Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How many of you work alone and do you prefer it that way ?

I’ve been cleaning windows trad for a small amount of customers now who are mainly friends and family. I do this around my full time job as I work on a shift pattern. Around where I live I mainly see small groups of 2-3 window cleaners working together. I got talking to a couple of lads cleaning windows last week and they said they’d never work alone and asked me how I foot my ladder. I explained that I use a ladder m8rix but they seemed shocked that I do it alone. When I explained I only do a small number of houses every 3 weeks they said if I wanted to go at it full time I’d need another cleaner. I was just just wondering what people’s opinions were on this. As I understand it most of you guys work alone ? 

I’ve been cleaning windows trad for a small amount of customers now who are mainly friends and family. I do this around my full time job as I work on a shift pattern. Around where I live I mainly see small groups of 2-3 window cleaners working together. I got talking to a couple of lads cleaning windows last week and they said they’d never work alone and asked me how I foot my ladder. I explained that I use a ladder m8rix but they seemed shocked that I do it alone. When I explained I only do a small number of houses every 3 weeks they said if I wanted to go at it full time I’d need another cleaner. I was just just wondering what people’s opinions were on this. As I understand it most of you guys work alone ? 
Yeah most people work alone, i work as a pair, it certainly helps when it comes to ladder work, also big add on jobs get boxed off quickly. And the company is great! Working alone can be a bit demoralizing at times.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Am a one man band, and like it, had a mate helping for a week when he was between jobs,was ok and he was a mate so didn,t t*** it o** when helping. When you see two windies working together they probably operate as a pair,sharing everything equally, so not a boss and employee.

Yeah most people work alone, i work as a pair, it certainly helps when it comes to ladder work, also big add on jobs get boxed off quickly. And the company is great! Working alone can be a bit demoralizing at times.

I agree working alone can be demoralising. However, it seems the most logical if I were to start trying to build up more work with a view to going full time. Do most trad guys have a backpack or trolley for awkward windows ? These guys said if it was too awkward they just wouldn’t clean it. I think cleaning windows is an ideal business because of the fact you can do it alone and build up a customer base off your own back.

Am a one man band, and like it, had a mate helping for a week when he was between jobs,was ok and he was a mate so didn,t t*** it o** when helping. When you see two windies working together they probably operate as a pair,sharing everything equally, so not a boss and employee.
I’m pleased to hear you like it because I don’t think I’d have a problem working on my own on a full time basis. As long as it pays, do you ever have to miss customers due to the weather or do you always catch up with what work you have missed ? How often do you get behind due to the wind or rain etc ? 

I agree working alone can be demoralising. However, it seems the most logical if I were to start trying to build up more work with a view to going full time. Do most trad guys have a backpack or trolley for awkward windows ? These guys said if it was too awkward they just wouldn’t clean it. I think cleaning windows is an ideal business because of the fact you can do it alone and build up a customer base off your own back.
Yeah its entirely possible loads of people work alone, as do i if my brother is unwell. On the occasion i’ll drop him off on a pressure washing job while i do a window cleaning round, but usually its just more convenient to work together and youve got the extra pair of hands for lifting, footing, etc etc. you can afford to have a bacon bagel/little break without constantly worrying about the clock as the other is still working. Having someone to pass you items (hoses, drain rods, cordless drills, help move gutter vac about, untangling leads, assistance pulling downpipes off walls and footing ladders on dodgey ground etc, really makes those jobs easier rather than constantly coming up & down the ladder.

Even wfp guys wont clean some windows that are fitted in ridiculous places. Just let the customer know.

I have worked on my own for over 18 years now, first 10 years or so trad then wfp, Some lads just can't work on their own, I enjoy my own company and thoughts.

County Durham Lad

Last edited by a moderator:
Built it all, almost 100% refined compact rounds and earning  well

County Durham Lad

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve done a small stint on my own but mostly as a pair, as an employee, a business partner and now with an employee. If your cleaning traditionally then working as a pair is better for safety aspects as someone else has mentioned but overall I’d say it’s down to personal preference. I found it gets boring on your own. You can’t beat a bit of workplace banter to get you through the day.

I'm happy on my own!
A extra pair of hands would be nice but not worth the hassle or money.
I make a good amount of money and if I did want a day off I could at the drop of a hat without anyone else to worry about.
I also like my own company!![emoji16][emoji106]

Probably a day. I got 2 new customers last Saturday because the other windy disappeared. He appears every 3 months and the customers are fed up with him. They don't know what happens to him but if he keeps it up, he will lose all his customers. I just work alone but talk to all my customers that's why it takes me so long. Reliability is the name of the game. :1f609:  

Hard to make over £200 a day up here also. I did a house on Saturday, 4 small windows, 1 bay window with 3 small windows and pvc door and took a fiver. The other guy who let them down took £4.50, I thought no wonder he never came back. The downstairs asked me to do hers for a fiver and it took me five minutes. Upstairs windows take twice as long for same price. :1f633:

I now charge £7.00 as a minimum on new work, so I currently still have some longterm jobs just to fronts for a fiver which will be increased overtime, but ideally even in the North East of England you want your job average to be £10.00 a job

County Durham Lad

Hard to make over £200 a day up here also. I did a house on Saturday, 4 small windows, 1 bay window with 3 small windows and pvc door and took a fiver. The other guy who let them down took £4.50, I thought no wonder he never came back. The downstairs asked me to do hers for a fiver and it took me five minutes. Upstairs windows take twice as long for same price. :1f633:
You have to have the right work also. I was doin £25 per hour easily around 10/15 years back cleaning 3 bed semis for £4.50. That was 100% traditional as well.

You have to have the right work also. I was doin £25 per hour easily around 10/15 years back cleaning 3 bed semis for £4.50. That was 100% traditional as well.

Even a fiver is tough but they don't expect their pvc door cleaned nor the frames, so you can rush round them. Problem I have is I like to leave it all clean but takes more time. They are council houses so they are happy with the glass.

Back