Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Why UPVC Doors are so profitable

Green Pro Clean Ltd

One of the add on services we provide to our clients is our 'Door Restore' service.   This is a great add on for any window cleaner as most houses have 2 doors and at £40+ per door the R.O.I. (return on investment) is staggering.  

For this you will need: 

• Bucket
  • Soap (Fairy, Flash all purpose or similar) 
  • Green Scouring Sponges
  • Microfiber Rags
  • Unger Rubout
  • Loads of elbow grease

I'll let the video do the rest of the talking but the principles are the same for a UPVC window frame restoration. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video. Just to add to it, I quite often find stickers on the doors also. I personally use something called “goo gone” its a yellow liquid that can be found on amazon/ebay. Its a good compliment to have in your kit. Good for removing egg as well which can be a real swine to get rid of, and also the plastic suction plungers that hairdressers use to stick posters up with on the interior panes of their shop windows.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Isn’t that a good thing?
emoji6.png

Not in that fashion mate. She'd of battered them and served them back to me for supper as sweet n sour chicken balls! ?

Does using the green scouring pad side of the sponge not scratch the pvc? Only reason I ask is cause I used a green scourer on my own front door a while back and when the sun hits it I can some a lot of scratches which wernt there before Id cleaned it. I used CIF at the time so not sure wether that may have caused the scratches?

Does using the green scouring pad side of the sponge not scratch the pvc? Only reason I ask is cause I used a green scourer on my own front door a while back and when the sun hits it I can some a lot of scratches which wernt there before Id cleaned it. I used CIF at the time so not sure wether that may have caused the scratches?

Certain variants of CIF UPVC cleaner have/had tiny plastic beads in them (like some shower gels) that “may” have scratched the door if you used this particular brand. i believe products of this nature have very recently been banned and no longer have a place on the shelves as the plastic ends up in the oceans

Certain variants of CIF UPVC cleaner have/had tiny plastic beads in them (like some shower gels) that “may” have scratched the door if you used this particular brand. i believe products of this nature have very recently been banned and no longer have a place on the shelves as the plastic ends up in the oceans

Very interesting. I didnt know that. It was the original variant. I wont be using it again. Thanks for the heads up. Iv not tried the unger rub out but will give it a go and try on my back door with the green scourer. Then il know for sure. Cheers mate [emoji1360]

The original variant (yellow bottle) is fine i believe. But it stinks and is generally unpleasant on the hands especially if you haven’t got gloves on. Rub out is a bit more forgiving and better stuff. As for the green scourers, never tried it on pvc as i always use either a magic sponge or a microfibre cloth. It does have an abrasive edge as do many things? If we want to get things clean there must be a certain amount of abrasion used i guess. + as has been mentioned earlier in a post regarding glass, how do we know that we are not simply washing dirt out of existing scratches, therefore revealing them. I think we are both in the same mind that we are referring to a “professors eye glass” situation here (minor scratches normally not visible to the eye) unless in direct sunlight.
You’ll be surprised how bashed about these things get before & during installation (warehouse storage, transportation, fitters who are working on price per unit therefore wanting to get it fitted asap rather than taking care and consideration) and the general exposure to the elements. Look at any item hard enough & there will be minor imperfections you know...
I did once use a green scourer to clean a stain off a carpet (what possessed me to do this i don’t know) as the green dye from the scourer came off and stained the carpet just as bad. Amateur carpet cleaning at it’s best [emoji51]

The original variant (yellow bottle) is fine i believe. But it stinks and is generally unpleasant on the hands especially if you haven’t got gloves on. Rub out is a bit more forgiving and better stuff. As for the green scourers, never tried it on pvc as i always use either a magic sponge or a microfibre cloth. It does have an abrasive edge as do many things? If we want to get things clean there must be a certain amount of abrasion used i guess. + as has been mentioned earlier in a post regarding glass, how do we know that we are not simply washing dirt out of existing scratches, therefore revealing them. I think we are both in the same mind that we are referring to a “professors eye glass” situation here (minor scratches normally not visible to the eye) unless in direct sunlight.
You’ll be surprised how bashed about these things get before & during installation (warehouse storage, transportation, fitters who are working on price per unit therefore wanting to get it fitted asap rather than taking care and consideration) and the general exposure to the elements. Look at any item hard enough & there will be minor imperfections you know...
I did once use a green scourer to clean a stain off a carpet (what possessed me to do this i don’t know) as the green dye from the scourer came off and stained the carpet just as bad. Amateur carpet cleaning at it’s best [emoji51]

