Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Organising customers

Christopher Brown

Just want to know something starting a window cleaning company i got everything i need but just want to know how do i organising customers to know what customers to do on a daily basis , as i will be having weekly and bi-weekly customers 

Is there a system out there that will automacally tell me what customers needs done that day and i just print off from a computer or what?

Thanks

Just want to know something starting a window cleaning company i got everything i need but just want to know how do i organising customers to know what customers to do on a daily basis , as i will be having weekly and bi-weekly customers 

Is there a system out there that will automacally tell me what customers needs done that day and i just print off from a computer or what?

Thanks

I guess you may have some people already lined up if so fair play but I would imagine if your doing domestic houses you won't find many if any that want weekly or 2 weekly cleans

I guess you may have some people already lined up if so fair play but I would imagine if your doing domestic houses you won't find many if any that want weekly or 2 weekly cleans
I be doing my focus mainly retail premises. House holds will come maybe later on. Regular work is what i want 

I be doing my focus mainly retail premises. House holds will come maybe later on. Regular work is what i want 
Ok fair play. If you are going to be full time window cleaning you will need a lot of retail premises to make even a living wage. Most will have cleaners already and you can't charge big amounts for shop fronts. The big boys supermarkets etc banks and chains mostly use nation companies often sub contracted out. 

The benefit of residential is there are a hell of a lot more houses in your average town or city than shops. So build a decent round of customers on monthly/6 /8 weekly cleans etc whatever you want and there's a lot more money coming in. The chances of getting a few hundred shops a month in an average town or even the centre of london are remote unless you are buying work off someone retiring for example. 

Theres a a guy I speak to in my town who does most the high street has been for 25 years or more but even he does residential the rest of the day once his early morning shops are done. Good luck with your business I don't mean to sound negative or put you off doing commercial but if you are starting from scratch and have bills to pay my advice would be target both

Ok fair play. If you are going to be full time window cleaning you will need a lot of retail premises to make even a living wage. Most will have cleaners already and you can't charge big amounts for shop fronts. The big boys supermarkets etc banks and chains mostly use nation companies often sub contracted out. 

The benefit of residential is there are a hell of a lot more houses in your average town or city than shops. So build a decent round of customers on monthly/6 /8 weekly cleans etc whatever you want and there's a lot more money coming in. The chances of getting a few hundred shops a month in an average town or even the centre of london are remote unless you are buying work off someone retiring for example. 

Theres a a guy I speak to in my town who does most the high street has been for 25 years or more but even he does residential the rest of the day once his early morning shops are done. Good luck with your business I don't mean to sound negative or put you off doing commercial but if you are starting from scratch and have bills to pay my advice would be target both
I will keep that in mind thanks, yeah im starting from scratch i adverage 50 shop premises a day over a 5 day period that will be 250 customers a wk. I plan on making this work but until its gets to that amount of customers i will continue with my crappy zero hr contract as a FLT operator night shift as i finish at 6 am sometimes 2am in tge morning i Will be doing window cleaning from 7am to 1 pm. I have already overdrawn in my account for this business. So i will stick with it. 

Your definitely coming into a very lucrative business if you are happy to put the hours in. If you need cash though mate fastest way is houses then pick up retail units as extras. It would be really almost impossible to find 250 shops in 1 area that all need a window cleaner and pay well and all want it on the weekly. Hope whatever route you go down it works out

The problem with shops and commercial work is it is very cuthroat out there and a lot of areas are all sewn up with long term window cleaners

Those that aren't usually will just go with whoever is cheapest and you get no loyalty

Houses are easier to build up work and gradually phase them out once you get the work you want

I used to do whole days doing shops on the Edgware road in london back in the day but would struggle to get a handfull of jobs on the same stretch nowadays

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at commercial, went into hundreds of shops, got 3 hairdressers, a cake shop, clothes shop and launderette. Used to be the money's in commercial, now its in residential unless you get some huge jobs and can tie them into year/2 year contracts. It's a lot easier to get £100 worth of residential (8-10 on average pw) a week compared to £100 a week (10-20 pw) on commercial. As said before big shops have national companies, one I know of has all the contracts in UK for KFC, poundland, Toby carvery & tescos. That's just one company. Only luck you may have is the independent shops, as they have a choice, but most of them will be taken. 

Back