Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

JM WINDOW CLEANING

How many of you work alone and do you prefer it that way ?

JM WINDOW CLEANING

I’ve been cleaning windows trad for a small amount of customers now who are mainly friends and family. I do this around my full time job as I work on a shift pattern. Around where I live I mainly see small groups of 2-3 window cleaners working together. I got talking to a couple of lads cleaning windows last week and they said they’d never work alone and asked me how I foot my ladder. I explained that I use a ladder m8rix but they seemed shocked that I do it alone. When I explained I only do a small number of houses every 3 weeks they said if I wanted to go at it full time I’d need another cleaner. I was just just wondering what people’s opinions were on this. As I understand it most of you guys work alone ? 

Incheck
I’ve been cleaning windows trad for a small amount of customers now who are mainly friends and family. I do this around my full time job as I work on a shift pattern. Around where I live I mainly see small groups of 2-3 window cleaners working together. I got talking to a couple of lads cleaning windows last week and they said they’d never work alone and asked me how I foot my ladder. I explained that I use a ladder m8rix but they seemed shocked that I do it alone. When I explained I only do a small number of houses every 3 weeks they said if I wanted to go at it full time I’d need another cleaner. I was just just wondering what people’s opinions were on this. As I understand it most of you guys work alone ? 

Yeah most people work alone, i work as a pair, it certainly helps when it comes to ladder work, also big add on jobs get boxed off quickly. And the company is great! Working alone can be a bit demoralizing at times.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

mike007

Am a one man band, and like it, had a mate helping for a week when he was between jobs,was ok and he was a mate so didn,t t*** it o** when helping. When you see two windies working together they probably operate as a pair,sharing everything equally, so not a boss and employee.

Advertisement

JM WINDOW CLEANING
4 minutes ago, Incheck said:

Yeah most people work alone, i work as a pair, it certainly helps when it comes to ladder work, also big add on jobs get boxed off quickly. And the company is great! Working alone can be a bit demoralizing at times.

I agree working alone can be demoralising. However, it seems the most logical if I were to start trying to build up more work with a view to going full time. Do most trad guys have a backpack or trolley for awkward windows ? These guys said if it was too awkward they just wouldn’t clean it. I think cleaning windows is an ideal business because of the fact you can do it alone and build up a customer base off your own back.

JM WINDOW CLEANING
1 minute ago, mike007 said:

Am a one man band, and like it, had a mate helping for a week when he was between jobs,was ok and he was a mate so didn,t t*** it o** when helping. When you see two windies working together they probably operate as a pair,sharing everything equally, so not a boss and employee.

I’m pleased to hear you like it because I don’t think I’d have a problem working on my own on a full time basis. As long as it pays, do you ever have to miss customers due to the weather or do you always catch up with what work you have missed ? How often do you get behind due to the wind or rain etc ? 

Incheck
I agree working alone can be demoralising. However, it seems the most logical if I were to start trying to build up more work with a view to going full time. Do most trad guys have a backpack or trolley for awkward windows ? These guys said if it was too awkward they just wouldn’t clean it. I think cleaning windows is an ideal business because of the fact you can do it alone and build up a customer base off your own back.

Yeah its entirely possible loads of people work alone, as do i if my brother is unwell. On the occasion i’ll drop him off on a pressure washing job while i do a window cleaning round, but usually its just more convenient to work together and youve got the extra pair of hands for lifting, footing, etc etc. you can afford to have a bacon bagel/little break without constantly worrying about the clock as the other is still working. Having someone to pass you items (hoses, drain rods, cordless drills, help move gutter vac about, untangling leads, assistance pulling downpipes off walls and footing ladders on dodgey ground etc, really makes those jobs easier rather than constantly coming up & down the ladder.

Even wfp guys wont clean some windows that are fitted in ridiculous places. Just let the customer know.

Iron Giant

I have worked on my own for over 18 years now, first 10 years or so trad then wfp, Some lads just can't work on their own, I enjoy my own company and thoughts.

County Durham Lad

Edited by Iron Giant

JM WINDOW CLEANING
26 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

I have worked on my own for over 18 years now first 10 years or so trad then wfp, Something lads just can't work on their own and enjoy my own company and thoughts.

