Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting from scratch

Pit Creature

So I’m going to start up a round in North Tyneside. I’ve got a full time 9-5 job at the moment and won’t be able to give it up until I can replace my earnings.

I’m thinking of starting off on Saturdays until I can pick up more work and then maybe go part time and then transition to full time.

I’m looking out for rounds for sale but there’s nothing around me at the moment.

Has anyone got any advice about building up a customer base from scratch?

Easiest way is to knock doors. Go out on an evening or a Saturday (I personally don't go on a Sunday any more, but when I was starting I did) and spend a solid 4-5 hours knocking doors. It's tiring but the quickest and simplest way to do it. Get some flyers made up as well, and any no's, just give them a flyer and say "if you ever change your mind give us a call". No point posting them as the return will be so small. Also get on Facebook posting on the sale groups near you, just be aware of the rules they may have. It's hard to get going but well worth it, as they say you get out what you put in.

Easiest way is to knock doors. Go out on an evening or a Saturday (I personally don't go on a Sunday any more, but when I was starting I did) and spend a solid 4-5 hours knocking doors. It's tiring but the quickest and simplest way to do it. Get some flyers made up as well, and any no's, just give them a flyer and say "if you ever change your mind give us a call". No point posting them as the return will be so small. Also get on Facebook posting on the sale groups near you, just be aware of the rules they may have. It's hard to get going but well worth it, as they say you get out what you put in.
Sounds like good advice. Cheers. Did you ever feel like a pest knocking on doors or were people okay about it? How many customers would you manage to get from 4/5 hours worth on average?

First few doors, but you soon get over it, especially after your first yes. As for how many, it varies a lot. One day you can get 10, next day 3, then none for a day or 2, it depends on a lots of different things, from if a windys in the area, to the weather at the time (brighter it is the dirtier they look), and even your mood (more nos if your feeling down and more yes's if you in a good mood)

Get a polo shirt or hat made with your logo on it

Leaflets - knock doors and give interested people one, post one through if theyre out,

Get a google my business page, and join every free business listing site possible

Ive found one off cleans, conservatories, UPVC the easiest jobs to get so make sure your set up for that.  Most people who want a window cleaner already have one...

If you can face it, contact a networking group like BNI.  You get a few meetings free so can push your business to 50 people in one go

Goodluck and keep trying!! 

Get a polo shirt or hat made with your logo on it

Leaflets - knock doors and give interested people one, post one through if theyre out,

Get a google my business page, and join every free business listing site possible

Ive found one off cleans, conservatories, UPVC the easiest jobs to get so make sure your set up for that.  Most people who want a window cleaner already have one...

If you can face it, contact a networking group like BNI.  You get a few meetings free so can push your business to 50 people in one go

Goodluck and keep trying!! 
Cheers. I’ve never even heard of BNI groups. What are they about?

Lots of members of local business who meet once a week to promote their business and support each other.  There's not usually a window cleaner on board so you get a chance of whatever work they have going or know about.  They're all keen to support the bni concept so it gets you a chance.

It's a bit nerve wracking as you have to stand up in front of everyone and sell yourself and business though???

Lots of members of local business who meet once a week to promote their business and support each other.  There's not usually a window cleaner on board so you get a chance of whatever work they have going or know about.  They're all keen to support the bni concept so it gets you a chance.

It's a bit nerve wracking as you have to stand up in front of everyone and sell yourself and business though???
Interesting! Not a bad idea though. There’s one just around the corner from me apparently. 

ive been a guest / subbed for an existing member 4 times.  I got 6 one off jobs and 2 regular customers.  I also met several local tradespeople and business persons who have become good contacts.

As i say its a bit nerve wracking as you will need to talk about your business for about a minute in front of 60 suits youve never met lol.

If you go, make sure you pitch to the venue too!!

Back