Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Vechile

I haven't got enough money to buy a van at the moment so wondering if I can do WFP from a small car (Clio)

If so how many 25ltr barrels will it take, I will probably remove back seats all together as it will be a work car only.

Also can I insure it through business insurance so I'm insured for work? And then transfer to a van at a later stage ?

Thanks

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Sure, it will work. Many, myself included, started out from a car.

You can probably put in a whole lot of barrels, but don't overload it as it's not built for that kind of weight. I had a 200l drum in mine a little while, and it was stupid and probably damaged the car. Generally speaking, working from your car is very, very rough on it. You'll spill water everywhere, skratch and ding it, etc. etc.

Yeh I had 7 25L barrels in the back of my Peugeot 206. And then I put two Gardiner back packs in the passenger foot well. That allowed me 205Ls of water. I was slow back then so water would last a 7&half hour day. 

Not to scare you off the idea, but we had 12 x 25 l barrels in a citreon berlingo van and it could barely handle it. The van creaked and moaned like a 19th century sailing boat in high seas. (It had had 6 previous owners and had never been looked after) so not much more than a shed on wheels. But learning from that experience i would never have another small van again, certainly not a citreon, and wouldn’t dare try a car [emoji102]

If you can, save up a while and invest in a ford transit. Those vans are the backbone of the economy when it comes to trade work.

Even second hand they’ll probably still have a lot of life left on them, they’ve been known to clock over a million miles if well maintained.

My mates had his well over 20 years, still going strong. Like us he doesn’t do much mileage but still, they see out generations

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I reckon a clio would be on the floor, I wouldn't recommend folding down or removing the seats in the event of an accident it would be a mess 25kg of water x 4 is going to do some serious damage, If you are stuck with your car for now simply put 2 in each rear footwell and 2-3 in the boot with the backpack, Just check what your legal payload is and inform your insurance of your intentions before you go ahead,  I worked out of a car with a PF trolley for a few years but I had a car with a high driving position as it was all wheel drive motor with greater ground clearance 

Back