County Durham Lad

Are you happy with what you earn ? Did you build up your round yourself or buy it or a bit of both ?

Iron Giant

Built it all, almost 100% refined compact rounds and earning  well

County Durham Lad

Edited by Iron Giant
spelling

Dave Shaw

I’ve done a small stint on my own but mostly as a pair, as an employee, a business partner and now with an employee. If your cleaning traditionally then working as a pair is better for safety aspects as someone else has mentioned but overall I’d say it’s down to personal preference. I found it gets boring on your own. You can’t beat a bit of workplace banter to get you through the day.

Big sul

I'm happy on my own!
A extra pair of hands would be nice but not worth the hassle or money.
I make a good amount of money and if I did want a day off I could at the drop of a hat without anyone else to worry about.
I also like my own company!![emoji16][emoji106]

Advertisement

goode26

Been there done that. Had staff now been solo for 2 years and love it won't ever do staff again.. I no some people who only do £200/300 with 2 people I do that on my own.. so yeah you get work done quicker but losing money.

JM WINDOW CLEANING
35 minutes ago, goode26 said:

Been there done that. Had staff now been solo for 2 years and love it won't ever do staff again.. I no some people who only do £200/300 with 2 people I do that on my own.. so yeah you get work done quicker but losing money.

Is that £200/£300 per week ? 

scottish cleaning service

Probably a day. I got 2 new customers last Saturday because the other windy disappeared. He appears every 3 months and the customers are fed up with him. They don't know what happens to him but if he keeps it up, he will lose all his customers. I just work alone but talk to all my customers that's why it takes me so long. Reliability is the name of the game. :1f609: 

Part Timer
20 minutes ago, JM WINDOW CLEANING said:

Is that £200/£300 per week ? 

That will be daily, not something easily achievable in the NE 

Hard to make over £200 a day up here also. I did a house on Saturday, 4 small windows, 1 bay window with 3 small windows and pvc door and took a fiver. The other guy who let them down took £4.50, I thought no wonder he never came back. The downstairs asked me to do hers for a fiver and it took me five minutes. Upstairs windows take twice as long for same price. :1f633:

Iron Giant

I now charge £7.00 as a minimum on new work, so I currently still have some longterm jobs just to fronts for a fiver which will be increased overtime, but ideally even in the North East of England you want your job average to be £10.00 a job

County Durham Lad

Advertisement

Dave Shaw
Hard to make over £200 a day up here also. I did a house on Saturday, 4 small windows, 1 bay window with 3 small windows and pvc door and took a fiver. The other guy who let them down took £4.50, I thought no wonder he never came back. The downstairs asked me to do hers for a fiver and it took me five minutes. Upstairs windows take twice as long for same price. :1f633:

You have to have the right work also. I was doin £25 per hour easily around 10/15 years back cleaning 3 bed semis for £4.50. That was 100% traditional as well.

3 minutes ago, Dave Shaw said:

You have to have the right work also. I was doin £25 per hour easily around 10/15 years back cleaning 3 bed semis for £4.50. That was 100% traditional as well.

Even a fiver is tough but they don't expect their pvc door cleaned nor the frames, so you can rush round them. Problem I have is I like to leave it all clean but takes more time. They are council houses so they are happy with the glass.

rugbywolf

It's a funny thing, some people can't work on their own, they have to have somebody else with them. I'm the opposite and like to be on my own. Years ago when I had too much work I took on a lad, and he worked for me for about three years. Of course, I was employing him, not working with him, but I found it very difficult having to organise someone else's work-load as well as your own. After he left and I was back on my own, I sold off a lot of work and have been one-man op since, and much happier too. I had a friend who worked for a window cleaner, and he  bought four weeks of work from his boss so that he could go it alone. he lasted two weeks and sold it back as he said he couldn't cope with it.

THL4KEL

I work alone now.

Used to work for big companies some were good places to work some bad.

Some nice people some were not very nice.

I just get the job done these days and focus on why I am there - number one to make cash and to do a good job so it leads to more work.