Haha the carpet cleaning story cracked me up [emoji1360] yes i see what you mean and probably very true. I tried the magic sponges bit were a pain as they constanly broke into tiny little bits, used around 2-3 magic sponges per window, with microfiber it was fine but needed a lot more graft. I will give the rub out and scourer a go over the weekend to see what the outcome is like

Haha the carpet cleaning story cracked me up [emoji1360] yes i see what you mean and probably very true. I tried the magic sponges bit were a pain as they constanly broke into tiny little bits, used around 2-3 magic sponges per window, with microfiber it was fine but needed a lot more graft. I will give the rub out and scourer a go over the weekend to see what the outcome is like

Yeah the magic sponges dissipate in to nothing, but they get the job done, and at 8 pence each you can’t go wrong. I bulk buy them in packs of 100 off ebay. They’re crude but effective in large numbers. Microfibres are very good with rub out particularly on the “lip” of the sill which is often where the worst staining is. You need biceps like pop-eye mind, and there is the chance you’ll scrub so hard the sill could fall off if you put too much weight on it. I’ve taken the chance once or twice!

Yeah the magic sponges dissipate in to nothing, but they get the job done, and at 8 pence each you can’t go wrong. I bulk buy them in packs of 100 off ebay. They’re crude but effective in large numbers. Microfibres are very good with rub out particularly on the “lip” of the sill which is often where the worst staining is. You need biceps like pop-eye mind, and there is the chance you’ll scrub so hard the sill could fall off if you put too much weight on it. I’ve taken the chance once or twice!

I hadnt thought of ebay. I was buying boxes of 6 or 9 for i think around £5 from homebase, cant remember exactly as it was about a year ago. If theyre only 8p each theyre worth a go. I will have a look on there for some now. Nice one. Definately havent got the arms so i need whatever is the shortcut to least amount of scrubbing

I hadnt thought of ebay. I was buying boxes of 6 or 9 for i think around £5 from homebase, cant remember exactly as it was about a year ago. If theyre only 8p each theyre worth a go. I will have a look on there for some now. Nice one. Definately havent got the arms so i need whatever is the shortcut to least amount of scrubbing

Oh yeah never buy them from the stores man, your profit is going to them then! I know you can buy them at £1.50 each or £3 for 2 in some superstores. It’s throwing money away.
This is why the online market is such a threat to the high streets.

From my experience, the magic sponge and some unger rubout does a good job but they just don’t last long enough.  I have found that the green scourer is a little too course and has scratched sills in the past. I prefer to use the small sponges with the white scourer on the reverse, gets the job done and last a reasonable amount of time. Gardiners sell big thick white scrubbing pads that attach to one of their swivel pad attachments. I also buy these and cut them into smaller pieces and these seem to do a good job with some unger rubout. 

Yes it does and then when it gets dirty again it gives the dirt more groves to get into , years ago before wfp I did gutters and facias like this and now realise the damage I did . If you use the green scowerers and then use something like tee cut it will remove the scratches to a degree , I was talking to a guy from Anglian the other week about this very topic and he said that they us3 a solvent based cleaner that removes all scuff marks with out scratches, I use ciff cleaner but that will cause scratches evan if applied with a micro fibre cloth but generaly don’t do restoration work , if there is just a few marks I squirt ciff on the door and rub with wfp then rinse and it generaly comes up ok 

Solvent based cleaner will be PVC cleaner which is sold where one buys the PVC stuff. I used to fit PVC around houses and the cleaner is great. It works like t-cut and seems to lift a layer off the PVC, well worth having a bottle in your van. I'm going to try it out on rust marks to see if it works.

Back