Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Gasket

Winter wear

Iron Giant

It doesn't get all the cold to be wearing all out thermals otherwise you will be sweating cobs, I picked up a synthetic thermal top from Aldi which is great and breathable, don't be tempted to buy a merino thermal top otherwise you will sweat. In recent years I have worn a thermal top a thin waffle sports top and a padded lightweight work jacket this year got a new Goodyear softshell jacket which is quite thick so I know I will be warm enough on top. 

As for work trousers typically I wear shorts unless it's really cold and I get soft then just wear some narrow leg work trousers, I have heard off lads wearing snowboarding trousers or similar, no point as they aren't needed and too padded and to warm for work, As for decent gloves it's like searching for the Holy Grail  to find a decent durable waterproof and warm pair that don't leave your hands smelling like a dead rat, It has been +10c this week with a cold wind at times and I have had winter gloves on because of nerve damage which means my hands get cold fast 

THL4KEL

Aldi I noticed the other day had waterproof cycling gloves with grips on them. Might give them ago.

Advertisement

Jango

I bought those gloves last year, they slide on the pole hose and I found them no good, to stop the univalve. Those black gloves with a thin lining in are very good, they don't last a long time, but I find them the best, someone will come along and advise the make.

i wear craghopper walking trousers with lining in. 

I love merino wool vest, cosy & warm, I find I don't sweat in them. Each to their own. 

Good warm boots main thing. 

Incheck

For me thermals are a must between november & march, as is a hat & scarf. A decent rain jacket and waterproof trousers you can throw on quickly over your work trousers help too (hi vis are good as other drivers can see you)
Ive never bothered with gloves as i find they get it the way of everyday tasks. If its sub zero we dont go out anyway as I’ve had cases of water freezing and also the roads just aren’t worth the risk for me

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

BigFoot

On top I have a go to military wool jumper I use a walking shirt under it as it’s itchy a neck tube that kills the draft and will sometimes put a quality fleece on top when it’s Baltic or gortex if it’s wet. Aldi thermal work trousers are good value and do the job gortex boots and am trying these gloves this winter on advice from a thread last year on here. See pic

97F69539-7645-4633-9347-C3D86679F196.png

RWCleaning

Everyone has dinfferent ideas. Personally when it’s a very cold week (1 degree when I start at 10am and only getting up to 3/4 degrees max) I wear 2 T-shirt’s, a work sweater/jumper, then my work hoody on top. I personally find that’s enough. As we’re constantly moving and getting in the van every 30 mins give or take. 

Then on my legs I wear long johns with thin water proofs over the top. Very important not to get wet when it’s cold. You’ll never dry. And ski/long thermal socks with a water proof pair of walking boots.

I find that outfit for me is the best. I don’t feel weighed down. Below the waist I’m water proof.

*oh I find a scarf around the next inside the hoody makes a lot of difference. Something small but important (the scarf that is) I do bring a hat & gloves but I try not to wear them.  

Obviously a the matching water proof jacket if it’s rainunh but I’d always try to avoid working in 1/2 degree rain. 

Gasket

Any recommendations on a good warm jacket.... my body warmer I’ve had for 10 years is in the way out. Might visit an outdoor shop

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

scottish cleaning service
2 hours ago, Jango said:

I bought those gloves last year, they slide on the pole hose and I found them no good, to stop the univalve. Those black gloves with a thin lining in are very good, they don't last a long time, but I find them the best, someone will come along and advise the make.

i wear craghopper walking trousers with lining in. 

I love merino wool vest, cosy & warm, I find I don't sweat in them. Each to their own. 

Good warm boots main thing. 

I think Aldi make good thermal black gloves like the ones that Screwfix used to sell. Skytec Argon Gloves great for feel and a must for all window cleaners, cheap as chips.

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/304402_size7.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhpTaqrzs3QIVaLXtCh3c3wPMEAYYASABEgIQsPD_BwE

Advertisement

Iron Giant
Yes that's them Argon. Great
Your hands end up smelling like a dead rat, gotta love em [emoji23]

County Durham Lad

trevor peacock

sealskinz waterproof gloves, after 13 years on the poles found these last year, brilliant!!

hands toasty, no sweaty smelly problem and water proof, well worth the money, tax deductable too!!

Dave Shaw
sealskinz waterproof gloves, after 13 years on the poles found these last year, brilliant!!
hands toasty, no sweaty smelly problem and water proof, well worth the money, tax deductable too!!

Same here. Been through loads of different gloves and they are by far the best both on the pole or for traditional cleaning. I also use their socks.

Dave B

Showa 377 

Sealskinz fall apart way to quick for me

Only about 4 quid a pair so disposable after a few weeks

Keeps hands warm enough 

Edited by Dave B

Gerry Scrimshaw

Use a Snood instead of a scarf. Scarves tend to unwind and let cold air in. Snoods are like a one piece tube. Any outdoor retailer has them.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

scottish cleaning service
3 hours ago, trevor peacock said:

Are they £40 a pair? Think I have a pair of those.

Dave Shaw

Are they £40 a pair? Think I have a pair of those.

I pay about £25 a pair and usually get about 3 year out of them but only use them for an hour or so on very cold mornings to take the edge off. As Dave B says they don’t last that long with constant use, especially on the ladder but you can’t put a price on your health.

Iron Giant
22 hours ago, Gasket said:

Any recommendations on a good warm jacket.... my body warmer I’ve had for 10 years is in the way out. Might visit an outdoor shop

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Proper outdoor jackets are great, But they ain't a work jacket unless you get them branded with your logo, far better going to a really decent workwear place.

Advertisement

ks789

To be honest I end up sweating even in the coldest weather. It seems to be such a good workout I dont use any winter weather gear. I do tend to go fast, prob have a heart attack more than hypothermia 😆

RWCleaning

Two pairs of underpants is the secret 

Dave Shaw

Is that to keep you warm or just incase you have an accident?[emoji23][emoji23]

Is that to keep you warm or just incase you have an accident?[emoji23][emoji23]

chris clean

I have found good warm boots and socks and a hat is the main thing. Once u are working at a good pace you warm up. Even when real cold last year I had trousers and a couple of t-shirts under a hoodie and was fine. 

goode26

Keep working and you won't get cold lol... Been trad 12 years. Work boots 2 pairs of socks. Work trousers.. t shirt jumper hoody job done and some cheap £1 gloves... If they last me 5 days it's 20p a day lol

Diamond geezer

I like to put on a boiler suit over normal clothing rather than thermals their to tight

Advertisement

vito61

May I suggest a sensible, lightweight tweed ensemble.  The Deerstalker is a lovely option for the winter months especially with the flaps that can cover vulnerable ears.

Hunter Wellingtons are ok, but some might find ones feet ponging a bit come the end of the day.  Apparently, good thick Argylle socks help......

steve garwood
4 hours ago, vito61 said:

May I suggest a sensible, lightweight tweed ensemble.  The Deerstalker is a lovely option for the winter months especially with the flaps that can cover vulnerable ears.

Hunter Wellingtons are ok, but some might find ones feet ponging a bit come the end of the day.  Apparently, good thick Argylle socks help......

Wow, you’re the poshest windie this forum has ever had 😁

vito61
2 minutes ago, steve garwood said:

Wow, you’re the poshest windie this forum has ever had 😁

One does have to maintain standards, doesn't one?

Sam Hodgson

mike007

Just bought a cheapish sleeveless body warmer from peacocks to cope, already got wooly hats and gloves, by time first house is done your up to temperature.