young family and looking to buy a house then working every hour God sends is a  necessity not a choice. Some people once established still work all hours, as this is what they enjoy. Personally I'm with you but not all folk enjoy drinking on weekends. 

If working weekends is a nessesity to pay bills, totally understandable.

If however they are working weekends as that’s all they’ve got to ‘enjoy’, I hope I never meet them as they must be right boring b*stards. Pub time 🍺😝

Part Timer
2 minutes ago, steve garwood said:

If working weekends is a nessesity to pay bills, totally understandable.

If however they are working weekends as that’s all they’ve got to ‘enjoy’, I hope I never meet them as they must be right boring b*stards. Pub time 🍺😝

Won't be long for me either :beerchug:

adamangler

No need to work weekends, got too much other things I'd rather be doing, family, friends, hobbies etc.

If you are that busy you need to be looking at ways to work smarter.

If I worked that much, I'd be constantly knackered, stressed and a miserable barstuard. 

Increase your prices or take someone on. Work hard during the week then give yourself a break. 

Clisty1989
4 minutes ago, adamangler said:

No need to work weekends, got too much other things I'd rather be doing, family, friends, hobbies etc.

If you are that busy you need to be looking at ways to work smarter.

If I worked that much, I'd be constantly knackered, stressed and a miserable barstuard. 

Increase your prices or take someone on. Work hard during the week then give yourself a break. 

My problem is that I work with my father in law, who's books are full between 9 & 12/1 6 days a week and a round that he insists can only be done on a Saturday, with 2 of us, and I work between 12/1 & 3 on my work and I'm at 75% full. His work is 90% trad, im trying to convert him, but it's taking time as he gives them a choice, and is cash only. Then we have to squeeze add-ons in as well. With his work I'm playing the long game as when he retires/stops on the glass I get all the work, and then there will be a huge price rise, total conversion and I'm getting rid of the Saturday work. I think odds are it'll be in the next 2-3 years that he gives up. Also he doesn't work in the rain, so if it's wet and I've cleared my work then that's my days off

Markyboy 50

I’ve probably only worked 3 Saturday’s in 35 years. And certainly never on a sunday!!  Actually I don’t work on a thurs or fri either unless I’ve swapped it for another day. Everyone does it their own way. I don’t need or want a lot of money. I earn all I need in 3 days. As said above..... no one is gonna lay on their death bed wishing they’d worked more hours. 

Markyboy 50

I’ve probably only worked 3 Saturday’s in 35 years. And certainly never on a sunday!!  Actually I don’t work on a thurs or fri either unless I’ve swapped it for another day. Everyone does it their own way. I don’t need or want a lot of money. I earn all I need in 3 days. As said above..... no one is gonna lay on their death bed wishing they’d worked more hours. 

it's simple, just enjoy life and enjoy spending the money you make. Two people in my life died last year, one left £60k and other left seven figures and they wouldn't spend a penny. So, all the relatives will be spending it. I'm investing my cut in my windy business.

Dave B
9 hours ago, dmw said:

I did just over 28 hours on the glass this week, as I've said now I've gone Wfp it saves me 2 hours a day, so this is like part time to me and I'm not missing any work, the main difference is it's been pretty windy here this week and I wouldn't have used the ladder much.
I can normally do Monday-Thursday, now springs on its way I'll start getting asked to do frame cleans, conny roofs etc, so I'll do Fridays for add ons.
I don't like working Saturdays and haven't done one for a year, it steals your weekend and before you know it it's Monday.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Frame cleans??

That is part of cleaning a window wfp 

14 hours ago, Dave B said:

Frame cleans??

benefit of using wfp is that it cleans the frames, good selling point when converting customers.

Dave Shaw
Frame cleans??

Deffo but there are still trad guys that don’t include frames as part of there job as that’s what they’ve been doin for the last 20+ years and customers are happy to pay for a one off frame clean when they are looking a bit grubby. It pains me to see that with all the advice out there, there is still guys not cleaning frames with wfp and giving it a bad name which makes life harder for everyone using it properly to try and convince customers that wfp is the way to go and your not gonna get a better clean using traditional methods although I still do quite a lot of trad myself.

Dave B
2 hours ago, Dave Shaw said:

Deffo but there are still trad guys that don’t include frames as part of there job as that’s what they’ve been doin for the last 20+ years and customers are happy to pay for a one off frame clean when they are looking a bit grubby. It pains me to see that with all the advice out there, there is still guys not cleaning frames with wfp and giving it a bad name which makes life harder for everyone using it properly to try and convince customers that wfp is the way to go and your not gonna get a better clean using traditional methods although I still do quite a lot of trad myself.

I was trad only for 25 years nearly and always cleaned frames

I wouldn't call it a proper job missing frames whatever method i used