I have a chat with the odd customer.

Suhrly
3 hours ago, Part Timer said:

That will be daily, not something easily achievable in the NE 

In your experience Part Timer what would you consider to be a decent amount for a day's work up here in the NE?

I worked with my business partner for 4 years. Been on my own now for 7 months (we spilt the business). Was weird at first but now prefer it on my own as I can 100% please myself when and how I work. Plus he could be a right moody ****** at times and it used to p*ss me right off so...all good and I enjoy my own company anyway.

Part Timer
23 minutes ago, Suhrly said:

In your experience Part Timer what would you consider to be a decent amount for a day's work up here in the NE?

I worked with my business partner for 4 years. Been on my own now for 7 months (we spilt the business). Was weird at first but now prefer it on my own as I can 100% please myself when and how I work. Plus he could be a right moody ****** at times and it used to p*ss me right off so...all good and I enjoy my own company anyway.

I mainly do commercial because residential doesn't pay as much. I also travel country wide to take the pressure off getting jobs up here. 

I have a minimum price of £10, and to be fair, don't chase residential work. Half the enquiries I get end abruptly when I say I have a £10 min charge. I will admit that I now get more people accepting my price. 

To answer your question, to get a large residential round in Sunderland, up and running quickly you would probably have to pitch around £7 a house. So you would struggle to gross much more than £700 a week. You're the experienced residential windie, what's your take on it. 

Advertisement

Iron Giant
10 hours ago, Dave Shaw said:

You're only charging £6.50 now aren't you 🤐😜

Edited by Iron Giant

mike007
15 hours ago, JM WINDOW CLEANING said:

I’m pleased to hear you like it because I don’t think I’d have a problem working on my own on a full time basis. As long as it pays, do you ever have to miss customers due to the weather or do you always catch up with what work you have missed ? How often do you get behind due to the wind or rain etc ? 

If weather is bad and you cannot do the windows,case of catching up,(lot of customers do not expect/want their windows cleaned if it is bucketing down)and so know your normal due date is therefore flexible. But you have to be as regular as possible,the customer expects that.

I also now use packpack for upstairs windows(safer for a one man band)) but still Trad downstairs, so customer sees you are doing what they expect from a window cleaner.

Dave Shaw

You're only charging £6.50 now aren't you [emoji850][emoji12]

Yes mate. My prices for 3 bed semis range from £5.50 to £15 depending on location, access and add ons like porches and connys. I will say some of my older work prices are shy of today’s goin rates due to the fact I took over the round just over five years ago and they have never been put up much since the 90’s. The thing is with it being nearly 40 years established its ultra compact and getting a good hourly rate by today’s standards is easily achievable. I could have just whacked all the prices right up when I first took over and probs lost half of em and killed the round. Fair dos I would be earning the same for less houses but would end up using the spare time created by driving round. Probs wouldn’t have even called it a round anymore. Instead I’m taking the slowly slowly approach and whilst it’s taking a while to get the prices to where I want I’m keeping the compactness in tact losing hardly any on each rise. Even if it takes ten years to get them up to speed I’m still earning well in the mean time and when it’s done I’ll have the best of both, compact and well priced. In this day and age you could canvass and build for 100 years and would never get a round that good in terms compactness. Take this week for instance, I’ve got 5 days for two of us that I can walk around bar a few runabouts. Back in the trad days the van would get parked in mornin and then you wouldn’t need it apart from refreshing your cloths,water etc and to have your dinner.

mike007
12 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Probably a day. I got 2 new customers last Saturday because the other windy disappeared. He appears every 3 months and the customers are fed up with him. They don't know what happens to him but if he keeps it up, he will lose all his customers. I just work alone but talk to all my customers that's why it takes me so long. Reliability is the name of the game. :1f609: 

I got 2 new customers last month done two cleans on each since,they dropped the other Windie because he turned up spasmodically and did a slapdash job.

Edited by mike007
refined text

1 hour ago, mike007 said:

I got 2 new customers last month done two cleans on each since,they dropped the other Windie because he turned up spasmodically and did a slapdash job.

Aye, reliability is the name of the game and customers will even pay more.