Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Smoke stains

markg

Hi, I've got Conny clean lined up for next week. The inside is fairly smoke stained. I have a vikan easy shine which I'll use, and was planning to use no nonsense degreaser, but what is your go to chemical to remove smoke stains. Also do you have a preferred method other than spray and rub. Cheers

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Sugar soap or degreaser, cut through nicotine stains quite well. Also lots of gloves, a mask etc as if the stuff gets into your skin you'll be ill for days.

Thanks@clisty1989 I have the Screwfix degreaser do you think that will be good enough for smoke stains, they've been been there a few years

Should do, mix at 10:1, spray on leave for 10 mins then agitate (i suggest an old applicator sleeve and a trad pole, washing sleeve out regular. Repeat if needed them clean normally. Hope you've price well, if say at least 2 hours work on the inside only

Should do, mix at 10:1, spray on leave for 10 mins then agitate (i suggest an old applicator sleeve and a trad pole, washing sleeve out regular. Repeat if needed them clean normally. Hope you've price well, if say at least 2 hours work on the inside only
Thanks @clisty1989. I'm hoping the vikan easy shine will make it quicker and less messy. Either way I'm charging for a full day.

I did a conservatory like that several years ago came up well using cream cleaner and Virosol but would never do another one as the water ran up my arms on my skin and I stunk of fags for a week or more couldn’t get rid of the smell or the yellow staining looked like an umpa lumpa !!!! ???

Hi, I've got Conny clean lined up for next week. The inside is fairly smoke stained. I have a vikan easy shine which I'll use, and was planning to use no nonsense degreaser, but what is your go to chemical to remove smoke stains. Also do you have a preferred method other than spray and rub. Cheers

I have the vikan easyshine it works well but pads that you get with it are only good for maintenance clean and have no scrubbing power and you need lots of them as they get soiled real quick, I also have the unger pads including their scrub pad which are just the same, the one pad I have used and as far superior scrubbing power are these streamline pads see link below clean with them first then use the glass pads supplied with your kit to clean the glass after, 

https://waterfedpole.com/internal-cleaning-equipment/microfibre-pads/microfibre-scrub-mop-30cm.html

one other thing it best to have 2 setup one with  scrub pads and the other with glass pad as this saves constantly changing pads can use gardiner doodlebug padholder for another pole or buy the gardiner internal kit and their double gooseneck with doodlebug that way you can both pads on one pole. 

Back